Buy a club - small-time Russell Crowe

Was doing a bit of brainstorming yesterday and had an idea I wanted to share.  With the success of guys like Russell Crowe, Ryan Reynolds (Wrexham FC), plus the popularity of football manager type video games, I was wondering if the idea of buying an amateur club would appeal to some of the more regular folk.

Let's say for example, a club in Poland is for 'sale'.  They says, you can become the owner, on the condition that commit to investing €3000 per year (for example) in the club.  Or even a group of friends could form a mini 'consortium' and take over a club, though that could get a bit more complicated compared to a sole owner.

As with many sports, even professional clubs, you go into it knowing that you will likely never see a financial return on the money you invest, however, watching your 'baby' grow over time is something that might appeal to some.

I know countless examples of clubs in Europe, where there are some solid foundations in place, however the main thing holding them back is finance.  And with that extra little boost, could be achieving so much more.

One of the more 'out there' ideas, I know, but thought it was one worth exploring.

• Like 3

I’m no expert but actually becoming an owner might bring with it tax and other legal issues. Maybe a better idea would be to set up a fund that overseas clubs could bid for. 

if you want to own a club I’m sure there are a few in the Uk who would be interested!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 05/12/2023 at 15:06, Eddie said:

I’ve often thought a group of people on this forum could invest in and help a foreign club, together we could do some great things - but have never had any response when I’ve suggested it. 

Your finances are more than welcome in Montenegro! A great place for holidays and be part of a rugby league club in the Balkan super league 

• Like 1

On 04/12/2023 at 21:22, langpark said:

Was doing a bit of brainstorming yesterday and had an idea I wanted to share.  With the success of guys like Russell Crowe, Ryan Reynolds (Wrexham FC), plus the popularity of football manager type video games, I was wondering if the idea of buying an amateur club would appeal to some of the more regular folk.

Let's say for example, a club in Poland is for 'sale'.  They says, you can become the owner, on the condition that commit to investing €3000 per year (for example) in the club.  Or even a group of friends could form a mini 'consortium' and take over a club, though that could get a bit more complicated compared to a sole owner.

As with many sports, even professional clubs, you go into it knowing that you will likely never see a financial return on the money you invest, however, watching your 'baby' grow over time is something that might appeal to some.

I know countless examples of clubs in Europe, where there are some solid foundations in place, however the main thing holding them back is finance.  And with that extra little boost, could be achieving so much more.

One of the more 'out there' ideas, I know, but thought it was one worth exploring.

I think it would be a great idea , we in Montenegro have a great set up , and we have 5 flights a week here from the UK and less than 3 hours away! Our home ground is at www.portomontenegro.com one of the best locations to holiday and play rugby in Europe 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iangidds said:

Your finances are more than welcome in Montenegro! A great place for holidays and be part of a rugby league club in the Balkan super league 

Are you in the Balkan super league? 

On 04/12/2023 at 21:42, EssexRL said:

Maybe a better idea would be to set up a fund that overseas clubs could bid for. 

Been there, done that. You wouldn’t believe how difficult it was to give money away.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Been there, done that. You wouldn’t believe how difficult it was to give money away.

I've heard you mention this before , we are more than happy to.work with you and help establish a pathway for senior and junior players to taste RL I'm uk and Montenegro. 

Just now, iangidds said:

I've heard you mention this before , we are more than happy to.work with you and help establish a pathway for senior and junior players to taste RL I'm uk and Montenegro. 

The RLDF folded several years ago Ian as the member numbers dwindled. We ended up having to contact some of the nations to see if they were interested. I remember one year we had one application. We didn’t ask much in return just a bit of publicity from the announcement and a mention on their website but some nations couldn’t even do that. It did wear me down if I’m honest. We were trying to help and ended up doing all of the chasing.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

The RLDF folded several years ago Ian as the member numbers dwindled. We ended up having to contact some of the nations to see if they were interested. I remember one year we had one application. We didn’t ask much in return just a bit of publicity from the announcement and a mention on their website but some nations couldn’t even do that. It did wear me down if I’m honest. We were trying to help and ended up doing all of the chasing.

We as a sport are very good at shooting ourselves in both feet

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iangidds said:

So is anyone actually willing to put there money where their mouth is ? 

I personally couldn’t afford it Ian but would be willing to chip in monthly to a collective if anyone else is interested.

7 hours ago, iangidds said:

So is anyone actually willing to put there money where their mouth is ? 

In my experience, very few are. 

Eddie, I can vouch for, has done so on multiple occasions, and I believe now is heavily involved in running a newly established club in his area. Gomersall, it sounds like you have quite a track record too. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I personally couldn’t afford it Ian but would be willing to chip in monthly to a collective if anyone else is interested.

Yes, lets do it! What if we attempt to revive the TRL development fund? Even if the amounts collected at first are tiny, I think it is still worth a crack.

I am willing to help out, and if TRL are behind it again I am sure we can make it a success. What do you say Gomersall? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, langpark said:

Yes, lets do it! What if we attempt to revive the TRL development fund? Even if the amounts collected at first are tiny, I think it is still worth a crack.

I am willing to help out, and if TRL are behind it again I am sure we can make it a success. What do you say Gomersall? 

It wasn’t a TRL initiative previously but it came from discussions on the League Unlimited forum. I’m happy to join if there’s enough interest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gomersall said:

It wasn’t a TRL initiative previously but it came from discussions on the League Unlimited forum. I’m happy to join if there’s enough interest.

Build it and they will come! How can we go about getting it started again? Feel free to message me if you like. 

12 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I suppose the first thing would be to  put a post on the General forum, as that generates the most traffic, and get an idea of how many people are interested. 

Done:  

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1