Will Ottawa become France's 3rd pro team?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

One thing that I noticed when I first moved here was that going to a sports game is more than the game, it’s a day out and everyone goes with the intention of having fun, in fact if it’s not fun then the team won’t survive as there plenty of competition for the customers $, not just sports.

I think thats the way for us to boost crowds. We can't just magic up diehards out of nowhere.

I'm not saying we should ignore the diehards or anything like that, I guess I am one! But if we can't boost those numbers on that fanbase, we need to grow diversity of the fanbase

Just now, Jayme2020 said:

Its very very easy to get from Montreal to Ottawa the only issue is traffic in Montreal and Ottawa.

Surely there's a direct rail from one city to the other which would be easier than getting a car? 

Just now, The Daddy said:

Surely there's a direct rail from one city to the other which would be easier than getting a car? 

Rail here is nothing like the UK. 

I don't want to say its useless using it between cities but its not the most reliable for getting somewhere on time.

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

Not sure about Canada but my experiences south of the their border suggest that Trains are just not the done thing when people can (and do) drive.

8 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

How easy is it to get from Montreal to Ottawa on gameday? 

its an easy 2 hr drive,,that hway route is generally not too busy  i dont know about cross town access to the stadium a local will have to comment

1 minute ago, RobertAM said:

its an easy 2 hr drive,,that hway route is generally not too busy  i dont know about cross town access to the stadium a local will have to comment

The stadium is in the Glebe traffic can be very very bad on weekends.

2 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Its been a while since i've been to the stadium but its not a place I like driving to.

What i'm hoping happens is what they do with the CFL team and include a free bus pass in the cost of the ticket. They actually put on special busses to those games so that you can drive to your local park and ride and then bus straight to the game.

I'm not sure if that will happen initially though.

1 minute ago, freddyyow said:

Its been a while since i've been to the stadium but its not a place I like driving to.

What i'm hoping happens is what they do with the CFL team and include a free bus pass in the cost of the ticket. They actually put on special busses to those games so that you can drive to your local park and ride and then bus straight to the game.

Wolfpack do a free GO train and TTC deal so think the Aces will jump on that right off the bat

10 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Only tourists and retired people with plenty of time on their hands (and plenty of $) would think of using VIA Rail, you drive, fly or (out east) bus (no Greyhound Canada buses in BC any more).

Just now, freddyyow said:

Many in the Glebe have been pushing for less parking maybe offer free bus passes for all events at TD.

Just now, freddyyow said:

Oh cool, I didn't know that.

sorry should have said discounted..ie you buy  combo ticket game and transit itsa good deal

think Ottawa being in will push Wolfpack attendance figures too,  once fans see a RL game they will want to see more as it is as good as advertised. So expect we will see Aces fans in their gear at Lamport.

My clothes closet now is full of RL gear, Wolfpack, York City Knights, Batley Bulldogs, Bradford Bulls. and in 2021 I suppose I will have to make room for Aces shirts!!

What effect do you think an Ottawa v Toronto SL game would have? I'm sure it would get a huge attendance with fans from all of Canada's major east coast cities. 

The effect would be beyond massive now just attendance wise but you would see block parties etc.

What effect do you think an Ottawa v Toronto SL game would have? I'm sure it would get a huge attendance with fans from all of Canada's major east coast cities. 

I think they will organize some friendlies and they will be jammed

Just now, RobertAM said:

think Ottawa being in will push Wolfpack attendance figures too,  once fans see a RL game they will want to see more as it is as good as advertised. So expect we will see Aces fans in their gear at Lamport.

My clothes closet now is full of RL gear, Wolfpack, York City Knights, Batley Bulldogs, Bradford Bulls. and in 2021 I suppose I will have to make room for Aces shirts!!

I also think even with Ottawa in league one there will be a rival between the 2 clubs.

1 minute ago, Jayme2020 said:

I also think even with Ottawa in league one there will be a rival between the 2 clubs.

The exciting thing about all these developments on the Canadian east coast is that it creates a new stronghold of the sport. It's got to have a positive impact. I'm seeing alot of new Canadian RL fans on this site and social media 

This thread is so uplifting. The way you people talk puts some of our die-hards to shame. Good luck to you all. I hope its a massive success.

18 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I honestly can't wait for the day that this actually becomes a reality. I really hope they are able to figure out a way to play some sort of games against each other ahead of the possibility of meeting each other in a SL game.

18 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

This derby potential is why I think "expansion areas" should be introduced in pairs where possible. Catalans v Toulouse, Toronto v Ottawa would be massive games with increased relevance to locals.

Archived