Brett Morris announces retirement

Dual premiership-winner Brett Morris has received a standing ovation from his Sydney Roosters teammates after formally retiring from the NRL.

Key points:

• Brett Morris said "the time was right" to hang up his boots after 16 seasons in the NRL
  • He retires with a premiership with the Dragons in 2010 and the Roosters in 2019, 18 Tests for Australia and 15 State of Origin games for NSW
  • The 34-year-old holds fourth position on the all-time try-scorers' list, with 176

Morris suffered a season-ending ACL injury against Newcastle last month.

He made the inevitable announcement on Monday that he was hanging up the boots.

Every member of Roosters' 2021 playing and coach staff, as well as Morris's family and several friends, were at the emotional announcement at the SCG.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-07/sydney-roosters-brett-morris-retires-from-rugby-league/100195712

It was always on the cards, after that injury. I'd have liked to see him bow out differently. A model professional.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived