Jump to content

The Broadcasting and Business side of the NRL.


Recommended Posts

Anyone wishing to post articles, comments, information or even ask questions on the broadcasting, i.e. , T.V. ratings, broadcast deals, mediums, side of the business or on the financial side of the NRL: NRL and Club revenues, sponsorships and other revenue streams, please feel welcome.

To kick the ball off ` Viewers per game averages 2017 - 2019.`

                                                                 FTA                                        Pay TV

Brisbane                                            700 000                                     260 000

Melbourne                                         640 000                                     250 000

NQ. Cowboys                                    635 000                                     245 000

Rabbitohs                                          620 000                                     230 000

Parramatta                                        595 000                                     245 000

Cronulla                                             590 000                                     220 000

Roosters                                            585 000                                     230 000

Warriors                                             600 000                                     215 000

Tigers                                                560 000                                     235 000

Penrith                                               570 000                                     225 000

St. George                                         590 000                                     230 000

Titans                                                 585 000                                     205 000

Canterbury                                         570 000                                    220 000

Canberra                                            550 000                                    230 000

Manly                                                 540 000                                     225 000

Newcastle                                          525 000                                     220 000                                                 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)

This doesn`t quite belong on this thread, but it`s tangentially linked to what type of sports product has the most appeal.

This is a tweet from Sportsindustry culled from a Telegraph piece.-

"Despite a shocking weekend of blowouts, Fox Sports has achieved two all-time NRL ratings records. The Warriors/Dragons Fri night was the highest 6pm game ever with 419k viewers while Broncos/Sharks had Sun 2pm record 386k viewers".

The STB figures for the two games were 254k and 247k respectively. These are comparatively impressive in their timeslots.

This is further indication that streaming is only adding viewers to Fox League, i.e. Kayo is taking few if any subscribers away from the Fox box. If the rises are at the expense of anyone`s ratings, it must be Channel 9. @unapologetic pedant Posted by Unapologetic Pedant on the `Fumbleball shows its fear of the NRL again` thread three days ago.

I`ve been thinking about starting this thread for a while and your post above made recently has inspired me to finally do it.

Those Sharks/Warriors figures are incredible, 165 000 viewers via streaming and even the gross number 419k is quite incredible.

Interesting to know how those streaming figures would be affected by a match that was FTA, possibly they are just  people who otherwise would have watched it on ch9.

One thing I have been meaning to tell you, as part of the extended broadcast deal with Fox, the NRL withheld the mobile streaming rights from Telstra, who in case you are unfamiliar are a large Mobile and Telecommunications company and principal naming rights sponsor for the NRL for the last 20 years.

 A couple of things on that, Telstra are half owners of Foxtel, as in Fox/Telstra, so the withholding of mobile rights from Telstra has most likely has led to the boost in streaming figures on Kayo. This has been compounded by the fact that even though those mobile streaming rights weren`t due to expire until the end of the current agreement, Telstra since they weren`t able to renew handed them in and decided to discontinue. Being half owners of Foxtel they probably feel they pick the business up through Foxtel anyway.

Interestingly Telstra pays the afl  $ 50m/yr for streaming rights. So whether the withholding them from Telstra and giving the rights to Foxtel led to any major up-grade in the extended NRL/Foxtel deal, we don`t know because no figures have been released publicly.

P.S. Sydney is in hard lock down and that would be responsible for the jump in Sydney NRL numbers, just goes to show, if people are made to stay at home, they will watch the NRL

 

 

Edited by The Rocket
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Graham said:

What would the Broncos’ viewing figures be if they hadn’t had such a shockingly poor season (so far)?

If you`re alluding to the figures posted above, they are an average from 2017-2019.

Broncos ratings have taken a bit of a hit this year for obvious reasons. Likewise the Brisbane FTA NRL ratings across the board. I don`t have collated figures, but my week-to-week impression is that the drop isn`t enormous.

Brisbane metro ratings for Cowboys games are often higher than average.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If business is partly bums on seats then I suppose this is relevant.

From an article headed ‘AFL grows TV viewership during 2020 to stretch lead over NRL’


“There are 1,456,000 TV viewers of the NRL aged under 35 and 1,448,000 aged 35-49, although both were down on a year ago. The positive news for the NRL is the growing TV viewership for people aged 65+ which increased 6,000 (+0.5%) to 1,327,000.”

26 Apr 2021

Anyway, good to see a decent balanced spread of ages watching NRL including plenty of younger ones.

Edited by Graham
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Graham said:

From an article headed ‘AFL grows TV viewership during 2020 to stretch lead over NRL’


“There are 1,456,000 TV viewers of the NRL aged under 35 and 1,448,000 aged 35-49, although both were down on a year ago. The positive news for the NRL is the growing TV viewership for people aged 65+ which increased 6,000 (+0.5%) to 1,327,000.”

26 Apr 2021

Anyway, good to see a decent balanced spread of ages watching NRL including plenty of younger ones.

If AFL has got a bit of a jump on NRL among under-49 people, it could be the enduring effects of the AFL`s participation drive over the past 20-30 years with Auskick. During most of that time Australian RL neglected participation. The SL war was probably the start of that.

In the past 5-10 years, they`ve got their act together. Particularly in female and non-contact forms. All this should feed through into greater popularity and higher ratings in the coming decades.

Yesterday`s Bulldogs/Roosters game rated 296k on Fox League. Surprisingly high.

Channel Nine had well over a million for Ash Barty`s win. The Aussies, like the Americans, still seem to have a yen for Wimbledon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Television ratings overhauled to give better indication of audience numbers (theaustralian.com.au)

Will be interesting to see what effect this has on League ratings overall.

OzTAM, owned by the free-to-air networks, compiles the ratings and the daily reports will likely see audience numbers tuning into the various station’s key prime-time shows significantly increase given the popularity of streaming and catch-up viewing.

The new reporting model will allow catch-up television services including ABC iview, 9Now, 7Plus and 10play and subscription services, including Kayo and Binge to be included.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/07/2021 at 05:10, Graham said:

If business is partly bums on seats then I suppose this is relevant.

From an article headed ‘AFL grows TV viewership during 2020 to stretch lead over NRL’


“There are 1,456,000 TV viewers of the NRL aged under 35 and 1,448,000 aged 35-49, although both were down on a year ago. The positive news for the NRL is the growing TV viewership for people aged 65+ which increased 6,000 (+0.5%) to 1,327,000.”

26 Apr 2021

Anyway, good to see a decent balanced spread of ages watching NRL including plenty of younger ones.

Afl in Melbourne always rates the house down but their figures during last years 4 month lock-down were next level. Mental figures sometimes over 400 000 while about 20-30 00 would watch the same game in Sydney.

Interestingly Sydney Leagues ratings have spiked during our latest lockdown. Last Sunday League actually outrated the fumbleball  nation wide for the first time in I don`t know how long.

Interesting to note that people will watch the League if they are made to stay at home, suggests a lot of latent fans out there.

There was an interesting comment posted in one of the papers in relation to the wallabies/France union match. " Is this the sort of viewing that will have the u20`s tuning in and staying tuned in ?" for the union I would presently say unlikely, League, the product is good just need to get the blow-outs sorted, afl is facing a scoring drought, it`s an issue that is going to have to be addressed sooner rather later, that game needs goals. So I would say League is in a pretty good position moving forward presently relative to the other codes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/07/2021 at 01:41, unapologetic pedant said:

If AFL has got a bit of a jump on NRL among under-49 people, it could be the enduring effects of the AFL`s participation drive over the past 20-30 years with Auskick. During most of that time Australian RL neglected participation. The SL war was probably the start of that.

In the past 5-10 years, they`ve got their act together. Particularly in female and non-contact forms. All this should feed through into greater popularity and higher ratings in the coming decades.

Yesterday`s Bulldogs/Roosters game rated 296k on Fox League. Surprisingly high.

Channel Nine had well over a million for Ash Barty`s win. The Aussies, like the Americans, still seem to have a yen for Wimbledon.

Interesting re. Wimbledon. I'd love to see a representation of demographic for those who watch tennis. I'd imagine it's very middle class, and older generations. I don't see it cutting through to u30s. I've always viewed it as a leisure activity rather than a sport, a bit like golf. That's not to say that athletes at the top of the game aren't deserving 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Storm hits the 27 000 membership mark.

Storm break all-time membership record - Storm (melbournestorm.com.au)

Rugby League clubs have traditionally struggled, or certainly at least, failed to prioritise club membership amongst fans.

Great to see year-on-year growth at the Storm as they pursue this valuable revenue source.

Rather than relying on fans just turning up on game day and paying their entrance fee, the Storm realise, like any good business, the value of having your revenue up front. 

Join Your Storm for 2020 - Storm (melbournestorm.com.au)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/07/2021 at 00:10, The Rocket said:

Television ratings overhauled to give better indication of audience numbers (theaustralian.com.au)

Will be interesting to see what effect this has on League ratings overall.

OzTAM, owned by the free-to-air networks, compiles the ratings and the daily reports will likely see audience numbers tuning into the various station’s key prime-time shows significantly increase given the popularity of streaming and catch-up viewing.

The new reporting model will allow catch-up television services including ABC iview, 9Now, 7Plus and 10play and subscription services, including Kayo and Binge to be included.

Can`t get into the posted article, but ratings for "consolidated 7" have started to be published. I assume these are purportedly more reliable figures, calculated after 7 days. When the algorithms have had more time to think about it.

Of the lists I`ve seen so far, it seems to have made little difference to the various Footy offerings.

The only substantial changes to the overnight numbers I can discern are big increases for some children`s programmes and an episode of something called "Farmer wants a wife".

The latter must have featured an exceptionally charismatic protagonist. Anyone we know?

Edited by unapologetic pedant
grammar
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a tough time to be in the business of NRL.

The expense  of uprooting the game and moving it lock stock and barrel to Qld is a double whammy. 

  • There’s the huge expense and upheaval.
  • The majority of club members aren’t getting their home games and the reality/ buzz of live RL
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Graham said:

What a tough time to be in the business of NRL.

The expense  of uprooting the game and moving it lock stock and barrel to Qld is a double whammy. 

  • There’s the huge expense and upheaval.
  • The majority of club members aren’t getting their home games and the reality/ buzz of live RL

There talking about a $40 m ( 22m pound ) cost to the NRL alone, and that I dare say doesn`t include the cost to the clubs you mentioned. This will be just the excuse the clubs need to put the kybosh on any expansion plans. It will take every bit of V`landy`s crash or crash through mentality to get that one up now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Can`t get into the posted article, but ratings for "consolidated 7" have started to be published. I assume these are purportedly more reliable figures, calculated after 7 days. When the algorithms have had more time to think about it.

Of the lists I`ve seen so far, it seems to have made little difference to the various Footy offerings.

The only substantial changes to the overnight numbers I can discern are big increases for some children`s programmes and an episode of something called "Farmer wants a wife".

The latter must have featured an exceptionally charismatic protagonist. Anyone we know?

Any rumours that the Welsh edition of 'Farmer wants a Wife' featured a large number of Sheep are to be strictly ignored😐

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Autex 'as committed as ever' to Vodafone Warriors - Warriors

Almost two years into full ownership of the Vodafone Warriors, Autex has renewed its total commitment to the club.

Autex had been sole owner only a matter of months when the Covid-19 pandemic struck last year, severely impacting both its West Auckland-based business and the NRL franchise it had acquired in September 2019

Rob Croot Vodafone Warriors Chairman said "Put simply, we love rugby league and we want nothing more than the Vodafone Warriors to fulfil their potential in the NRL and to make New Zealand proud,” he said, as Autex eyes its second anniversary as outright owner.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sydney Roosters once again leading the way in how a 21st century professional sporting organisation should be run.

Sydney Roosters Launch Business Club App Alongside Bundeling - Roosters

The Sydney Roosters are proud to launch the Official Sydney Roosters Business Club App, partnering with communication platform Bundeling.

Headquartered in the Netherlands, Bundeling focus on creating solutions to transform the way in which people communicate with one another, how to maintain a strong and well-connected business network and how to stay up to date and informed.

