Development of the England Academy team from 2018

At the end of the 2022 domestic season and the start of the international calendar, I thought I would take a look back at the 2018 Academy teams in the series that England won 2-0 and see how they are progressing.

England: Harry Newman, Morgan Smithies, Innes Senior, Jack Welsby, Louis Senior, Oliver Wilson, Harry Smith, Tom Holroyd, Cameron Scott, Ethan Havard, Callum McLelland, Owen Trout, Joe Shorrocks, Sam Walters, Muizz Mustapha, Corey Johnson & James McDonnell.

So, one player who is going to be representing England at the World Cup (Weslby), one who may well have been in it were not for injury (Newman) and a few others who are progressing very nicely as Super League players in Smithies, Smith, Havard, Trout, Walters, Senior and Trout.  I still hope that Tom Holroyd can fulfil his potential.  Some others Super League periphery (if that's the right word). 

Australia: Tesi Niu; Stephen Crichton, Bradman Best, Star To'a, Zac Cini; Jock Madden, Tom Dearden; Ratu Nanovo, Ryan Gray, Jayden Tanner; Juwain Compain, Matthew Dragisic; Jalan Bazzaz. Subs: Tommy Talau, Timanu Alexander, Beni Teaupa, Franklin Pele.

Tesi Niu will be playing for Tonga in the World Cup and Stephen Crichton for Samoa.

After that, Tom Dearden has had a very good season for the Cowboys and Bradman best remains a quality first grade player who perhaps hasn't kicked on quite as well as the Knights would have hoped (but he has had an injury hot 2022).

Any of these you are particularly disappointed to not see progress or still to break through?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

At the end of the 2022 domestic season and the start of the international calendar, I thought I would take a look back at the 2018 Academy teams in the series that England won 2-0 and see how they are progressing.

England: Harry Newman, Morgan Smithies, Innes Senior, Jack Welsby, Louis Senior, Oliver Wilson, Harry Smith, Tom Holroyd, Cameron Scott, Ethan Havard, Callum McLelland, Owen Trout, Joe Shorrocks, Sam Walters, Muizz Mustapha, Corey Johnson & James McDonnell.

So, one player who is going to be representing England at the World Cup (Weslby), one who may well have been in it were not for injury (Newman) and a few others who are progressing very nicely as Super League players in Smithies, Smith, Havard, Trout, Walters, Senior and Trout.  I still hope that Tom Holroyd can fulfil his potential.  Some others Super League periphery (if that's the right word). 

Australia: Tesi Niu; Stephen Crichton, Bradman Best, Star To'a, Zac Cini; Jock Madden, Tom Dearden; Ratu Nanovo, Ryan Gray, Jayden Tanner; Juwain Compain, Matthew Dragisic; Jalan Bazzaz. Subs: Tommy Talau, Timanu Alexander, Beni Teaupa, Franklin Pele.

Tesi Niu will be playing for Tonga in the World Cup and Stephen Crichton for Samoa.

After that, Tom Dearden has had a very good season for the Cowboys and Bradman best remains a quality first grade player who perhaps hasn't kicked on quite as well as the Knights would have hoped (but he has had an injury hot 2022).

Any of these you are particularly disappointed to not see progress or still to break through?

Tommy Talau missed the entire 2022 season through injury I believe and Franklin Pele has been ripping it up in the NSW cup for newtown jets and is highly rated.

Also on a more sour and serious note Bronson xerri was banned from playing by the NRL in 2020 after testing positive for steroids after bursting on to the scene in 2019 while another promising player Ratu Nanovo was banned for life in 2020 after stabbing 3 people in a brawl.

Another player who imo looks like he could kick on is west tigers 3/4 starford Toa who joined the tigers from newcastle knights.

• Like 1

As a Wigan fan I think we’ve got 3 in Smith, Havard and Smithies who are getting close now to that full international set up.

I know people don’t like his conduct sometimes but Smithies has been absolutely brilliant this season. It’s such a tough position to crack, with Radley and Knowles both top class but if that progress continues, he’ll go close. Harry Smith will probably get minutes tonight and he’s had a good season as well. He’s building in confidence and he’s worked so hard on his defence and goal kicking. Havard I probably want a bit more from. He’s always a handful but it feels like he plays a bit within himself. I say that because I think he’s the most naturally talented prop I’ve seen come through at Wigan in my time watching us. A bit more aggression and consistency and he could be anything. It does take most props a bit longer to hit top form generally. 

In terms of other players, I recall a lot of hype about Corey Johnson. It’s good to see him back in the game. It’ll be interesting to see where he ends up however with Leeming and O’Connor now seemingly in front of him. The two real standouts are Newman and Welsby but I think that group will end up with 7 or 8 full internationals in time and that’s a good amount. 

Edited by WN83
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Tommy Talau missed the entire 2022 season through injury I believe and Franklin Pele has been ripping it up in the NSW cup for newtown jets and is highly rated.

Also on a more sour and serious note Bronson xerri was banned from playing by the NRL in 2020 after testing positive for steroids after bursting on to the scene in 2019 while another promising player Ratu Nanovo was banned for life in 2020 after stabbing 3 people in a brawl.

Another player who imo looks like he could kick on is west tigers 3/4 starford Toa who joined the tigers from newcastle knights.

Do you know if Bronson Xerri is likely to come back.  He was a very talented player - and others have returned successfully from bans.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, WN83 said:

As a Wigan fan I think we’ve got 3 in Smith, Havard and Smithies who are getting close now to that full international set up.

I know people don’t like his conduct sometimes but Smithies has been absolutely brilliant this season. It’s such a tough position to crack, with Radley and Knowles both top class but if that progress continues, he’ll go close. Harry Smith will probably get minutes tonight and he’s had a good season as well. He’s building in confidence and he’s worked so hard on his defence and goal kicking. Havard I probably want a bit more from. He’s always a handful but it feels like he plays a bit within himself. I say that because I think he’s the most naturally talented prop I’ve seen come through at Wigan in my time watching us. A bit more aggression and consistently and he could be anything. It does take most props a bit longer to hit top form generally. 

In terms of other players, I recall a lot of hype about Corey Johnson. It’s good to see him back in the game. It’ll be interesting to see where he ends up however with Leeming and O’Connor now seemingly in front of him. The two real standouts are Newman and Welsby but I think that group will end up with 7 or 8 full internationals in time and that’s a good amount. 

I like the way Smithies is developing.  Tough as nails and if he can add a bit more handling to his game then I agree he can get international honours.

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Do you know if Bronson Xerri is likely to come back.  He was a very talented player - and others have returned successfully from bans.

Yes, he plans to............he could be back training back end of next year but as his ban is until Nov 23, it'll be 2024 before he's back playing. He could do a stint in France to get some footy into him, but doubt he'd want to miss out on any pre-season if he is signed by someone

Ex-Cronulla Sharks drug cheat Bronson Xerri takes huge step towards returning to the NRL after ban | Daily Mail Online

Bronson Xerri closing in on NRL return - NRL News - Zero Tackle

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Was a great series of games that year.

Two years later the England academy was due to tour Australia, my lad was in the squad and the tour was cancelled due to COVID, real shame that has affected the development of those age groups 

It's a massive shame, I feel for your lad David.

But 2 years on in 2022 shouldn't the Aussie Schoolboys be over here again this year?

It seems like we are the only sport still reducing our calendar and blaming Covid.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It's a massive shame, I feel for your lad David.

But 2 years on in 2022 shouldn't the Aussie Schoolboys be over here again this year?

It seems like we are the only sport still reducing our calendar and blaming Covid.

I hope they return soon, Internationals at that age is excellent for their development

My lad is to old for academy now, he dropped out the game for a while but is planning returning in the reserves next year, all being well he will start pre season next month.

I'm happy as I enjoy watching him, but also happy for the sport, we really should be keeping talent in the game. He may not come through but glad he will hopefully get a chance to play regularly at a good level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I hope they return soon, Internationals at that age is excellent for their development

My lad is to old for academy now, he dropped out the game for a while but is planning returning in the reserves next year, all being well he will start pre season next month.

I'm happy as I enjoy watching him, but also happy for the sport, we really should be keeping talent in the game. He may not come through but glad he will hopefully get a chance to play regularly at a good level.

When I was 17 I was playing under 17s/19's RL in NW Counties and for my college (St John Rigby in Orrell).

Wigan Borough announced that there would be a college tour to Australia that year and there was a series of trials and training camps and I got down to the final squad but missed the cut. For a young kid in the 80's it would have been a dream.

In my opinion I missed out for two reasons. 

One I started playing late and only became a good player in my Uni days.

And two, I did my usual and put my foot in it within ear shot of the coach... but that's a story for another day!

• Like 1

Just now, Dunbar said:

When I was 17 I was playing under 17s/19's RL in NW Counties and for my college (St John Rigby in Orrell).

Wigan Borough announced that there would be a college tour to Australia that year and there was a series of trials and training camps and I got down to the final squad but missed the cut. For a young kid in the 80's it would have been a dream.

In my opinion I missed out for two reasons. 

One I started playing late and only became a good player in my Uni days.

And two, I did my usual and put my foot in it within ear shot of the coach... but that's a story for another day!

Sorry you missed out, we did get to go with Saints academy the year earlier, it was a great experience 

Have you been since and you have to tell me what point two is 😁

Just now, David Dockhouse Host said:

Sorry you missed out, we did get to go with Saints academy the year earlier, it was a great experience 

Have you been since and you have to tell me what point two is 😁

I have been to Australia yes.  For a holiday but didn't get to see any rugby.  When I retire I will do a couple of months there and take in all the teams and grounds I see every week in the NRL.

So, the story.

After the very last squad training session, before the final touring party was to be announced, I was sat in the canteen after the session and a friend said..

"So, you think you are in then?"

Me, talking about the coach...

"Depends on what that short arsed little c### thinks".

And he was stood behind me.

Not the first and not the last time I have put my foot in it.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have been to Australia yes.  For a holiday but didn't get to see any rugby.  When I retire I will do a couple of months there and take in all the teams and grounds I see every week in the NRL.

So, the story.

After the very last squad training session, before the final touring party was to be announced, I was sat in the canteen after the session and a friend said..

"So, you think you are in then?"

Me, talking about the coach...

"Depends on what that short arsed little c### thinks".

And he was stood behind me.

Not the first and not the last time I have put my foot in it.

Oh noooo, 😁 I think most of us have done similar in the past, tough price to pay though.