Sign in to follow this  
philipw

18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

13 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It was also an eye opener how far the women’s team are behind Australia and NZ - we just don’t have the athletes they do. I’m sure we’ll make vast improvements over the coming years but the schism is vast at the moment. Hardcastle impressed me though 

Having seen several Jillaroos v Ferns clashes over the last few years, I knew we'd find it hard against them. We do have quality, but like the men, we went for muscle over pace.

The women's NRL is quite a few few years of development ahead of the women's SL overall. We have individual talents who'd do very well in the WNRL, though.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The thing we need to learn is, that a 9s comp which contained none of the GB squad and was instead made up of players like Newman, Gildart, Handley, Walker, Evalds, Shaul, Trueman, Lees etc would still be a great comp to watch.

The England knights dont have any more games scheduled in at all. Players can get together, train together, have a development camp, play a 9s comp. 

And for places like wales and ireland and jamaica then can keep players in touch, get them playing together etc.

Cherrypick today's Knights side, and you'd have a pretty useful Nines squad. Evalds, Minikin, Richardson, and few more mobile, hungry young players. Call them the Knighnes, if you really hate the English language.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

I really do wonder why we find it such a surprise that Australia keeps unearthing such wonderful athletes in Rugby League. 

In the eastern states of Australia, Rugby League is the number one sport and all the talented athletes will gravitate to the sport. Over here we are a long way down the pecking order unless the young player has grown up in a specific 'League' area.

Our mens team are competitive despite the odds while the women will catch up after being exposed to the quality of play they need to aspire to.

Just a point on the coverage, the fawning of certain NRL players by Anasta and Walters was vomit inducing. Up there with Terry O’Connor and ‘he’s a quality player’. 

In particular their constant praise of Brian To’o. The guy is average at best. He can bust a tackle for sure but for every other one he does, he makes a mistake