Swinton - Away

Indigogo

Absolutely huge game in the relegation battle. If we lose this then I really do fear the worse with the run of fixtures we have.

Good news is I think Ioane and Sid are both back from injury. Parker is back from suspension. I'd have all 3 straight back in the 17 and would include Lynam as well. We can't be relying on these young loanees for much longer. I'd also bring back Robbie Storey who was dropped for the Toulouse game due to some defensive issues that have been identified. Not sure following that decision up with a 64-0 loss was in the thought process. 

More questions than answers in the halves as well with our recent signings. I really feel Foster needs to pick 2 and stick with them to give them half a chance of forming some sort of understanding. From memory we have PLT, Roby, Stead, Spence, Sweeting, Gaylor, Thomas and Walker all as options. I'm really not sure who will be selected 🤷🏻‍♂️ Roby has played both games under Foster and Gaylor filled in on Saturday after PLT didn't travel. Sweeting was in the squad but didn't play, no idea why we've signed him. It would seem odd to sign Stead and Thomas and then not player either of them, but we've done thar with Sweeting so who knows. 

Ioane and Sid being back is massive for us. The Seventeen for THAT game against Bradford, probably our best performance of the season was as follows:

Young, Graham, Webster, Storey, Stephenson, Chisholm, Gale, Santi, Doyle, Ioane, Keinhorst, Gibbons, Walker. Interchange: Spence, Adebiyi, Parker, Gaylor.

So despite all the change since, 12 of the team from that day are set to be available for selection this weekend, plus Junior Sa'u is an upgrade on Webster. Bibby and Robson aren't a disastrous step down from Santi and Keinhorst so as Indigogo says, the only major area for concern is in the halves. I'd agree that now is the time to just pick two and stick with them. In my opinion it has to be Roby and one other. I'd be tempted to go with Stead as he seems to me like the only name on the list with a half decent kicking game (although I'm not particularly familiar with what Sweeting is like in that regard).

Whoever we go with, I think barring injury to some of the key players, there's just about enough quality in the squad now to pick up the points we need to stay up, but this weekend is definitely a must win.

1 hour ago, BD20Cougar said:

Ioane and Sid being back is massive for us. The Seventeen for THAT game against Bradford, probably our best performance of the season was as follows:

Young, Graham, Webster, Storey, Stephenson, Chisholm, Gale, Santi, Doyle, Ioane, Keinhorst, Gibbons, Walker. Interchange: Spence, Adebiyi, Parker, Gaylor.

So despite all the change since, 12 of the team from that day are set to be available for selection this weekend, plus Junior Sa'u is an upgrade on Webster. Bibby and Robson aren't a disastrous step down from Santi and Keinhorst so as Indigogo says, the only major area for concern is in the halves. I'd agree that now is the time to just pick two and stick with them. In my opinion it has to be Roby and one other. I'd be tempted to go with Stead as he seems to me like the only name on the list with a half decent kicking game (although I'm not particularly familiar with what Sweeting is like in that regard).

Whoever we go with, I think barring injury to some of the key players, there's just about enough quality in the squad now to pick up the points we need to stay up, but this weekend is definitely a must win.

I would tend to agree on the halfs. We are absolutely screaming out for someone that can kick cleverly and ensure we turn over in the best position possible. Not every set has to be a try scoring one and we are often creating our own issues by kicking so poorly at the end of sets. If we can't score then we should be trying to get repeat sets from goal line drop outs, failing that we need to find touch (not on the full as we seem to enjoy doing) or ask the opposition to go the full length with 6 tackles rather than 7 from their own 20.

• Like 1

I would have liked to have met you,Indigogo,it would have been nice to have discussed the actual sport of rugby league with you instead of reading the views of the happy clappers on the club Facebook site.

Interesting development before the game on Sunday - https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/widnes-vikings-identify-top-head-27434365

Slightly off - topic but the thought crossed my mind,today,as to the possibility of League 1 for Cougars,next year,and whether or not the head coach is staying and about recruitment - but,what happens if Castleford get relegated? They have a connection with Midlands Hurricanes and Scott Murrell has already played for them in their win at Doncaster.

Do Castleford retain the reserve team,and coach,if they are relegated?

Anyway,for you Indigogo,and your fellow supporters,I hope Cougars do as well as they possibly can.

