USARL player signs contract down under

Ryan Burroughs, the USA Hawks fullback from this year's successful World Cup qualification and former American footballer, has just signed a contract with Wentworthville Magpies, the Paramatta feeder team. Good news and hopefully it will open eyes in Australia to the quality of players in developing nations and beat a pathway for them. Best of luck to him.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/american-ryan-burroughs-tries-a-reverse-jarryd-hayne-at-eels-20160227-gn59ad.html

Good player is Ryan. Fantastic runner of the ball and will probably play wing for Wenty in RMC good luck to the lad.

Edit: after reading his comments about playing on the wing; his attitude may not suit it haha! Maybe a gig at Sydney Shield level??

Worth noting that a big prop from Boston - Curtis Goddard has gone to a bush team in Australia as well. Good to see!

Brilliant!

I imagine the best way to get into an American continental market is to have a world class player or two in a top team, to promote the sport.

They tend to develop youngsters earlier than Europeans do so I imagine it wont be long before we get a good American, North Central or South, that the game can get behind to help promote any local leagues

Brilliant to see some coming through into the NRL feeder leagues and in the Leeds coach they might have a way into the Euro game as well as he suggested they are at a Championship level without the degree of game development we have here or in the Antipodes.

Natural athletic ability doesn't seem to be an issue so its down to game development and raising good athletes to an elite level within the sport itself

Not an easy task if you haven't been brought up playing a game but doable non the less

Again brilliant news and I hope the South American RL community, such as it currently is, can tap into this as well

This is really good news! Burroughs is an excellent athlete and has only been playing league for a couple of years. He's a very religious fellow and you won't see him involved in any boozed up shenanigans. :good::good:

I was once at College with a Morman, whose family was linked to Brigham Young. He drunk like a fish, had a penchant for Moosehead beer in those days. And he went religiously to Church; so works both ways

Crunchers Dad, on 27 Feb 2016 - 4:09 PM, said:

I was once at College with a Morman, whose family was linked to Brigham Young. He drunk like a fish, had a penchant for Moosehead beer in those days. And he went religiously to Church; so works both ways

I know mate! Just taking the ###### on all the offseason NRL shenanigans. I was being nice and not mentioning the chastity of small canines. ;)

Archived