Catalan Reserve Grade

http://www.catalansdragons.com/en/articles-9/209-8073-reserve-team-squad-unveiled/

There looks like a lot of French names in that Reserve grade squad. Am I correct in thinking this is a good sign for French Rugby League ?

Any ideas who are the French born players in that list ?

On 07/10/2020 at 06:08, Man of Kent said:

That’s the St Esteve-XIII Catalan squad, aka Les Baby Dracs, who play in Elite 1 (as does Toulouse’s reserve grade side TO Broncos) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Estève_XIII_Catalan.

Probably all of them are French. The original Catalan club was formed in 1934...

I imagine you are right, MoK, with one possible exception.  One of the squad is Tiaki Chan who I think is the son of former Dracs' player, and now sporting director, Alex Chan.  I do not know whether Tiaki will consider himself French or a New Zealander, if he finds himself in contention for international honours with the former.

It's good to see a couple of union players - Cherifi and Payrou - joining to try their hand at league.

The Toulouse reserves are still being called Toulouse Broncos on the FFR 13 website, but on their own one, they seem to be styled now as Toulouse Olympique Elite.

The only time I ever have doubts about the Toronto thing is when I read about what appears to be happening in France. What with its Rugby League history, the success of Catalans, the developments around Toulouse, the `high performance centre` being built and now the list of players above about which you say that most will never get a chance. Not to mention there seems to be a lot of committed Rugby League loving people involved. I sometimes do wonder whether money may be better invested in this part of the world, certainly at least initially. Anyway I have no desire to start a debate on that topic here.

On 13/10/2020 at 16:55, ShropshireBull said:

If you were looking to 'invest' on the continent, a team in the north of Catalonia (where the game has some footprint) to enter Elite League and act as a vehicle for a catalan national team would be the bet. 

What footprint is there in the North of Catalonia, do they already play RL there? Good stuff if so. 

Archived