England Community Lions Open Age

Just seen the 27 man squad announcement and I’m quite frankly baffled at it. 
1) why have 27 players to then cut 5 in 2 months time? Feel sorry for those who may miss out due to been cut

2) how is there only 1 west hull representation? Consistently fantastic and by far the 2nd best team in the comp (the gap between them and 3rd is a lot bigger than them and Hunslet)

3) how have certain players missed out- steen, wood, Wilson, arbon spring to mind from west hull- arbon was the ncl player of the year a season ago too, so how’s he not in? pike from thatto, weatherill now at hensingham, dargan from Hunslet- their twitter yesterday states 37 tries in 22 games, no-one in the ncl gets close to that, hosty from siddal (I only saw two of the above on the trial photo a couple week ago)

4) 3 lock lane players is screaming bias from the coach. They’re a good, not great side, wouldn’t say they have a standout player (ie Prescott at Leigh east, parkinson at judes ect) definitely not in the top 2/3/4 in their position. 

just my opinion but congratulations to those who have made it

Edited by rugbylad09

23 minutes ago, billybison said:

Costing each player £5000 to tour so the squad maybe picked on affordability not ability. 

Definitely isn’t by ability. Personality probably plays a big part too. for a tour as big as this the coach surely has to front up and publicly explain his decisions on why certain players were left out and certain players were picked

Edited by rugbylad09

7 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Maybe some who you mention didnt want to go to the trials hence they are not picked.

Very fair and valid point which is why I added I only recognised 2, but very confused as to why them 2 aren’t in 

• 2 weeks later...

There's more staff than players from what I've saw on some of the pictures, assistants of assistants by the looks of it. £5000 a head, rediculous amount of money that some players and clubs, especially those with a few players selected will struggle to afford. 

9 hours ago, usain bolt said:

There's more staff than players from what I've saw on some of the pictures, assistants of assistants by the looks of it. £5000 a head, rediculous amount of money that some players and clubs, especially those with a few players selected will struggle to afford. 

Jobs for the boys 

On 16/02/2024 at 14:24, rugbylad09 said:

Just seen the 27 man squad announcement and I’m quite frankly baffled at it. 
1) why have 27 players to then cut 5 in 2 months time? Feel sorry for those who may miss out due to been cut

2) how is there only 1 west hull representation? Consistently fantastic and by far the 2nd best team in the comp (the gap between them and 3rd is a lot bigger than them and Hunslet)

3) how have certain players missed out- steen, wood, Wilson, arbon spring to mind from west hull- arbon was the ncl player of the year a season ago too, so how’s he not in? pike from thatto, weatherill now at hensingham, dargan from Hunslet- their twitter yesterday states 37 tries in 22 games, no-one in the ncl gets close to that, hosty from siddal (I only saw two of the above on the trial photo a couple week ago)

4) 3 lock lane players is screaming bias from the coach. They’re a good, not great side, wouldn’t say they have a standout player (ie Prescott at Leigh east, parkinson at judes ect) definitely not in the top 2/3/4 in their position. 

just my opinion but congratulations to those who have made it

Heard over the weekend that Dargan wasn't picked because in the U23s he was happy in his own company and didn't really mix the rest of the squad.So who ever picked the squad to tour Australia said its a long tour and all players need to bond together. If that is the case for leaving him at home it is a complete disgrace. 

22 hours ago, billybison said:

Heard over the weekend that Dargan wasn't picked because in the U23s he was happy in his own company and didn't really mix the rest of the squad.So who ever picked the squad to tour Australia said its a long tour and all players need to bond together. If that is the case for leaving him at home it is a complete disgrace. 

Did he show up well in trail games though if not then maybe not been picked on that basis. You can play well for club all year but if don’t perform in trail game then won’t get picked 

On 27/02/2024 at 14:23, billybison said:

You aren’t far wrong, I also heard this as I went to the Wakefield game and it was a big talking point from a few fans. I heard that it was because he’s too quiet than keeping in his own company. I asked if anyone knew how he went in Ireland and got told he went out with all the lads on the evening until the early hours so I don’t really see the selectors reasoning of him not mixing with the squad as it sounds like he did. 
also surely he would’ve room shared on 2 separate occasions which forces him to mix. Very very odd if you ask me

On 28/02/2024 at 13:16, Cumbria1 said:

