19 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

How rookie do we mean?

For me it's a player who's not played any serious amount of first team.

The three at Wakefield who look possibilities are.

Oliie Greensmith, 20, Centre, England U19, absolute giant, 6'5'' and 17 stone!

Ysuf Aydin, 20, Prop, played for Yorkshire, Turkey. 6'1'' 16 stone (for now)

Dane Windrow, 18, Back row, 6' 2'' 16 stone

Harry Bowes, 18 Hooker, nippy and aggressive.

I’d agree and say around 6-12 1st team games for “rookies” while a “breakout” year would be a previous season’s rookie looking to cement his place in the matchday 17.

22 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

How rookie do we mean?

The definition for rookie of the year award is no more than 12 games I think. 

Looking forward to see how Dominic Young goes with the Newcastle Knights this year as well.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Surely he’ll be affiliated with a NSW cup team this year?

He has been named in the Newcastle NRL 30 man squad.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 26/01/2021 at 04:42, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I’d agree and say around 6-12 1st team games for “rookies” while a “breakout” year would be a previous season’s rookie looking to cement his place in the matchday 17.

Based on this, at Featherstone I'll nominate Gareth Gale, who has only played three first team games yet is 27!

He's a product of Featherstone Lions, signed for us a couple of years ago after scoring a great try in pre-season at Castleford, but didn't get a first team chance and returned to the Lions.

Rejoined before last season and looked like he was cementing a 1st team place on the wing before lockdown.

He's big and pretty quick, looks first in line for the right wing spot, and if Tom Holmes plays at half back on that right hand side he could be one of the leading try scorers in the Championship - Holmes helped create hatfuls of tries for Luke Briscoe in his record-breaking season in 2017 and did the same for Conor Carey in 2019.

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Sure but you’d expect him to feature heavily for the knights NSW cup this season.

I would yes. But on the Knights website he is listed in the NRL team but not the NSW Cup team (even though the likes of Hymel Hunt and Star To'a are.

I know you can't read too much into these things but on the Knights Website Star To'a is named in the NRL squad and the NSW Cup squad but Bradman Best is named in just the NRL squad. Of course that could just be the whims of the Knights Web administrator.

Anyway, Dom Young is 19 and  6'5" and 16+ stone... there are plenty of younger and smaller backs to get a debut in the NRL.

There may be a few ahead of him in the pecking order but he may get a chance in the year. Plus he will develop well at Newcastle which is good for him and England (potentially) although, depending on your attitude not great for English Rugby League to lose young Hodgson, Young and Rushton to the NRL before we get a chance to see them here.

By the way, I am ok with three young guns going over... it is hardly a tsunami yet and good luck to them for trusting themselves to succeed.

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would yes. But on the Knights website he is listed in the NRL team but not the NSW Cup team (even though the likes of Hymel Hunt and Star To'a are.

I know you can't read too much into these things but on the Knights Website Star To'a is named in the NRL squad and the NSW Cup squad but Bradman Best is named in just the NRL squad. Of course that could just be the whims of the Knights Web administrator.

Anyway, Dom Young is 19 and  6'5" and 16+ stone... there are plenty of younger and smaller backs to get a debut in the NRL.

There may be a few ahead of him in the pecking order but he may get a chance in the year. Plus he will develop well at Newcastle which is good for him and England (potentially) although, depending on your attitude not great for English Rugby League to lose young Hodgson, Young and Rushton to the NRL before we get a chance to see them here.

By the way, I am ok with three young guns going over... it is hardly a tsunami yet and good luck to them for trusting themselves to succeed.

I’m not at all bothered about the best young talent heading down under. In fact the more the merrier for me if we(England) want to keep up with both Australia and New Zealand and possibly the likes of Tonga and Samoa on the international stage.

3 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I’m not at all bothered about the best young talent heading down under. In fact the more the merrier for me if we(England) want to keep up with both Australia and New Zealand and possibly the likes of Tonga and Samoa on the international stage.

You’ll likely see him for Jamaica first if the World Cup goes ahead.

On 25/01/2021 at 08:46, Kirmonds pouch said:

How rookie do we mean?

All three (😉) look fine prospects but I expect only Aydin to get the game time needed to catch the eye.   

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived