Stadium updates .......

2 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

I see there has been a "major step forward" in the borough park revamp. £235k has been released so plans can be drawn and planning submitted. I hope that the drawings are almost already done, as by the time a spade goes in the ground the money release deadline might have expired.

I wonder if there will be a period where fans can both clubs can look at the plans and suggest improvements, or have they left it last minute on purpose so they can say "here it is like it or not as we have a deadline to meet"? I have to be honest in that when I came out of the Carnegie many moons ago I was enthused and sure that it was the future for both clubs. But I've completely lost faith in the project. Looking back at the website in February 2023 the update was "We can now report that our project has been allocated an initial fund of £50,000 from Allerdale Borough Council to complete work necessary to satisfy the final funding conditions. Within weeks this will enable us to begin to drawdown from the £6.4m and proceed with the real work of specifying the detail of the stadium. We will keep you posted at every stage!  So the "within weeks" is now over 52 and there's still nothing to see other than a conceptual drawing that be be nothing like reality. I understand that there will be work going on in the background as they must have spent the £80k somewhere, but why say within weeks?  

In the last 18 months Town have gone from strength to strength, especially off the pitch. Will this shared version of Borough park allow us to keep growing? I understand DP is old and has high maintenance costs, but we are the masters of our own destiny there, I'm starting to wonder if the Borough park bus shelter project will stop that. Hope I'm wrong. UTT

I think there could have been some sketches for fans to see what's being planned. I will be disappointed if they come with "this is what you're getting" and it's not what we expected.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rex3 said:

I agree with Voodoo that fans need to be involved more. Last year we were promised a public meeting in tge New Year about the plans . Come on Tiwn Directors make sure it takes place soon.

Also no mention of the sale of Derwent Park land and whether those funds will be earmarked for the new stadium or will they go to help pay off Copelands inherited debts?

Having said that I believe an inspiring new stadium (and the architect's sketch looks good, not a tin sheets bus shelter after all!) will reap big rewards for both clubs.

There's been loads of local engagement in Maryport over their regeneration schemes, there's something on facebook every week, but I've never heard of anything similar happening in Workington or Cleator Moor who both got lots more money that Maryport did from the levelling up funds.

I'm sure our BOD have a clear idea of what they need from the stadium as its mostly influenced by the IMG report, so all written down in black and white and they will have a clear idea of what needs spent where in order to get more stadium points.