I think this is a huge mistake by the NRL

Technically the players are just getting the money back from the pay cut they took because of the pandemic, which I don't begrudge them.

However the fact that the NRL only has the surplus it has now because V'landys gutted grassroots, junior development, and a bunch of other extremely important things is very concerning, especially considering that most of them were all underfunded to begin with.

What're you gonna do I guess, the players are entitled to the payments, but while the NRL continues to ignore anything outside of pro tiers the AFL continues to increase investment into the grassroots and keeps marching north as a result.

15 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Technically the players are just getting the money back from the pay cut they took because of the pandemic, which I don't begrudge them.

However the fact that the NRL only has the surplus it has now because V'landys gutted grassroots, junior development, and a bunch of other extremely important things is very concerning, especially considering that most of them were all underfunded to begin with.

What're you gonna do I guess, the players are entitled to the payments, but while the NRL continues to ignore anything outside of pro tiers the AFL continues to increase investment into the grassroots and keeps marching north as a result.

Very true. If it’s in the collective agreement, then they are due.

The players are only getting a percentage of the increased profits. Therefore there should be proportionate profit to throw to grassroots footy.

I am actually surprised to have learned that over half the contracted NRL players earn $150k or less per annum.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2022 at 18:42, The Great Dane said:

Players are under payed, quite right for it to go there. 

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

Archived