RFL UNBELIEVABLE

silverfox

What are the people that's running this sport trying to do , Last season was bad enough when they changed the rules with 4 matches to go . Now they want the three overseas teams, to pay to enter the Challenge cup . The RFL invited them into the league so they should be treated the same as all the other clubs .  there excuse is when CATALAN played at Wembley ,the gate receipts were down , so they want them to compensate the loss . My 2019 wish list is that the RFL stop trying to make this great game a laughing stock and grab the headlines with something positive rather than something ridiculous .

18 hours ago, silverfox said:

What are the people that's running this sport trying to do , Last season was bad enough when they changed the rules with 4 matches to go . Now they want the three overseas teams, to pay to enter the Challenge cup . The RFL invited them into the league so they should be treated the same as all the other clubs .  there excuse is when CATALAN played at Wembley ,the gate receipts were down , so they want them to compensate the loss . My 2019 wish list is that the RFL stop trying to make this great game a laughing stock and grab the headlines with something positive rather than something ridiculous .

Too late for that as we have been a laughing stock for quite a while now.They do not care that gate receipts are down for lower league clubs due to poor away support from the expansion teams like Toronto,Toulouse,Catalan,Coventry,Skolars,West Wales,Hemel Stags and gloucester and Travel costs have become much higher for the likes of us who have to travel to these places.To me it should be about quality not quantity and decent investment in established teams will make for exciting games that supporters will want to see which will increase gates.

Take our league last season where any of the top 8 could beat each other yet the poor whipping boy's in Wales just made a mockery of the league and many supporters choosing to miss that fixture.I was very vocal last year of the Idiots at Red Hall and if there is a petition for a vote of no confidence in them I will be signing it.

1 hour ago, Cumberland Sausage said:

They do not care that gate receipts are down for lower league clubs due to poor away support from the expansion teams like Toronto,Toulouse,Catalan,Coventry,Skolars,West Wales,Hemel Stags and gloucester and Travel costs have become much higher for the likes of us who have to travel to these places.To me it should be about quality not quantity and decent investment in establishdd teams will make for exciting games that supporters will want to see which will increase gates.

Eh? If the current clubs cannot market an international like Toronto or Toulouse or even a visit from one of the bigger UK cities like Coventry or Skolars then I'd say the problem is very much with the traditional club.

Coventry were competitive against us last year at Derwent Park and seem to have built again. Whilst RL have lost Gloucester I was there when they beat us at Derwent Park in 2017 quite possibly because of us not taking them 100% seriously due to the expansion teams are ###### attitude of some of the support.

On investing in the established teams. If a club has been around for a 100 years it should be standing on its own two feet now.

With one or two exceptions I've found the new teams with their enthusiastic fans a breath of fresh air against the negativity and decline of the, 'we used to a big team and its so unfair', brigade.

20 hours ago, silverfox said:

there excuse is when CATALAN played at Wembley ,the gate receipts were down , so they want them to compensate the loss .

Loss on the day but lots of free very positive media coverage generated by Catalan Win. Surely the RFL could have capitalised on this to gain more for the game than they lost on the day? Improved sponsorship for an European / Northern Hemisphere Cup Competition - broadcast rights wider than the UK or France that sort of thing. 

A truly bizarre decision by the RFL.

3 minutes ago, Cl1998 said:

It’s like telling Liverpool or Man United to pay £500K to enter the FA cup or European cups 

How? They are 2 of the biggest teams in the world...

It's like asking Carlisle United to pay to enter the FA Cup ,just incase the impossible happens.

On 1/6/2019 at 6:28 PM, Worky said:

Eh? If the current clubs cannot market an international like Toronto or Toulouse or even a visit from one of the bigger UK cities like Coventry or Skolars then I'd say the problem is very much with the traditional club.

Coventry were competitive against us last year at Derwent Park and seem to have built again. Whilst RL have lost Gloucester I was there when they beat us at Derwent Park in 2017 quite possibly because of us not taking them 100% seriously due to the expansion teams are ###### attitude of some of the support.

On investing in the established teams. If a club has been around for a 100 years it should be standing on its own two feet now.

With one or two exceptions I've found the new teams with their enthusiastic fans a breath of fresh air against the negativity and decline of the, 'we used to a big team and its so unfair', brigade.

I take your points about marketing and i think Town have certainly stepped up their act on that front but considering most of the new clubs are in cities their fan base is very poor and does not seem to improve with very little away support following them.

I am not anti-expansion but it does need to be done correctly but what also needs addressed is the constant and bust antics of the likes of Leigh who practically got shot of players they could not afford last season yet this season are back at spending money as though it was water.The RFL investment needs to be going into grass roots as in Cumbria I fear we are losing far to many players out of the Sport which is then detrimental to the likes of Town,Haven and Barrow with less quality available from the amateur game.

2 hours ago, Cumberland Sausage said:

I take your points about marketing and i think Town have certainly stepped up their act on that front but considering most of the new clubs are in cities their fan base is very poor and does not seem to improve with very little away support following them

Aye true we're improving but did you look at what Coventry did when they had the Bulls visit last season?

The Event advertised on Enjoy Coventry

https://www.enjoycoventry.com/ents/event/1251/

The write up on the Coventry Blog with quotes from the Daily Mirror RL Correspondant and a local RU Blogger.

https://www.coventrybears.com/blog/a-great-day-for-the-bears

Nearly 1,500 at the Butts Park for the match (one of the biggest non-SL attendances of the weekend).

I've worked in the West Midlands for a few years so have a soft spot for Coventry and Telford Raiders.

The other thing the blog points out is that Coventry are competing whilst living within their means unlike a fair few of the Heartland Clubs.

Archived