Sat 30-Sun 31 Jul: The Betfred Championship - Summer Bash Match Thread

4 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

We'll need to agree to disagree on that.  

I regard it as an egregious infringement of my civil liberties.

You were on private property.Either you abide by the rules set down by the owners, and show a little respect for people trying to enjoy themselves around you, or you leave. "Civil liberties" don't enter into it.

Edited by M j M
  • Like 5

this is going to get the thread locked.  What we all can agree on is that doing the Bash on the cheap in a basic city with nothing to attract the fans other than the games is a disaster.

Either scrap it, or put it back in a non RL location so its a day out for the supporters, and not just another away game on the calander

• Like 5

I wasn't going to go initially, as a Leyther who likes Blackpool I was a bit miffed it got moved to Leeds.  But decided to go and it was just ok. Hopefully back at Blackpool next year and I'll be there whether were in SL or not.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, M j M said:

You were on private property.Either you abide by the rules set down by the owners, and show a little respect for people trying to enjoy themselves around you, or you leave. "Civil liberties" don't enter into it.

As I said, we’ll need to agree to disagree. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Rules are for other people.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Patx71 said:

I wasn't going to go initially, as a Leyther who likes Blackpool I was a bit miffed it got moved to Leeds.  But decided to go and it was just ok. Hopefully back at Blackpool next year and I'll be there whether were in SL or not.

You will be in SL.

On 31/07/2022 at 21:34, The Blues Ox said:

Its nice to have the event but could they not decide the fixtures after a good number of rounds? I mean what difference would that make if you just decided it were 1v2, 3v4, 4v5 etc after x amount of rounds? At least it would not be stacked in some teams favor then.

This for me. You could build from starting with the relegation 4 pointer and end with 1st vs 2nd. The round would have much more impact and fixtures could be set two weeks before the event. I would rather Batley play the next in the league than relegation fodder!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

19 hours ago, crashmon said:

Are you sure that they did not get the senior management of London Broncos to organise this, as this sounds very close to what happened with London at the grand opening at PL

The personnel for RL and many other hangers on were too busy getting fed and watered at a posh hotel to worry about what was actually happening. It’s systematic of the culture in this country st present - look after yourself and if you are lucky enough to be at the top or inner circle, stay there, don’t make waves and keep taking the spoils!

why organise for the club furthest away to play first agains one of the clubs closest to the ground! Shocking planning unless of course no one cares about London - oh that’s right - they don’t! 
the most sensible choice of opener would have been Fax v Bradford as both local and bring big numbers to get the stands going! Put London 2nd or 3rd! 
let’s have a open declaration of costs for the weekend and how much Leeds got/RL and how that was broken down! Bet expenses were a high cost factor

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Patx71 said:

I went and was massively disappointed! Spent years listening to how expensive the food and beer is in London and then get charged £4.50 for a substandard pint and the same for chips and cheese!!!!

Felt I’d been mugged. All pubs close to the ground closed by 11pm unless had music and you were in before a certain time which, having gone for food made it impossible as stayed to watch the Leigh show😂

Edited by watcherofRL

23 hours ago, crashmon said:

So I would do it based in the following criteria

1) Teams in the playoffs previous season should be matched, teams outside playoffs should be matched

2) Then where possible, teams who have derby's who meet the ciritera above should be matched

So looking at the current table (and please do not hate on me here on some assumptions)

• Fev / Leigh  vs Tolouse /Wakefield
  • Fax v Batley
  • Barrow v York
  • Bradford v Keithley (assuming Keithley get promoted)
  • Widnes v Swinton \ NW crusaders \ Haven (if Donny get promoted)
  • Thunder v Haven \ Donny (if Donny Promoted)
  • London v Sheffield

I think this would be the most likely scenario to have competitive games in the Bash, while trying to keep some focus on geography.

Any extra game outside of the Home and away format, could skew the league positions.  For example soeone could miss out on the play-offs by 2 points.  Someone could get relegated due to the results in the extra round.  Imagine for example Dewsbury get relegated but if they had won their game at the bash they would have escaped.  What would have happened had they played Workington instead of Batley.  Also Fev could yet end up third especialy if they lose against Widnes and Fax.  That would mean an extra game in the playoffs due to having played Leigh three times.

Edited by DemonUK
  • Like 3

Here we go again .....

I was warned off for taking a position on a raised walkway that was empty to find the lads I was with, going round the back of the stand was hundreds of fans from various clubs both vaping and smoking as stewards watched on.

On 01/08/2022 at 15:39, Fevrover said:

There is a programme to read online and you can also order a paper one to be sent out.

Not really much use, having one sent out afterwards... and most people I spoke to didn't know there was one to download... 

Most people want one on the day to have has a souvenir and not have to faff with phones or ordering online...

10 minutes ago, mozzauk said:

Not really much use, having one sent out afterwards... and most people I spoke to didn't know there was one to download... 

Most people want one on the day to have has a souvenir and not have to faff with phones or ordering online...

I've had a look at it online and it's poor,all squads listed and bits about World Cup. Not worth £3.

3 hours ago, Fevrover said:

I've had a look at it online and it's poor,all squads listed and bits about World Cup. Not worth £3.

£3 is throwaway change to a man of your means!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!