Did he show up well in trail games though if not then maybe not been picked on that basis. You can play well for club all year but if don’t perform in trail game then won’t get picked 

Well he got to the final trial which must speak volumes. Think he did what he could in the trial with very little ball, again I asked how he trialled at the weekend and got told none of the wingers really saw much ball, expected when people are trying to impress though. Even still, as long as he didn’t make mistake after mistake, which it didn’t sound like he did, you can’t ignore his league form in the top division, plus if that’s what he got told (what billybison said) and what I also heard I don’t think it was his trial performances as to why he didn’t get picked. 
I saw on some social media platforms players from other clubs defending him and saying he should be in

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Hunslet v Lock Lane last Saturday and was told that another reason Tyler Dargan wasn't selected was that he never left his wing. The Lions coach was there and would have seen two breaks by Hunslet full back Mcshane up the middle finished of by Dargan. Looking again at the squad picked there are four full backs one winger and two centres. Not too sure what positions the lad from West Bowling and the lad from Leigh East play. 

1 hour ago, billybison said:

I went to the Hunslet v Lock Lane last Saturday and was told that another reason Tyler Dargan wasn't selected was that he never left his wing. The Lions coach was there and would have seen two breaks by Hunslet full back Mcshane up the middle finished of by Dargan. Looking again at the squad picked there are four full backs one winger and two centres. Not too sure what positions the lad from West Bowling and the lad from Leigh East play. 

Won’t matter now trail game has gone, That’s when he should of shone only way he gets in now if there few drop out due to injury 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cumbria1 said:

Won’t matter now trail game has gone, That’s when he should of shone only way he gets in now if there few drop out due to injury 

I see your point but wingers are the hardest position to impress in, in trial games. Forwards make a point and don’t really move the ball, half backs try these short balls onto lead runners and by the time it reaches a full back or centre they’re likely to keep it also as they don’t have much involvement themselves. 
got told every time he went in (not only trial games but 23s also) the ball went the other way so he returned to his wing as to not be out of position. 
Should also add the trial game was cut short 20mins due to injury making it harder

Plenty of people from clubs in the premier division are very confused as to why he hasn’t chosen and the reasons which have been said really don’t add up. I think the coach has made a massive error and poor dargan has missed out on a potential once in a lifetime trip due to absolute ######

Edited by rugbylad09

5 hours ago, billybison said:

Prescott is a full back

10 hours ago, rugbylad09 said:

Prescott is a full back

Four full backs selected and just one winger who plays for Wigan St Pats.So i presume the England coach doesn't rate any of the twenty four wingers that play in the Premier division or maybe he and numerous assistants have picked their personal favourites. 

19 hours ago, Cumbria1 said:

The selection process should be deeper than a performance in a trial game. These lads can be watched pretty much all the time now with VEO cams etc

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

On 11/03/2024 at 16:41, billybison said:

Saw hunslets online program had some choice words for the head coach re Tyler’s non selection. Wonder if he saw it 

1 hour ago, rugbylad09 said:

Saw hunslets online program had some choice words for the head coach re Tyler’s non selection. Wonder if he saw it 

But again it comes down to how he performed in the trail game. Its ok scoring try’s for fun for your club but if you don’t perform well during a trail game then sorry won’t get picked 

26 minutes ago, Cumbria1 said:

But again it comes down to how he performed in the trail game. Its ok scoring try’s for fun for your club but if you don’t perform well during a trail game then sorry won’t get picked 

Guessing you didn’t see earlier posts re trial performance? 
And surely scoring for fun for your club should be a good indication of a players ability and performance than what was a 60min trial game 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Are you the lad in disguise? He didn't get in.... Not going to change now

I have no affiliation to him or Hunslet, but as a rugby league fan, and an avid NCL watcher, it needs to be mentioned about how poor of a non-selection it was which is getting proven worse week by week. I mentioned earlier about a number of players who I felt should be in the side but this player is the one who I’ve seen the most uproar about from current ncl players and clubs

Anyway my point was around Hunslet directly mentioning it in their programme

Edited by rugbylad09

2 hours ago, rugbylad09 said:

Guessing you didn’t see earlier posts re trial performance? 
And surely scoring for fun for your club should be a good indication of a players ability and performance than what was a 60min trial game 

If that was the case then why have trails at the start to pick a squad to play the trail game. Like a job interview gotta be good when it counts not saying he wasn’t but must not have shown up as good as others