Fri 9 Oct: SL: Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors KO 7.45pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/10/20 at 19:15

12 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

The modern game is all about what happens in the last 10m.  In that sense I'm glad Wigan are not at brilliant in the middle 80.

Obviously the main aim is to get the balance right, which we haven't got imo. Plays 3 and 4 in the opposition 20 for Wire are often negative plays (not always) simply setting up for a floated cross field kick. 

The fact that talent like Ashton, Ratchford, Austin, Clark, BMM and Widdopp are playing like that leads me to only one conclusion. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Obviously the main aim is to get the balance right, which we haven't got imo. Plays 3 and 4 in the opposition 20 for Wire are often negative plays (not always) simply setting up for a floated cross field kick. 

The fact that talent like Ashton, Ratchford, Austin, Clark, BMM and Widdopp are playing like that leads me to only one conclusion. 

Apart from 1 error Wigan fielded kicks really well.  Austin generally I think kicks well.   Warrington lost concentration after pressure and were left short when Farrell scored.  But in all these things with a close game the bounce of the ball can count as things proceed.  

Wigan are always looking to play out on the edges and are good at making space there.  Being selfish I hope Gildart does not get an Aussie offer, and I'm looking forward to seeing him and Farrell and Bateman playing together.

On 09/10/2020 at 21:33, Futtocks said:

The Ginger Pearl scores! 

The Oxymoron returns.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

53 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I much prefer the best backrower in Superleague tag.

More realistic label for sure. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

On 10/10/2020 at 19:48, Rupert Prince said:

The modern game is all about what happens in the last 10m.  In that sense I'm glad Wigan are not at brilliant in the middle 80.

I thought Wigan wrestled back control of the game because they improved their defensive play in and around Warrington's 40m and forcing the kick from poorer positions and hence Wigan returning from better positions than last 20m plus Warrington taking a few riskier off-loads.  In other words it wasn't just the last 10m.   

Same applied for Leeds v Wigan in the semi - it was Leeds defensive efforts in  and around the 40m forcing Wigan to kick from poor positions, etc etc...

Yep I know the game has changed somewhat, but we seem to have less 6 again sets now the rule has settled and the defensive effort in middle is still a huge factor where you start your 6.

Archived