Development Foundations

They will generally do 'good works', as befits their legal status as charities.  Typically, their will be an emphasis on community involvement in healthy recreation, primarily - though, intriguingly, not exclusively - through the medium of rugby league.  There is also likely to be an objective related to one of the 'classic' charity objectives such as the advancement of education (if I remember correctly, this has been one of the legally permitted objectives for a charity since the time of Elizabeth I !)

Each club's foundation is likely to be a registered charity - that is, registered as such with the Charity Commission (CC).  All such charities must submit annual reports, which are public documents.  They can be viewed online.  You 'google' "Charity Commission register" and you will be directed to the relevant page.  If you know the precise name or number of the charity you wish to examine, you will quickly get to their submitted documentation.  For instance, the York City Knights Foundation is no 1112571.  However, if you don't have such detail to hand, you can use the keyword facility to find what you want.

A charity's annual report will tell you much useful information, including (though this list is not exhaustive) the names of the trustees (and a brief description of the process for appointing trustees), whether the charity is also registered as a company limited by guarantee at Companies House, the official contact address, the aims and objectives of the charity, a resume of the year's activities, the income and expenditure details ('statement of financial activities') and a note of how many employees (if any) earned over £60k p.a.

So, if you wanted, Gubrats, you could probably check out all the RL club-related development foundations.  I say that because I think they will all be big enough to be CC-registered.  Very small charities (i.e annual turn-over of less than £5k) need not register with the charity commission, but some register with HMRC, so that they can claim back the tax benefit of Gift Aid on donations they receive (I am, coincidentally, a trustee of just such a small charity)

Interestingly, prompted by your thread, I sought info on a couple of RL-related foundations.  York City Knights website was excellent.  They explained the foundation's work very briefly, but also quoted its CC number, which made checking it on the CC register very easy.  By contrast - and I say this a bit sadly as a cherry-and-whites fan - it was hard to find an explicit reference to the Wigan Warriors' foundation on the club website.  However, by using the 'keyword' search facility on the CC register website, I tracked it down.  I'm afraid they have a poor recent record of being late in submitting the legally required documentation.

I hope the above helps.  the general advice I have offered in finding out about charities applies to all such bodies, of course, not just RL foundations.  As a former CC-registered charity CEO, I know a bit about these things!

9 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

They will generally do 'good works', as befits their legal status as charities.  Typically, their will be an emphasis on community involvement in healthy recreation, primarily - though, intriguingly, not exclusively - through the medium of rugby league.  There is also likely to be an objective related to one of the 'classic' charity objectives such as the advancement of education (if I remember correctly, this has been one of the legally permitted objectives for a charity since the time of Elizabeth I !)

Each club's foundation is likely to be a registered charity - that is, registered as such with the Charity Commission (CC).  All such charities must submit annual reports, which are public documents.  They can be viewed online.  You 'google' "Charity Commission register" and you will be directed to the relevant page.  If you know the precise name or number of the charity you wish to examine, you will quickly get to their submitted documentation.  For instance, the York City Knights Foundation is no 1112571.  However, if you don't have such detail to hand, you can use the keyword facility to find what you want.

A charity's annual report will tell you much useful information, including (though this list is not exhaustive) the names of the trustees (and a brief description of the process for appointing trustees), whether the charity is also registered as a company limited by guarantee at Companies House, the official contact address, the aims and objectives of the charity, a resume of the year's activities, the income and expenditure details ('statement of financial activities') and a note of how many employees (if any) earned over £60k p.a.

So, if you wanted, Gubrats, you could probably check out all the RL club-related development foundations.  I say that because I think they will all be big enough to be CC-registered.  Very small charities (i.e annual turn-over of less than £5k) need not register with the charity commission, but some register with HMRC, so that they can claim back the tax benefit of Gift Aid on donations they receive (I am, coincidentally, a trustee of just such a small charity)

Interestingly, prompted by your thread, I sought info on a couple of RL-related foundations.  York City Knights website was excellent.  They explained the foundation's work very briefly, but also quoted its CC number, which made checking it on the CC register very easy.  By contrast - and I say this a bit sadly as a cherry-and-whites fan - it was hard to find an explicit reference to the Wigan Warriors' foundation on the club website.  However, by using the 'keyword' search facility on the CC register website, I tracked it down.  I'm afraid they have a poor recent record of being late in submitting the legally required documentation.

I hope the above helps.  the general advice I have offered in finding out about charities applies to all such bodies, of course, not just RL foundations.  As a former CC-registered charity CEO, I know a bit about these things!

I am a founder and trustee of one , but my question was specific , is there such a thing as a ' Development ' foundation

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I am a founder and trustee of one , but my question was specific , is there such a thing as a ' Development ' foundation

And I was too. So I suspect we both know considerably more about club foundations than the one at whom I suspect your question is directed.

But I think others answering this question on this thread have maybe not read the actual question fully?  Since you were not asking about "Foundations", but about "Development Foundations", were you not?

The role, functions and activities of the former should be readily accessible online (although unfortunately the Bradford Foundation's website is being updated at the moment - that would be a good one to refer to). The latter are entitities that, from what bits I read (and can see) on the "Restructuring" thread, seem to exist only in Parksider's Parallel Universe, right?

And that, since Parksider has failed to explain what these unknown entities are, you are asking if anyone else can, right?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

1 hour ago, Adeybull said:

And I was too. So I suspect we both know considerably more about club foundations than the one at whom I suspect your question is directed.

But I think others answering this question on this thread have maybe not read the actual question fully?  Since you were not asking about "Foundations", but about "Development Foundations", were you not?

The role, functions and activities of the former should be readily accessible online (although unfortunately the Bradford Foundation's website is being updated at the moment - that would be a good one to refer to). The latter are entitities that, from what bits I read (and can see) on the "Restructuring" thread, seem to exist only in Parksider's Parallel Universe, right?

And that, since Parksider has failed to explain what these unknown entities are, you are asking if anyone else can, right?

It does seem unlikely that I'm going to get an answer from the ' expert ' on these things doesnt it ? , so hopefully in future he will be more clued up when attempting to ' lecture ' us mere mortals on what our clubs should be doing

Hopefully this doesnt cause any resentment on his part to me , as I already have enough ' foes ' from the Leeds area , for some reason we just dont seem to get on

Archived