Challenge Cup Final Viewing Figures

On 27/10/2020 at 12:43, Hela Wigmen said:

I cannot see how an annual flogging off England grows the game in France. 

In 2010 England beat France by 60 points in Leigh.

Since that game, France has only played two games against England at home.  In 2011, they played in front of 16,866 fans and in 2016 it was 14,276.

I am no expert on the French domestic game but I would be very surprised if a game of Rugby League in France has attracted more fans since 2010 than these two games.

Personally, I think it would be valuable if we could see 15 to 20k fans attending test matches in France every year. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Since that game, France has only played two games against England at home.  In 2011, they played in front of 16,866 fans and in 2016 it was 14,276.

I am no expert on the French domestic game but I would be very surprised if a game of Rugby League in France has attracted more fans since 2010 than these two games.

Personally, I think it would be valuable if we could see 15 to 20k fans attending test matches in France every year. 

Key is Dunbar to get the Dragons on-side with the federation, full house in Avignon Toulouse or Perpignan on a Friday night with the French having a full strength team: 20 points + to England but would do wonders for FRL:)

Paul

27 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I remember when France played New Zealand in Avignon in the 2013 World Cup. It was a great 17,000 strong crowd and the atmosphere was electric with the French players crying during the French national anthem. It was probably a bit too big an occasion for them and they lost all their composure, and they didn't really perform as a result. It certainly showed what is possible though and the French players would certainly get better playing in more games and atmospheres like that. 

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

I remember when France played New Zealand in Avignon in the 2013 World Cup. It was a great 17,000 strong crowd and the atmosphere was electric with the French players crying during the French national anthem. It was probably a bit too big an occasion for them and they lost all their composure, and they didn't really perform as a result. It certainly showed what is possible though and the French players would certainly get better playing in more games and atmospheres like that. 

It's crazy isn't it. The highest attendances in France for Rugby League games in the last decade have been test matches against tier 1 nations and yet some people insist that playing internationals will not help grow the game in France.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It's crazy isn't it. The highest attendances in France for Rugby League games in the last decade have been test matches against tier 1 nations and yet some people insist that playing internationals will not help grow the game in France.

Its even crazier when the reasons for not doing so are based purely on half hearted, mid week games in places like Leigh. Games that were that poorly marketed that even some RL fans were unaware that they were taking place.

14 hours ago, Damien said:

Its even crazier when the reasons for not doing so are based purely on half hearted, mid week games in places like Leigh. Games that were that poorly marketed that even some RL fans were unaware that they were taking place.

Any test here should be in a non heartlands area my suggestion would be Portsmouth or Plymouth.

* Announce it a good 6/9 months (Even a year is better in advance)

* Tie up marketing with the local football clubs newspapers radio stations 

* Development officers going into the schools 3/6 months prior 

15/20/25000 crowd easily if done right:)

Paul

Archived