fevnut’s musings 2024/#02: Last week, IMG and Fixtures

fevnut

Greetings to our friends in Batley

Every week of the season fevnut writes a blog that includes his ‘musings’ column.

This week we write about the Hunslet match and in particular Connor Jones and Gareth Gale. And we also note a rather quirky outcome from the York/Newcastle game.

Then we get into rant mode. Most importantly about the ludicrous IMG gradings and we also comment about the ill thought through planning for the opening weeks of the season.

Access the article by using the link below and then by using the links on the left-hand side of the page (by clicking on ‘Archive’) you can find all sorts of information pertinent to the match coming up on Sunday, including pages about the current Batley squad and players who have played for both clubs and another about the history of matches between Batley and Fev.

Hoping to see some of you on Sunday.

https://fevnut.blogspot.com/2024/02/fevnuts-musings-202402-Batley-img-and.html

31 minutes ago, fevnut said:

Greetings to our friends in Batley

Every week of the season fevnut writes a blog that includes his ‘musings’ column.

This week we write about the Hunslet match and in particular Connor Jones and Gareth Gale. And we also note a rather quirky outcome from the York/Newcastle game.

Then we get into rant mode. Most importantly about the ludicrous IMG gradings and we also comment about the ill thought through planning for the opening weeks of the season.

Access the article by using the link below and then by using the links on the left-hand side of the page (by clicking on ‘Archive’) you can find all sorts of information pertinent to the match coming up on Sunday, including pages about the current Batley squad and players who have played for both clubs and another about the history of matches between Batley and Fev.

Hoping to see some of you on Sunday.

https://fevnut.blogspot.com/2024/02/fevnuts-musings-202402-Batley-img-and.html

A good read thank you. You can add Don Fox to your list of players who have played for both clubs!  

I think a lot of us will agree with your musings on IMG; how are Newcastle above Batley, with a record over 13 seasons of a NRC Cup win 2 Championship Finals, a Middle 8's appearance, a Championship semi-final and a Cup Final at Wembley (an average record basically of 1 success every 2 seasons).The only thing Newcastle have going for them is an impressive but empty ground. 

6 hours ago, Bill H said:

A good read thank you. You can add Don Fox to your list of players who have played for both clubs!  

Thank you for that. I was aware that Don coached Batley but not that he had played for them. Can you tell me please in which seasons he played?

19 hours ago, fevnut said:

Thank you for that. I was aware that Don coached Batley but not that he had played for them. Can you tell me please in which seasons he played?

Probably not fevnut, but I'll try.  He's not in the players list but my not too reliable memory seems to remember Don complaining that players didn't back him up when he was on the field so I suspect that it was during his coaching stint.  No promises but I'll try and dig something up.

Fevnut, I have scanned  a copy of a page from a Batley v New Hunslet programme dated 6th October 1973. For whatever reason and to my surprise the file is too large to upload to the site. I tried a pdf copy but the site doesn't accept pdf.  

Anyway, it's not a definitive list of Don's appearances but up to and including 1972/73 season Don Fox is down as playing 9 games, 1 try, 3 goals.  If you would like to message me with your e mail address then I'm more than happy to send it across to you.  He is down as D. Fox but it ties in with Don's coaching spell at Batley and with my memory of him playing.

1 hour ago, Bill H said:

Fevnut, I have scanned  a copy of a page from a Batley v New Hunslet programme dated 6th October 1973. For whatever reason and to my surprise the file is too large to upload to the site. I tried a pdf copy but the site doesn't accept pdf.  

Anyway, it's not a definitive list of Don's appearances but up to and including 1972/73 season Don Fox is down as playing 9 games, 1 try, 3 goals.  If you would like to message me with your e mail address then I'm more than happy to send it across to you.  He is down as D. Fox but it ties in with Don's coaching spell at Batley and with my memory of him playing.

Is there a heritage number for him?

Good thinking DD.  I had tried the Batley Bulldogs Player Rugby League Project but he wasn't on that list, but he is indeed on the Batley RLFC Heritage Roll of Honour, number 1132, 9 starts and 8 substitutes and first game 4th April 1970 Blackpool away, so before he was first team coach/manager at the Mount.  Thanks for the input DD

• Like 1

You have to resize your image and then post it on here, I use Imgbb for resizing.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, distantdog said:

Is there a heritage number for him?

Bill H - I would message you with my email, but I don't know how to contact you.