15 Aug: SL: Leeds Rhinos v St Helens KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/08/19 at 18:45

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

It’s not bragging, I was merely stating that I’m getting bored of Saints winning every week and would prefer things to be more competitive. The fact that Wire are closer to London than they are Saints sums up how uncompetitive this season has been, in the league at least. Other people may not understand me feeling that way which is fine, I accept it’s probably unusual. 

Gosh.  I'm a Saints fan too and I'm not remotely bored of us winning every week!  After those turgid years of Cunningham, the brief interlude we have had with our present coach has been absolutely bloody wonderful!  I just hope we can win some more silverware this year too. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Saints have been good this season and deserve to win the GF, but let's be fair, the standard of the League has been probably the worst since SL started.

True but that's only because Leeds have been off the pace this year ?

7 hours ago, SilentAssassin said:

i started nothing. I said i believed the standards at the top end had dropped off significantly and if you read my posts above you will see that. Saints are a million miles ahead of the rest with a team that would compete well with the likes of Saints, Wigan, Bulls, Leeds and the Wire teams under Smith. a far from vintage Wigan have been poor much of the year up to the last couple of months but the league is that poor they are now on the verge of second spot. Cas are a shadow of the 2017 side yet still in with a great shout of a play off spot. Catalans and Salford on the cusp too despite some of the dross they have served up throughout the season. 

Anyway, it's all opinions. If yours is that everything is great then fair enough enjoy.

Don't know if this helps, but what I actually wrote was this: As for the standard of SL, it is in my view as high as it has ever been,  and has provided some excellent games. Saints in particular (and sadly) are an excellent team coached by an excellent coach. 

Not  "everything is great". That is misrepresentation of what I wrote.  Based on watching the game for 60 years plus, my opinion is that the game is faster and more exciting and more entertaining than ever. The players are fitter and faster. The gratuitous violence has been more or less eliminated and the players are more skilful and better trained than ever. Sure some games are bad, some are indifferent, some are great. My opinion is that on balance, there are more good games than bad. 

18 hours ago, SilentAssassin said:

from what i see. It's my opinion is that ok?

"The General Rugby League Forum. Discuss any Rugby League related topic in here."

The operative word being "discuss". You have made your opinion clear.  Don't expect everyone to agree. Do expect your opinion to be challenged.

Is that OK?

11 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

I often wonder about people who argue that 20 years of professionalism, full time training, improved strength and conditioning, better sports science, better video analysis and better coaching somehow has resulted in lower standards of player. How precisely would that occur? 

It isn't that the players have got worse. They are undoubtedly more athletic than they have ever been, but lots of the skills has gone from the game over the years, in favour of a more stereotyped game plan based around a brute force and pace approach. 

There are the odd players left in the game with genuine skill, Hastings and Austin are a couple that immediately spring to mind. But they are now the exception and really stand out. Whereas almost every team, even in the lower divisions had players capable of running a game and opening defences up. There was also a wealth of ball playing loose forwards in the game at one time too. They have all but disappeared too, in favour of playing another battering ram at loose forward, as the game has changed and evolved. It not to say the game is worse as such, just different.

Richie Myler is an decent example that shows the game is struggling a bit in the skills department. When a team like Leeds, with all of their resources and money have had to settle for a guy at halfback that is only top half CH, lower SL quality at best.

55 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

But why would these players end up with fewer skills? If I was coaching a team and I had the choice between 1) a big, strong prop 2) a big, strong prop who can pass too, every coach on the planet would choose option 2 and develop their skills accordingly. The ability to exhibit these skills because the defence is better is a different question entirely.

Richie Myler would look like a worldbeater playing against the defences of a couple decades ago. Poor defensive structures, dog-legged defensive lines, unfit players and no linespeed. That doesn't mean Richie Myler would have been more skillful as a player. He would just be under far less defensive pressure.

I take your point on the defensive structures, but I don't mean just the ability to pass or kick etc. it more the reading of the game and the inventiveness that has disappeared. Maybe it is partly due to the defensive structures and the slower play the ball we have now, compared to games in the 90's that has meant that players do not necessarily have to read the game like they used to have to.

Myler doesn't have the football brain that I'm talking about, he takes too many wrong options and lacks the inventiveness. That is what sets players like Hastings apart from him. 

12 hours ago, JohnM said:

"The General Rugby League Forum. Discuss any Rugby League related topic in here."

The operative word being "discuss". You have made your opinion clear.  Don't expect everyone to agree. Do expect your opinion to be challenged.

Is that OK?

Completely agree, but you asked for evidence of standards. I can't give evidence, it's all opinions on what we see, i gave you mine hence the- imo at the end of my post. I don't want to argue with you; i'm not here to convert you to my way of thinking. Like i said, if you are thinking it is all rosy in the garden enjoy.lets leave it there.

Archived