ISIHAC Radio 4 comedy

Just got back from Leeds Grand Theatre where we watched a live recording of the iconic radio 4 panel show.  

I don't think I've ever laughed out loud so much. 

We got Jack Dee, Rory Bremner, Pippa Evans, Tony Hawks and Marcus Brigstocke. 

Brigstocke stole the show for me but he was the most sweary so his stuff won't make the cut unless they are very clever with the editing. 

Such good fun - totally inconsequential, silly, slapstick, harmless humour. British comedy at its best, loads of childish innuendo and referencing various people like Jeremy Hardy; in particular reeling out old Barry Cryer jokes because they were in Leeds. 

I absolutely urge everyone to go and see this show if you can http://isihac.net/tour_dates.php 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Just got back from Leeds Grand Theatre where we watched a live recording of the iconic radio 4 panel show.  

I don't think I've ever laughed out loud so much. 

We got Jack Dee, Rory Bremner, Pippa Evans, Tony Hawks and Marcus Brigstocke. 

Brigstocke stole the show for me but he was the most sweary so his stuff won't make the cut unless they are very clever with the editing. 

Such good fun - totally inconsequential, silly, slapstick, harmless humour. British comedy at its best, loads of childish innuendo and referencing various people like Jeremy Hardy; in particular reeling out old Barry Cryer jokes because they were in Leeds. 

I absolutely urge everyone to go and see this show if you can http://isihac.net/tour_dates.php 

The show moves ever onwards. It will never be the same as the old days, but when you listen to the older shows, they are also flawed. When they book people who "get" ISIHAC, it lives again. Tony Hawks singing "Girlfriend in a Coma" to the tune of "Tiptoe through the Tulips" is a personal favourite of the modern era. Plus Jeremy Hardy singing anything at all.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The show moves ever onwards. It will never be the same as the old days, but when you listen to the older shows, they are also flawed. When they book people who "get" ISIHAC, it lives again. Tony Hawks singing "Girlfriend in a Coma" to the tune of "Tiptoe through the Tulips" is a personal favourite of the modern era. Plus Jeremy Hardy singing anything at all.

I genuinely thought of you when I posted it, Futtocks 🙂

It was such good fun. Yes it might seem dated but if you fill a theatre full of people and make them laugh until they cry for 3 hours then maybe don't analyse it and just let it be. There's no nastiness to it, no racism, no sexism, it is just daft and genuinely laugh-out-loud funny. 

• Like 2

I love listening to the programme and really should make the effort to get to a live show. I got my dad tickets for xmas last year and he absolutely loved it. I know some people think that it has been dumbed down a bit but I'm still surprised at what they can get away with and find it hilarious.

I saw them record two episodes at the London Palladium a lifetime ago (literally, it was just before Little Ginger was born and he's now technically Young Adult Ginger). There certainly haven't been many occasions when I have laughed so much.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Anybody old enough to have listened to and remember the programme that (sort of) gave ISIHAC its name?   After '3' everybody...3..."My name is Angus Prune and I always listen to I'm sorry I'll read that again..."

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Anybody old enough to have listened to and remember the programme that (sort of) gave ISIHAC its name?   After '3' everybody...3..."My name is Angus Prune and I always listen to I'm sorry I'll read that again..."

I have virtually every episode recorded of ISIRTA. Grew up on the official BBC cassette compilations, along with Python and the Goons.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I have virtually every episode recorded of ISIRTA. Grew up on the official BBC cassette compilations, along with Python and the Goons.

I had a sneaking suspicion, Futtock, that you might be the first to put your hand up and say "Yes"! Sadly, I think that three of the cast - Jo Kendall, Tim Brooke-Taylor and David Hatch - are no longer with us.  I remember Jo Kendall, playing Queen Elizabeth I in an historical sketch, coming up with a great line that you just would not here nowadays - "I have a Divine Right...and my left's not bad either!"