Is the World Cup in doubt?

Postponing the tournament may not be a financially feasible option for the RLWC2021 organisers due to the heavy reliance on support from the British Government.

If the British Government continue to push forward with their approach of saying 'Britain is open' and will be hosting events this year, there is a risk that they would withdraw their funding if the tournament is postponed 12 months, as it would not be a good look for them.

As such, unless as other have stated, a significant variant of COVID pops up and the UK government shuts everything down, I'd be surprised to see the tournament postponed (I'd expect it to be cancelled all together before it was postponed).

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Postponing the tournament may not be a financially feasible option for the RLWC2021 organisers due to the heavy reliance on support from the British Government.

If the British Government continue to push forward with their approach of saying 'Britain is open' and will be hosting events this year, there is a risk that they would withdraw their funding if the tournament is postponed 12 months, as it would not be a good look for them.

As such, unless as other have stated, a significant variant of COVID pops up and the UK government shuts everything down, I'd be surprised to see the tournament postponed (I'd expect it to be cancelled all together before it was postponed).

10 teams will have to pretty much come from Australia + New Zealand.

Would be interesting to know how ticket sales are going seems to be most expensive first and cheaper later.

Its a really tough call this one.

Paul

right - am not naming names of individuals or the companies they may or may not work for - you will just have to trust me on what i was told this morning 

most importantly the wc is NOT JUST the senior mens team world cup 

the wheelchair comp includes countries like Brazil that have let covid run its course for eg 

all the govts of different countries have dealt with the pandemic in very different ways and each govt has different views on how their citizens should be mixing 

there are contractual agreements to full fill with the bbc and other broadcasters 

on the PLUS  side - players in the nrl have been polled as to if or not they want to travel/ take part etc and they almost all said they were up for it 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

if the worst was to happen- the wc would not be played in 2022 due to a clash with the soccer wc 

i want the wc to happen as much as anyone - lets hope things can be sorted 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

right - am not naming names of individuals or the companies they may or may not work for - you will just have to trust me on what i was told this morning 

most importantly the wc is NOT JUST the senior mens team world cup 

the wheelchair comp includes countries like Brazil that have let covid run its course for eg 

all the govts of different countries have dealt with the pandemic in very different ways and each govt has different views on how their citizens should be mixing 

there are contractual agreements to full fill with the bbc and other broadcasters 

on the PLUS  side - players in the nrl have been polled as to if or not they want to travel/ take part etc and they almost all said they were up for it 

Again, if the Olympics goes ahead fine, then the World Cup will too.

The only problems will relate to (non)vaccinated athletes and access from countries on the UK's "red list". The Olympics are solving this by vaccinating all athletes (with vaccines made in Brazil!), and they already have the concept of an athletes village. By mid Autumn the vaccination programmes are likely to be better progressed around the world and should be virtually completed in the UK - so it will come down to whether unvaccinated athletes can be vaccinated.

Archived