Who misses professional winter rugby

NFL is sometimes played in terrible conditions but what ive noticed is in many games there are many vacant seats long before the end . Although its been mild today and Lincoln Field is still full so it should be it looks like the Eagles are going to the grand final .

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were to experience winter in Canada you would indeed never miss winter rugby. 

Someone may have already said this - I skipped from page 1 to here as my immediate thought when I saw the thread title was that if one likes winter rugby there are places here where one can play in winter conditions 365/7/24 and we Canadians will be on the sidelines laughing at them.... not for good reasons! :lol:

I know I am taking this all out of context, but a little humour on a Sunday evening...

On 20/12/2017 at 10:11 PM, Southerner80 said:

Just saying there's a lack of RL on TV right now. Having championship and below as winter leagues would solve this. 

I'm left to rely on union for entertainment in December and January... Never the most reliable option at club level. 

No thanks.

Have you any concept of how cold it was yesterday? I'm still shivering 18 hours later. Why I let my lads convince me to go to friendlies I don't know.

Does anyone seriously want to watch 26 blokes sliding around in mud, rather than running rugby on a dry track?

Or is it a case of "it's not Super League, so it doesn't matter?"

On 20/12/2017 at 10:38 PM, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Two thoughts, S80.

From a spectators point of view (ie actually at the game), winter rugby may not be a good idea, compared to sunning yourself on a balmy, late spring or early summer evening.  And you do need a crowd actually at the game to create the atmosphere for telly-watchers like me and you.

Second, with most of my interests, I actually like a break.  The appetite is duly whetted for when activity resumes.  For me, that's true of watching RL, playing table tennis, and singing in or directing choirs - whatever, the break's good!

So, no, I for one don't miss professional rugby league just now.

No way could I brave the freezing wind and rain that I remember from winter rugby.:negative:

I would just become an armchair fan.

People have now got so used to spring/summer games it would not work in a month of Sundays

Sorry but everyone seems to miss the point, the whole game switch was to improve the standard of the game and increase attendances at professional games, attendances, revenue and participation at amateur level, I would argue none of that has happened. Attendances at the professional games are at best stagnant throughout the game people speak with fork tongue as it appears they don’t go to either summer or winter.

My NCL club started pre season training  at the start of December, and a team local to me started in November, preseason friendlies, Challenge Cup and National Cup matches in January and February start of the season 3rd March for NCL and SL 1st February sorry it’s still winter, I went to watch an amateur game on Saturday there were 300 people there  most amateur clubs at any level would die for that size crowd.

The British weather can change at any time snow in May thunderstorms in June and in my view October, November, December being the best months to play and next to no games.

Our “A” team has entered the YML their season starts April and finishes first week in August, a 4 month season no wonder the lads go and play RU

Archived