Sat 30-Sun 31 Jul: The Betfred Championship - Summer Bash Match Thread

6 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Yeah, but Leigh have thrown plenty of money at squads before and not had anything like the cohesive unit they have now.

It's not simply about money

I think a lot of credit has to go to the coach. I know ADrian Lam isn't always flavour of the month in thw Wigan postcode area, but he appears to be doing an awesome job for Leigh.

I agree it's been a much better coordinated spend, but it's still been a huge spend, especially in comparison to every other club at this level.

32 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I thought Leigh looked like the best team we've ever seen in the Championship last night.

If it isn't the best team ever been in this division with the amount of cash that has been thrown into buying it then you would have to be seriously worried. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Yeah, but Leigh have thrown plenty of money at squads before and not had anything like the cohesive unit they have now.

It's not simply about money

I think a lot of credit has to go to the coach. I know ADrian Lam isn't always flavour of the month in thw Wigan postcode area, but he appears to be doing an awesome job for Leigh.

I have said it on a few occasions but Adrian Lam is the most important signing that Leigh has made this season, without him and his little contact book and the respect he has among the player's especially down under Leigh would never have been able to assemble this squad, and what a lot of Wigginers are dismissing is that it was his little book that took French and Field there, Matty Peet and all the Wigan fans are living of this at the moment, just my opinion but without these two I don't think Wiggin would be anywhere near where they are this season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JonM said:

Barrow 12 Widnes 16 HT. Two really good tries from kicks for Barrow.

Slightly strange atmosphere, like a Widnes away game, without the home team's fans. 

Enjoying this. 

Sitting in Bridgewater Somerset spreading the gospel.😉

Town shirt on but very concerned (reading about the money problems and the release of players) how we will turn out in the West Cumbrian Derby.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

I don't understand why Wallace, in particular, seems to be on the outer. Murphy is finished, so why Wallace doesn't get a game is beyond me.

Also we might as well have given Lawford a run out rather than shoving Kear into the halves - which clearly failed. I mean, Lawford is getting in the 21, so why not give him a game?

If Lawford doesn't get a game against Worington next week, I don't what when he ever will

Plus where's Jowitt?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

It will be the same next year with whoever gets relegated, there is not going to be any structure change till at least '24 and it would be totally inappropriate to not give all the club's a season to prepare for the changes, they can't possibly wait untill September '23 to say From Next Season.................. could they? It would be far better to announce any changes before '23 starts to Commence in '24 and preferably before this season is over and done with.

This is RL though Harry.

• Like 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

2 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

If it isn't the best team ever been in this division with the amount of cash that has been thrown into buying it then you would have to be seriously worried. 

More expensive than Leigh in 2016/18 and Toronto in 2018/19?

Decent game, that.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, yanto said:

Town looking decent despite all the things that have gone.on in the background this week.

👏👏👏

Then a poor, soft penalty call goes against us and our heads have gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Decent game, that.

It was. Barrow well on top in the second half and deserved winners. Some really skilful bits of play for their tries too.

4 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

As for Featherstone, I'm genuinely puzzled by the constant appeal to their injury list. It looked a pretty strong team to my eyes last night. Don't forget Fev has a HUGE squad and have been adding strength through the season.

I don't think the injuries affected the result but surely we can acknowledge that the impact of having half a dozen first-team regulars out through injury can't simply be eliminated by having as many capable players to replace them? Fev have chopped and changed their starting 17 a lot this season, in a lot of instances this has been voluntarily as they have been trying to find a way of improving the squad faced with such a dominant Leigh team, but with the extra recent rash of injuries it's not surprising the team hasn't played with much cohesion.

When Leigh lost at Fev in February, they had two legitimate excuses, the conditions and the fact that their team hadn't "gelled" yet.

It's only two months ago that Fev played in the 1895 Cup Final against Leigh, Ford made his debut that day and has barely played since for various reasons, and six of his team-mates yesterday weren't even with the club at that time. At least six of the team that played that day are currently on the injured list, Leigh have been a cut above us in recent meetings regardless but losing players of the calibre of Kheirallah, Bussey, Lockwood, Kopczak, Jacks, and one or two others at the same time, you can't really just plug in six or seven players and expect the same team performance. This isn't to detract from Leigh btw who are obviously playing really really well and have a formidable team.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, binosh said:

What makes Leigh’s victory more impressive is we only had 2 forwards on the bench and lost Nakabuwai after 13 minutes so we played 67 minutes with one forward in rotation.

Wow an injury 😕

• Like 2
  • Haha 1