A 14 team Super League is common sense says Kear

As no one really knows what going to happen this season or even next season . We have time to look at every option . The main aim has to be the World Cup . We cant extend this season to long giving players little rest time between the end of this season and start of next , come the world cup players would be worn out .

Chief Crazy Eagle

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, DEANO said:

I would say finishing 5th in a 12 team league is pretty average

In an uncapped, spend what you like league maybe, but with a salary cap surely the point is that the top should be closer to the bottom, ie, everyone is average?

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

In an uncapped, spend what you like league maybe, but with a salary cap surely the point is that the top should be closer to the bottom, ie, everyone is average?

Doesn’t pan out like that does it

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

On 10/05/2020 at 14:36, Toby Chopra said:

I agree. I don't mind if 5 or 6 get into the playoffs, and I suppose there is some merit in rewarding the top couple of teams somehow. But one of the few things I miss from the 8/8/8 period is that we had a proper semi-final round, and it was always a cracker. Last 4 teams standing, all with a shot at the title going for it on the same weekend, and a great lead-in to the GF. Better than the final in some ways. Now we have a dud 'losers final' just before the grand final, which is a really anticlimax, and the favourite not playing. 

In the same way, in many ways I love the NFL's Championship Sunday more than the Superbowl, two games back to back, 4 potential champions at the peak of form, and it's all about the sport, not dominated by the showbiz of the final. 

I'd simplify our playoffs: teams 3-6 play quarter finals, with top two having a bye, and then hosting the semis. Would love to see them back to back on a Saturday or Sunday evening, but probably be stuck on Thursdays and Fridays... 

These are more or less exactly my thoughts. 

The top 5 seems actually set up to include games that feel pointless and are intended to be repeated later in the series. With a top 6 as TC describes above, you reward the top 2 sides with a home game to get into the GF, the next two have to win a home game and then an away game to get there, and the 5th and 6th have to win two away games to get there. Seems spot on to me.

Archived