Photo editor

I've just got a new PC (Windows 10, upgrade from Windows 7) and have been working out how to edit my photos. They don't tend to need much, a bit of shadow here, a blemish there, some horizon straightening.

Although it was primarily a photo management tool, Windows Live Photo Gallery had a super-easy suite of tools which did pretty much everything I needed to do, all in one place. I could edit a photo in well under a minute. Its auto adjust feature, while not perfect, also wasn't too bad at working out what I would end up doing manually.

However, Microsoft have not only discontinued this but made it impossible as far as I can see to install in Windows 10. Because they're ****s.

I've tried a couple of alternatives out and everything out there seems to massively over-complicate it and you have to ferret around in all sub menus and different screens to do things.

All I need is something which will do the four or five basic tasks as in the screen grab below - this is what WLPG had all in the same place, ready to get at.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent replacement which will do the same without installing an overkill piece of software?

windows-live-photo-gallery-wav.jpg

Not sure if either will do all you need, but the main free alternatives for image manipulation are Paint.net or Gimp.

BTW, Paint.net has nothing to do with Microsoft Paint.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Not sure if either will do all you need, but the main free alternatives for image manipulation are Paint.net or Gimp.

BTW, Paint.net has nothing to do with Microsoft Paint.

GIMP may seem like overkill, much like getting a 747 when you need a push bike, but it’s beyond worth it. By far the best free tool I’ve ever used for any purpose. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Gimp is very good.

I get Adobe via work currently. Lightroom does all you need in terms of retouching and boosting (for most purposes). If you're looking for free alternatives, google alternatives to lightroom rather than alternatives to photoshop.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived