v Newcastle

Wandering pete

Losing to Toulouse, Sheffield (who put 42 points on Widnes yesterday) and York at their place were hardly major shocks considering the changes we have had to make after after last season's successes so the games at Swinton and yesterday's draw with a very average Newcastle side are the real reasons for concern. But as 2Cents pointed out the tries scored by Mikoudi and Ritson are unlikely to be repeated this season. (We were definitely spoiled last season!) and as the chairman said in his match programme page: Supporters perhaps forget that we had a sticky patch last season with 6 defeats in 7 games before recovering with scratchy wins over Workington and Dewsbury.

I am not trying to gloss over the problems because they are there for all to see - the usual ones that afflict struggling teams. but I think it's a bit too early to press that panic button. Maybe it's wishful thinking but things will get better. Surely we are not one of the two weakest teams in the Championship.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, morty said:

We have no pace in the backs ( Bulman aside) and the new forwards are no better than the locals we already had. That big red panic button needs pressed

I remember in 2019 when we had a good squad on paper (Ritson, 3png internationals, Deon cross, josh Johnson etc) we kept saying they'd come good..... We eventually had a 13 game losing streak and went down with a whimper. This season for me feels very much like that. There is lessons to be learned from that season. We are really struggling and aren't up to the levels required at the moment. The next 3 league games are Batley away, fax at home then haven at home. We could easily be going into the haven game still winless.

Big changes on the pitch are required

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We have the best Coach and best Chairman in the league.

There is a lot of rugby to be played yet. I hope no one starts to start panick and doing something rash

Edited by Bearman
  • Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 06/03/2023 at 15:41, blue forever said:

I remember in 2019 when we had a good squad on paper (Ritson, 3png internationals, Deon cross, josh Johnson etc) we kept saying they'd come good..... We eventually had a 13 game losing streak and went down with a whimper. This season for me feels very much like that. There is lessons to be learned from that season. We are really struggling and aren't up to the levels required at the moment. The next 3 league games are Batley away, fax at home then haven at home. We could easily be going into the haven game still winless.

Big changes on the pitch are required

You seem to be forgetting the horrendous run of injuries they had all season that year. Although not as bad as then, we do have a lot of injuries and inexperience at this level. 

18 hours ago, RawlinsonRaider said:

You seem to be forgetting the horrendous run of injuries they had all season that year. Although not as bad as then, we do have a lot of injuries and inexperience at this level. 

Injuries happen in our sport. The point I was making was I keep hearing "we'll come good" "we've got too much quality to go down". I've seen good squads on paper go down, we are in trouble unless something changes, be it personnel, game plan, fitness etc

Edited by blue forever
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, blue forever said:

Injuries happen in our sport. The point I was making was I keep hearing "we'll come good" "we've got too much quality to go down". I've seen good squads on paper go down, we are in trouble unless something changes, be it personnel, game plan, fitness etc

Of course injuries happen but the 2019 season you quoted was excessive.  As i said this isn't as bad but I have no doubt the coaching staff are well aware of the problems and knowing their commitment to the club will do everything in their power to get things right. Hopefully starting this week in the cup 😁🏉

• Like 2