The market leader has already partnered with more than 500 organisations worldwide, including over 150 professional sports clubs – with the Sydney Roosters being the proudest new addition to that list.

The brand-new Sydney Roosters Business Club App has been designed for those in the Club’s Business Network to maintain communication and network ahead of the Club’s upcoming events, and will be launched this Wednesday July 28. 

Sydney Roosters Chief Operating Officer Jarrod Johnstone believes the Business Club App is the next step in truly connecting the Club’s Business Club Network.

“Bundeling have proven to be a market leader in communications and technology, and we are proud to have them as a partner as we look to expand our Business Club Network,” he said. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I watched the Melbourne/Manly game in the company of Channel Nine today. The coverage is shockingly bad. Normally I only see their highlights. It takes a whole game to realise just how awful they are. The contrast with Fox League is stark.  Nine is more like the garbage routinely foisted on us in the UK.

The commentators are incapable of tactically following the game, they can`t distinguish what is significant from what is not. When they do notice something, it`s reactive. And the reaction is often too late.

The final Storm try summed it up. A shift on last tackle set up a brilliant Munster 40/20, on the back of which Olam scored off a NAS offload. The result was well beyond doubt at that stage, but even so it was a passage of play that encapsulates why the Storm are premiership favourites.

The commentators spent most of the above prattling about Billy Slater`s possible QLD Origin involvement. It was like a few blokes down the pub rambling away on their pet themes whilst there`s a game on in the background.

We can`t know if Nine are wilfully harming RL to drive down the cost of the next deal, or just inadvertently incompetent. Either way, something has to change on FTA.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

88k watching NRL in Melbourne on Friday. Seems quite good, but not sure what to compare it with. Anybody know whether it was on the main or secondary 9 channel?

At the same time an unbelievable 632k Victorians were being entertained by the fumbling. (what is wrong with these people?)

Oddly enough, 93k in Melbourne watched the pre-match NRL show.

The NRL ratings in Adelaide and Perth were 6k and 7k respectively. This is where we really fall down. Having a dog in the competition fight would surely make a difference. But we`re told that "Rugba League" shouldn`t bother with "rusted-on AFL States".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

NRL 2021: Television ratings; Fox League and Channel 9 surge in numbers (theaustralian.com.au)

The opening week of the finals has been a record-breaking ratings bonanza for Fox League. The four finals were the four biggest rugby league games in subscription television history, and may have strengthened the claims for a 17th team as the ARL Commission grapples with its clubs and broadcasters over the prospect of expansion.

Remarkably, the game between Souths and Penrith was among the top 10 shows in subscription television history, a sign that the code has put its troubles behind it in the run-in to the grand final.

I thought we finally got to see the advantages of the new rules, especially in the Souths/Panthers encounter, in a contest between two good sides who commit minimal errors and have the discipline to avoid six-again calls through lazy or stupid play. The result was an end-to-end gripping encounter where skill and discipline decided the outcome.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

NRL 2021: Television ratings; Fox League and Channel 9 surge in numbers (theaustralian.com.au)

The opening week of the finals has been a record-breaking ratings bonanza for Fox League. The four finals were the four biggest rugby league games in subscription television history, and may have strengthened the claims for a 17th team as the ARL Commission grapples with its clubs and broadcasters over the prospect of expansion.

Remarkably, the game between Souths and Penrith was among the top 10 shows in subscription television history, a sign that the code has put its troubles behind it in the run-in to the grand final.

I thought we finally got to see the advantages of the new rules, especially in the Souths/Panthers encounter, in a contest between two good sides who commit minimal errors and have the discipline to avoid six-again calls through lazy or stupid play. The result was an end-to-end gripping encounter where skill and discipline decided the outcome.

 

 

 

 

 

Brilliant viewing results and all would have been very well entertained by a brilliant game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Brilliant viewing results and all would have been very well entertained by a brilliant game.

Yeah it was a pretty good game wasn`t it, we were barracking for Souths so it had that real edge to it where we weren`t sure if they could hang on, and to see that kid Taaffe taking those bombs, especially that one up against Crichton, just capped the whole thing off.

Penrith`s loss has really set up the last three weeks I reckon, we`ve got Penrith vs. Parra, then probably Penrith vs. Storm, that`s the GF come a week early and then the GF itself. Manly seem to have come out of this ok now as well, you`d have to think they`ll beat the Roosters and they`d then fancy themselves against Souths. Any way lots to look forward to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I thought we finally got to see the advantages of the new rules, especially in the Souths/Panthers encounter, in a contest between two good sides who commit minimal errors and have the discipline to avoid six-again calls through lazy or stupid play. The result was an end-to-end gripping encounter where skill and discipline decided the outcome.

Had it not been for exceptional Rabbitohs defence, the outcome of such a tight contest could have been decided by yet another deplorable call against a defender tackling a kicker. (Koloamatangi on Cleary)

As is customary, the media failed to even think of examining whether the charge down rule is a factor.

I`ve said elsewhere that kick pressure is becoming nigh impossible. Play at the ball and don`t regather - back to one. Play at the kicker and you risk the even worse result of a penalty where the kick lands. All defenders can safely do is move in the direction of the kicker and hope to get in his eyeline. 

The distorted balance of the rules affecting kick pressure has a profound impact on the way RL is currently played. Someone like Nathan Cleary is better able to control the game when he knows opponents are frightened to hamper his kicking game. 

If the kicker didn`t have so much time, his team couldn`t execute the same suffocating kick chase. Teams with dynamic back threes would regularly have greater attacking options. It would be a way for teams with aptitude for razzle-dazzle to counter the strategically ruthless style of teams like Melbourne and Penrith.

Edited by unapologetic pedant
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Had it not been for exceptional Rabbitohs defence, the outcome of such a tight contest could have been decided by yet another deplorable call against a defender tackling a kicker. (Koloamatangi on Cleary)

As is customary, the media failed to even think of examining whether the charge down rule is a factor.

I`ve said elsewhere that kick pressure is becoming nigh impossible. Play at the ball and don`t regather - back to one. Play at the kicker and you risk the even worse result of a penalty where the kick lands. All defenders can safely do is move in the direction of the kicker and hope to get in his eyeline. 

The distorted balance of the rules affecting kick pressure has a profound impact on the way RL is currently played. Someone like Nathan Cleary is better able to control the game when he knows opponents are frightened to hamper his kicking game. 

If the kicker didn`t have so much time, his team couldn`t execute the same suffocating kick chase. Teams with dynamic back threes would regularly have greater attacking options. It would be a way for teams with aptitude for razzle-dazzle to counter the strategically ruthless style of teams like Melbourne and Penrith.

Agree with all of that. Pressure on the kicker is near on non existent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Had it not been for exceptional Rabbitohs defence, the outcome of such a tight contest could have been decided by yet another deplorable call against a defender tackling a kicker. (Koloamatangi on Cleary)

As is customary, the media failed to even think of examining whether the charge down rule is a factor.

I`ve said elsewhere that kick pressure is becoming nigh impossible. Play at the ball and don`t regather - back to one. Play at the kicker and you risk the even worse result of a penalty where the kick lands. All defenders can safely do is move in the direction of the kicker and hope to get in his eyeline. 

The distorted balance of the rules affecting kick pressure has a profound impact on the way RL is currently played. Someone like Nathan Cleary is better able to control the game when he knows opponents are frightened to hamper his kicking game. 

If the kicker didn`t have so much time, his team couldn`t execute the same suffocating kick chase. Teams with dynamic back threes would regularly have greater attacking options. It would be a way for teams with aptitude for razzle-dazzle to counter the strategically ruthless style of teams like Melbourne and Penrith.

Well put and given that I have not once ever heard any one discuss, or even mention for that matter a potential change to the charge-down rule I am fast coming to the conclusion the idea has never crossed any one of our so-called experts minds.

The papers were full of articles this week about the terror that Nathan Cleary was going to rain on the young Souths fullback, about half way through the game it appeared to me that getting to the fifth and Cleary putting up one of his variety of bombs seemed to be Penriths` whole game plan. It only reinforces the notion of the kicker as a protected species - and as you said, to the detriment of the game overall.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...