News on a new stand would be nice... 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

10 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I would have liked to have met you,Indigogo,it would have been nice to have discussed the actual sport of rugby league with you instead of reading the views of the happy clappers on the club Facebook site.

Interesting development before the game on Sunday - https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/widnes-vikings-identify-top-head-27434365

Slightly off - topic but the thought crossed my mind,today,as to the possibility of League 1 for Cougars,next year,and whether or not the head coach is staying and about recruitment - but,what happens if Castleford get relegated? They have a connection with Midlands Hurricanes and Scott Murrell has already played for them in their win at Doncaster.

Do Castleford retain the reserve team,and coach,if they are relegated?

Anyway,for you Indigogo,and your fellow supporters,I hope Cougars do as well as they possibly can.

News on a new stand would be nice... 

Maybe we have met at some point, I go to all home games and most aways, depending on family commitments! Ha, you can't have any opinion on FB that isn't "support the club" or you get shot down. It's not very productive.

I was just reading about Coleman being touted for the Widnes job. It will be interesting to see if the move is immediate or if he sees the season out with Swinton. Either way it must be disruptive for them at this time of the season. 

In regards to our coach and situation for next season. I think as it stands Foster has only signed for this season. I have heard he's staying on next season but as the club haven't announced it, I guess it's not yet finalised. 

No idea on the Castleford situation but it certainly will be an interesting watch. 

In regards to the new stand, in the absence of an update from the club I had a look at the Bradford council planning permission page and there was a 'Determination date' of 21st July. That's obviously passed and the application still shows as pending, so I presume there's nothing to report as it stands. 

• Like 1

I think the announcement of the head coach of Swinton Lions commencing his new job at Widnes,next year,has made it a tad more difficult for the side which has shipped more than 200 points in the last 4 games under 2 of the 3 head coaches they have had this year.

Some of those Swinton players may very well want to accompany their coach to the Vikings - they have a council owned stadium and may pay slightly more than the supporters -run club.

Could be interesting...

Definitely a massive game on Sunday.

Foster has a lot of selection decisions to make as well as instill confidence back into the team.

Trying to create an half back combination at this stage of the season with players who have only just met is never going to be easy. 

All the teams at the bottom are battling hard and to survive we must do the same.

We must go onto the field on Sunday believing. I think with the right mental attitude we have the players to do the job.

Sunday will be a real nail biter.

• Like 1

I think it will be a nail biter for both sets of supporters - I being a Swinton supporter would hope we can overcome the pressure but the team that can handle to pressure best will win.

Like your comments we have struggled all season to get a good half back pairing - it has to be the match of the weekend.

I am looking forward to the match which both teams need to win.

Sweating signed a few weeks ago now gone on loan. We are embarrassing ourselves as a club. 

Yes the owners did maybe rescue the club but there certainly doing a good job of putting it back where they found it.

Whatever the outcome of this season we will see a big exodus of players leave at the end of it.

I'm not fussed about the Sweeting scenario. He was signed by Jake Webster. Jy-Mel never wanted him and Foster clearly doesn't want him. What's the point of him being around the team, he may as well go and play some rugby incase we have injuries. 

On the whole though, I totally agree regarding the owners. I don't think they could have ed this season up any more than they have done if they tried. It's been a shambles since we were knocked out of the cup by Batley.

Again, totally agree on the mass exodus of players. I can't see us having many, if any, what you would consider high earners. I think they've looked at what Batley are doing and thought why are we spending such amounts and not getting the same results. If we do manage to stay up then I trust Matt Foster to build a good enough squad and believe he would still probably have a decent enough budget to work with. I just can't see the likes of Doyle, Ioane, Adebiyi, Robson and Walker hanging around. At the same time though, I can't see them getting the money they're currently on (whilst on 2 year deals) elsewhere. 

The problem,or one of the problems,at this time of the season,is that many players have agreed to join other clubs for 2024.

The position the club is now in will make recruitment difficult for next season.

Going into games where defence is vital, it isn't the best to allow one of the players who would show quite highly if ever any tackle stats for players outside Super League were shown - Aaron Levy - to leave.

Then again,he has stuck around longer than I thought he would.

3 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The problem,or one of the problems,at this time of the season,is that many players have agreed to join other clubs for 2024.

The position the club is now in will make recruitment difficult for next season.

Going into games where defence is vital, it isn't the best to allow one of the players who would show quite highly if ever any tackle stats for players outside Super League were shown - Aaron Levy - to leave.

Then again,he has stuck around longer than I thought he would.

Not sure I agree with the love in for Aaron Levy. He clearly wouldn't be playing in these up coming games or we would have kept him. That paired with the fact he's joined Midlands rather than a champ club or even Top end League one club shows to me where his standard probably lies.

Don't get me wrong he's always give 100 percent and worked hard for the team but I don't believe he was a player to build a future side around. Thank you for the efforts over the year and good luck for the future.

Not so much a love -in just an appreciation that as a left side second row he got through some tackles - albeit League 1.

Bulking up for the move to prop may have resulted in more missed tackles,this campaign,but that could also apply to others.

Swinton take on 4 loan players - 3 from Super League & 1 from Hunslet.

Two spine players - well 3, as 2 are hookers/number 9's.

Hard to predict...

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Not so much a love -in just an appreciation that as a left side second row he got through some tackles - albeit League 1.

Bulking up for the move to prop may have resulted in more missed tackles,this campaign,but that could also apply to others.

Swinton take on 4 loan players - 3 from Super League & 1 from Hunslet.

Two spine players - well 3, as 2 are hookers/number 9's.

Hard to predict...

Maybe not from yourself but some of the reactions on Facebook are way way over the top. I even saw one person comment that they couldn't think of a worse player to leave. Not sure they've been watching the same player as me.

Interesting from Swinton, seems a little scatter gun approached, much like us a few weeks ago. I'm not sure who is or isn't available from their usual squad so will be interesting to see where the new recruits fit in.and if they feature this weekend.

6 hours ago, Indigogo said:

Maybe not from yourself but some of the reactions on Facebook are way way over the top. I even saw one person comment that they couldn't think of a worse player to leave. Not sure they've been watching the same player as me.

Interesting from Swinton, seems a little scatter gun approached, much like us a few weeks ago. I'm not sure who is or isn't available from their usual squad so will be interesting to see where the new recruits fit in.and if they feature this weekend.

I agree. Aaron great servant to the club. Remember discussing this with an ex someone at the club and when you look at our squad if your competing for the top 8 only about 10 would be kept. 

I know I said it a few time but the lack of a decent halfback with experience is what will send us down. The way walker has played at half nearly made me dig the boots out and ring the club it was that bad.

Sunday is massive let's see what passion the players have the club when its needed Sunday.

18 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Tommy Doyle hands in transfer request.

More incomings and outgoings than a busy airport.

The article says we've rejected the request but I suspect if we can find a replacement, either perm or loan, then he would be off.

We really deserve to go down the way the club have treated the fans this season. It's been like giving a kid the keys to a sweet shop then the kid finding out it's the wrong key.

Not once has the club made a statement to settle any unrest since Santi left and when you think at how many have left since surly some kind of announcement should have been made.

What the hell Matt Foster was promised to entice him over here has left me scratching my head. 

I recently heard some really bad things regards the owners from someone with a very strong bond to the club and if what they told me is correct were in the s@#t. The owners arnt what there all cracked up to be. Make of that what you want but I know who I believe. 

Just heard as well that Walker is going back to Wakefield. We will not keep Lewis, Sid and Ioane beyond this season.

The club expect all the fans to travel to Swinton on Sunday and support the club but the way things are going we haven't got a club.

It will take a minor miracle to stay in the Championship but I would say we are 95% relegated already. If the 5% chance does materialize what for next season.

The timing of the latest ' publicity ' is confusing enough,but I don't comprehend what message is sent out,after all of the outgoings since Henderson left,that a young player has been thwarted in his opportunity to better himself at a Super League club after others were allowed to do likewise,or if 'their heads were turned.'

Could be a strange dressing room to manage...As to what other players,coaches and agents make of it....Recruitment for next season may have got just a little bit more difficult.

Very disappointed with the result but not the performance yesterday. I thought the players gave everything they had. They never let their heads drop even when faced with adversity.

I do think it will be a difficult task to stay in this division now but stranger things have happened. If we show the same spirit in all our remaining games I think we do have a chance. I thought Oscar Thomas played excellentand will only improve.