Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
philipw

18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

Recommended Posts

Just now, Futtocks said:

It seems, from this thread, that a lot of sceptics have been very happy to change their minds. Some quite disturbing outbreaks of positivity at times.

Can honestly say I’d never seen the format before and would probably have thought how good can it be!

I’ve probably scoffed at the idea of a 9s tournament but can really see the selling point now.

It is brilliant entertainment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tommygilf said:

I think Sydney is just the wrong place to host this. They repeatedly don't turn out for internationals.

Yes, they seem to just switch off between the Grand Final and the start of the next season.

  • Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dkw said:

Other than being short, a double movement and a knock on it was a perfectly fine try... 

His spirit lives on !!

image.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Can honestly say I’d never seen the format before and would probably have thought how good can it be!

I’ve probably scoffed at the idea of a 9s tournament but can really see the selling point now.

It is brilliant entertainment.

I never saw the original World Nines all those years ago, but was immediately hooked by the Auckland Nines, especially the women's matches.


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Davo5 said:

His spirit lives on !!

image.jpeg

A statue of Bill Harrigan? :kolobok_wink:

  • Haha 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I never saw the original World Nines all those years ago, but was immediately hooked by the Auckland Nines, especially the women's matches.

Yes, it illustrated to me that the women’s game has a lot of potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EHO5EkJUYAIbtSj?format=jpg&name=small

  • Like 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that was more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be. And probably enjoyed watching the women more. Really great to see.

 

BUT, it's proven that the English game is so one dimensional. Most of these teams has so much flair, switching play from one side to the other, side steps, flick passes, dummies, speed, keeping the ball alive etc. We looked so out of touch with this concept and any of this list. We were awful, everyone else were entertaining and skillful. Coming from this I think we actually need a national 9's for sl and also a separate championship 9's. If only to improve our players' skill set. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, it looks like: 

- this form of the game is great to watch and levels the playing field; 

- it should be repeated. The plan is to play the World Cup every 4 years; 

- we should have more of this kind of tournament, domestically and internationally; and 

- we need to work much harder on publicly and selling it, but as ever the play on the field saved the days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to laugh when Aussie commentators said I think the refs fallen asleep there. I think Kendall carried on from where he left off last week DIRE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot find the figures but the crowds were an absolute disaster over the two days.

If they got more than 20k combined over both days I would be really surprised.

It must be a massive financial loss making exercise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

I cannot find the figures but the crowds were an absolute disaster over the two days.

If they got more than 20k combined over both days I would be really surprised.

It must be a massive financial loss making exercise.

...and that's why Sydneysiders can't have nice things. Hold it in a place where people appreciate good sport and good entertainment.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

True but I think Widdop was surplus. He can't go through gaps and if you're using several playmakers at some point they will need to support and go through gaps themselves and that's where Widdop doesn't offer enough in this format. The wingers were the biggest issue of course, but I think maybe another outside back or two in the team would have offered a bigger threat. Sacrifice one playmaker for a centre and I think the balance is better.

I'm not so sure, our highlight was the long range try with interplay between Tomkins and Widdop in game 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

...and that's why Sydneysiders can't have nice things. Hold it in a place where people appreciate good sport and good entertainment.

Where would that be..

It would have to be a place where Teams would bother turning up or it would be a disaster of a non event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

I thought Austin has been poor. Widdop a bit anonymous. 
 

I think it showed we took completely the wrong squad and completely the wrong tactics. 

Tomkins, Hardaker, Walker, Handley, Connor, Percival, Charnley, are the types of backs you need to be rotating through the squad with one of a Widdop, Austin, Gale etc. 

Those playmakers played three times and romped to victory in 2 of them. 

William's was a car crash, although I'd have taken him for his broken field running he just seemed to want to kick and appeared to be lacking confidence.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I'm not so sure, our highlight was the long range try with interplay between Tomkins and Widdop in game 1.

I think it was seeing Tom Burgess galloping down the left wing, and Liam Watts trying to chase a winger down on the other flank ? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scubby said:

I think it was seeing Tom Burgess galloping down the left wing, and Liam Watts trying to chase a winger down on the other flank ? 

Ultimately the problem is that we generally had 3 lumbering forwards on the field at any time, plus two lumbering wingers.

Tactically that meant we often went for three drives in a set and tbh it was all rather boring.

Who was our strike player that put fear in the opposition when we had half a chance through blistering pace?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Those playmakers played three times and romped to victory in 2 of them. 

William's was a car crash, although I'd have taken him for his broken field running he just seemed to want to kick and appeared to be lacking confidence.

Williams is not a Test player,

Neither is Blake Austin, not even close IMO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Ultimately the problem is that we generally had 3 lumbering forwards on the field at any time, plus two lumbering wingers.

Tactically that meant we often went for three drives in a set and tbh it was all rather boring.

Who was our strike player that put fear in the opposition when we had half a chance through blistering pace?

Who was it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Ultimately the problem is that we generally had 3 lumbering forwards on the field at any time, plus two lumbering wingers.

Tactically that meant we often went for three drives in a set and tbh it was all rather boring.

Who was our strike player that put fear in the opposition when we had half a chance through blistering pace?

Was it some kind of cost cutting exercise? Honestly, why have Hardaker, Lomax and Gildart sat in the stands just because they arrived on Tuesday? It is 9s not a test match - they would have benefited from the run out. 

Edited by Scubby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

Williams is not a Test player,

Neither is Blake Austin, not even close IMO

We should remember that these are not tests. But I agree our selections were poor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Was it some kind of cost cutting exercise? Honestly, why have Hardaker, Lomax and Gildart sat in the stands just because they arrived on Tuesday? It is 9s not a test match - they would have benefited from the run out. 

It's a warm up for his NRL chums.

Whitehead, Graham, Sutton, Widdop, Burgess etc. were gonna get in either way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...