Play The Ball Fiasco

39 minutes ago, the punt said:

There was an interesting discussion about the play-the-ball last night between the Sky commentators, Eddie Hemmings said that in Super League it's "appalling" and, of course, he's right.  Let's hope it can start a serious debate and we can "get the message out there" to the referees!  

It would help if the marker had to stand square but take two steps back allowing the tackled player room to play the ball properly.Without hands and knees getting in the way.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the lower leagues players sometimes get away with not playing the ball. The linesman doesn't do anything about it neither. Wonder what there for sometimes 

6 hours ago, the punt said:

There was an interesting discussion about the play-the-ball last night between the Sky commentators, Eddie Hemmings said that in Super League it's "appalling" and, of course, he's right.  Let's hope it can start a serious debate and we can "get the message out there" to the referees!  

I enjoyed that. I hope Hemmings continues to make constructive criticism before he signs off from Sky next month, demob happy style

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:21 PM, Man of Kent said:

The differences between Super League were very noticeable watching some of the opening round of the NRL. 

The 10 metres aren’t skinny, the defensive line doesn’t move until the ball is played with the foot, one-out passes are taken further forward and milking isn’t rampant. 

I suppose the most important elements are policing the 10 metres and playing the ball correctly.

The latter simply requires a directive but if we can’t have two refs then couldn’t touch judges have more responsibility for policing the 10 metres? 

Fully agree regarding touch judges. They should be more involved in the game. They can obviously monitor off side offences from play the ball. What puzzles me is the action of the ref when a try is scored. He always glances across to the linesman for what I assume is confirmation, the linesman being stood against the corner flag, usually about 50 yds away. If they can seek confirmation on such an issue, then they should be allowed to accept a linesmans decision on play the ball and ruck offences.

At least my original posting has stirred some interest? Maybe so much so! That on RL backchat yesterday, both coaches from York and Dewsbury stayed that players were “cheating” around the ruck area. The coach from York went as far as to say he didn’t coach any of those tactics! And what’s more if any of his players did what Tomkins does?  throwing  the ball at an opponent “HE WOULD BRING HIM STRAIGHT OF THE PARK”

very interesting! I hope the RFL are taking notice of the rumbling that is now growing very quickly?

Archived