Same Stadiums, Different Games?

1 hour ago, Bod said:

Hopefully this was an April fool. Why are some of you so keen on costing the regular supporter a fortune to watch our sport?

How is it costing a fortune? Its actually 1 less game in London than there would have been this year and no magic weekend, the game has to make a living somehow.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It’s getting those sheer numbers over to Euston and Kings Cross when in reality people aren’t leaving the stadium until probably 8.15pm at the earliest for a 6pm kick off. It’s enough of a struggle as it is on Grand Final night to get people to Manchester Piccadilly and on from there. 

I'd wager that TfL is a bit better than Manchester but I agree an earlier kick off would seem likely, if only by an hour or so.

12 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Very much so. Imagine trying to sell your sport as a serious entity by having its elite game at a tired ground like Elland Road. 

It was going to hold England v Australia and has held many sold out internationals and World Club Challenge Finals before.

In normal times I wouldn’t suggest Elland Road to hold a final, but with the finals likely to be rearranged at short notice, lots of fans will have been financially hit, holding either rearranged final away from the north of England would be a mistake imo. 

12 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I'd wager that TfL is a bit better than Manchester but I agree an earlier kick off would seem likely, if only by an hour or so.

Sky will decide the Grand Final kick off time, I doubt they will move away from their favoured evening slot, another reason why the Grand Final should not be held in London. Most fans book tickets and travel at short notice the week before the Grand Final. For travel to Manchester that’s not too bad, for London to Leeds/Wigan/St Helens, little train travel will be available. 

41 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It was going to hold England v Australia and has held many sold out internationals and World Club Challenge Finals before.

In normal times I wouldn’t suggest Elland Road to hold a final, but with the finals likely to be rearranged at short notice, lots of fans will have been financially hit, holding either rearranged final away from the north of England would be a mistake imo. 

By the time we are talking about,  Leeds United may be a Premier League team again, so availability of stadium may be an issue, by which I mean  they may not want rugby on it, or need the money. What about St James Park as a final venue.

41 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Sky will decide the Grand Final kick off time, I doubt they will move away from their favoured evening slot, another reason why the Grand Final should not be held in London. Most fans book tickets and travel at short notice the week before the Grand Final. For travel to Manchester that’s not too bad, for London to Leeds/Wigan/St Helens, little train travel will be available. 

Sky will also be flexible as the always have been and are with the current scenario.

If its 1 year in London which is compensated by having the cup final up north I don't see the problem. Leeds has trains to London literally every 30 minutes and in any case as with the cup final I'd wager a significant amount of people, perhaps a majority, either will live or stay in and around London over night. I'm also sure we'd see a boost because its a new stadium as we have seen previously with St James's park for example; without doubt this was the game earmarked by many for the test series.

As there’s a very good chance even by the end of the season there will still be social distancing I can see the entire season if it starts being played behind closed doors. So expect the CC and the GF to be played at Leigh or Headingley. 

Archived