Catalans culture

45 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Those that haven’t were in the minority.

I have a vivid recollection of Masons first game as he walked down to the warm up drill area in front of Puig Aubert, in a jersey one size too small, wearing a girdle and then tripping over in the first passing drill in the coned off area.  Complete embarrassment to the profession.

On 03/07/2023 at 17:45, Damien said:

Firstly I always think the bye round with James Graham is always a great watch and you get some great insights from players.

In this episode Justin Horo talks about his time at Catalans from about 6 minutes in. While simply confirming what many of us have long thought was the case it's still very revealing when an ex-player talks about the poor culture at Catalans, led by their Australian imports who seem to treat it as one big holiday. Quite why Guash has never learned his lesson when it comes to these imports I'll never know. What Horo says does certainly explain why they are so erratic:

Justin Horo and his motley bunch of mates never took their careers seriously wherever they were. I think he's confusing the culture he infects a club with unless brought under control, to the culture of a club without him. Willie Mason is a similar disaster. They both have zero self-awareness. Anything good, they did it, anything poor, that's the fault of those around them. 

• Like 6

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I remember Steve McNamara doing an interview on Sky last season (the series where Brian Carney interviewed every coach in the league - great watch), and he alluded to this kind of thing, saying in particular that one of the ways he tries to figure out whether a potential recruit is right for the club is by the questions they ask him initially - questions like "how far's the beach" and that kind of thing, and they're on their bike essentially.

I can definitely see why as a player you'd have regarded Catalans in the early days of their SL time as a place to kick back and get a last payday, but with increasing success comes diminishing opportunities to do that at any club I'd imagine, and I'd imagine you have to weed out that kind of thing a lot less nowadays at Catalans.

• Like 3

On 05/07/2023 at 21:34, Jughead said:

I see Mason has had his say on his stint at KR, now. I just can’t believe he was so unlucky to end up at all these different clubs with such bad people there. 

Poor Willie was way back at the end of the queue, or perhaps he wasn't even in the queue when they good Lord handed out intelligence.