Digital Programmes

Saints moved away from a physical programme a couple of year ago and have a e-programme. It saddens me as the act of buying one (often from the same person you don’t actually know but exchange words with every fortnight) has been a part of the matchday routine and it’s a small part that’s gone away.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Saints moved away from a physical programme a couple of year ago and have a e-programme. It saddens me as the act of buying one (often from the same person you don’t actually know but exchange words with every fortnight) has been a part of the matchday routine and it’s a small part that’s gone away.

Agree, alleged progress isn’t always good IMO. The digital age has a lot to answer for. Record collecting (music) has gone the same way.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I miss buying a programme at Fev it just doesn't feel the same as silly as that sounds but like you say it was part of the day at the game.

• Like 1

I understand this from a cost and environmental perspective. I've often thought that as a happy medium, clubs could produce 1 or 2 A4 double sided sheets with important bits on (brief interview, feature on opposition, club news etc along with a few sponsors) which you would collect in some kind of binder that was included with you first game "programme" purchase.

3 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I’m not sure how many clubs offer digital programmes but I always think for no real effort a download can help the club market themselves to potential sponsors. You also get a free read.

https://cornwallrlfc.co.uk/news/match-programme-now-available-2/

No real effort ? You reckon ?

You still have to write the copy.  And sell the advertising - which is probably a harder sell for a digital programme.   What you save is the printing costs.

The mere fact that you're not sure how many clubs offer digital programmes speaks volumes for how poorly they're marketed.

Meanwhile, at Sheffield yesterday, there was a sixty page programme on offer for £3.  I don't know how many they sell but it's disappointing that better supported teams, like Saints and Fev mentioned above, can't come up with a decent physical programme.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

I understand this from a cost and environmental perspective. I've often thought that as a happy medium, clubs could produce 1 or 2 A4 double sided sheets with important bits on (brief interview, feature on opposition, club news etc along with a few sponsors) which you would collect in some kind of binder that was included with you first game "programme" purchase.

A couple of A4 sheets ?  🥴  An A4 programme is impractical enough but a couple of sheets would just get creased to buggery in your pocket at the game.  The first thing you'd do is fold it.

You're either doing a proper programme or you aren't.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

A couple of A4 sheets ?  🥴  An A4 programme is impractical enough but a couple of sheets would just get creased to buggery in your pocket at the game.  The first thing you'd do is fold it.

You're either doing a proper programme or you aren't.

I mean, if you want to fold it, fold it, but some people might collect them in this theoretical binder. I mean it would just be personal choice though.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

You still have to write the copy.  And sell the advertising - which is probably a harder sell for a digital programme.   What you save is the printing costs.

The mere fact that you're not sure how many clubs offer digital programmes speaks volumes for how poorly they're marketed.

Meanwhile, at Sheffield yesterday, there was a sixty page programme on offer for £3.  I don't know how many they sell but it's disappointing that better supported teams, like Saints and Fev mentioned above, can't come up with a decent physical programme.

I think he was suggesting it would be no real effort for us fans to download the programme and help the club, not that they put no effort into making it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Whoosh!

20 minutes ago, Click said:

I think he was suggesting it would be no real effort for us fans to download the programme and help the club, not that they put no effort into making it.

Exactly. If more people download it then the club can go to sponsors saying that any ads will be seen by x amount of eyes.

1 hour ago, Click said:

I see.

How does it help the club ?  I'm not convinced that advertisers would be convinced by download statistics.

Edited by Griff