Some interesting figures here.

Superleague players could only dream of the average salary mentioned there. If one of our lowest paid players takes to the field in any given week currently, the chances are the RFL disciplinary board will take any money he earns from him, in fact he’ll probably end up paying to play the game. Add in his multi game ban for good luck as well obviously. 

15 hours ago, WN83 said:

Superleague players could only dream of the average salary mentioned there. If one of our lowest paid players takes to the field in any given week currently, the chances are the RFL disciplinary board will take any money he earns from him, in fact he’ll probably end up paying to play the game. Add in his multi game ban for good luck as well obviously. 

Someone seems bitter ..

2 hours ago, Click said:

Someone seems bitter ..

Simply pointing out a fact.

If a young lad coming through or a first teamer is on 20-30k a year or whatever and they pick up one of the bans/fine flying around, then the vast majority of their monthly wage could be wiped out. That's hardly a ringing endorsement for the current set up, both in terms of how the players are rewarded financially or the disciplinary clampdown. 

Edited by WN83

18 hours ago, WN83 said:

Simply pointing out a fact.

If a young lad coming through or a first teamer is on 20-30k a year or whatever and they pick up one of the bans/fine flying around, then the vast majority of their monthly wage could be wiped out. That's hardly a ringing endorsement for the current set up, both in terms of how the players are rewarded financially or the disciplinary clampdown. 

Perhaps if a "young lad" is picking up fines and bans every month then he probably isn't in the right career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/04/2024 at 21:32, yipyee said:

Most youngsters who play sport will train 20 hours a week in the gym, group training sessions and games etc.. a lot of people spend 10 hours a week in the gym without playing sport. 

Indeed. I earn a good bit more than SL players do, still manage to do 7-8 hours training & running most weeks. One of the lads I used to manage was in the UK rowing set-up, didn't make the Olympics  but did get Commonwealth medals. He'd be out on the river at 5am for hours before a full-days work, plus evenings & weekends for gym, weights, coaching, competitions etc. 

Big difference of course, is that neither running nor rowing require you to get physically battered and running the risk of serious injury every week, nor do they involve hundreds or thousands of people opining that you're not good enough, not trying hard enough to win etc.

10 hours ago, Click said:

Perhaps if a "young lad" is picking up fines and bans every month then he probably isn't in the right career.

If I’d have mentioned them doing it ‘every month’ I’d say you were right but I didn’t. A kid on 20k a year (before tax) getting £500-£750 taken off them for one incident, that may be purely accidental (which is what is happening to many players) seems extremely harsh to me. 

4 hours ago, WN83 said:

If I’d have mentioned them doing it ‘every month’ I’d say you were right but I didn’t. A kid on 20k a year (before tax) getting £500-£750 taken off them for one incident, that may be purely accidental (which is what is happening to many players) seems extremely harsh to me. 

You mentioned "the vast majority of their monthly wage" so I am not sure what you are talking about then. 

The problem of RL players being very underpaid isn't related to a £500-750 a fine for a "purely accidental" ban/fine. If they have been fined/banned for an accidental act, then hopefully they will do all they can to make sure that accident doesn't happen again. 

11 hours ago, WN83 said:

Fines tend to be tailored to a players wages. It’s why championship players tend to get lower fines but longer bans. 

10 hours ago, Click said:

You mentioned "the vast majority of their monthly wage" so I am not sure what you are talking about then. 

The problem of RL players being very underpaid isn't related to a £500-750 a fine for a "purely accidental" ban/fine. If they have been fined/banned for an accidental act, then hopefully they will do all they can to make sure that accident doesn't happen again. 

I did indeed but I didn’t then add in that the same player would be getting the vast majority of their monthly wage taken off them ‘every month’. You added that. 

If it happened once, it would be too much but maybe as pointed out above by bobbruce, they tailor it to the salaries the lads are on. If that is the case then fair play, it’s set up as it should be and the RFL aren’t just going down the route you seem to be arguing for, which is to say ‘tough’ and ‘deal with it’ regardless of intent. You sound like the sort of person who’d fine a kid working in Asda for dropping a box of eggs! 

Edited by WN83

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Fines tend to be tailored to a players wages. It’s why championship players tend to get lower fines but longer bans. 

That seems fair enough then.

You can’t fine a kid on 20k £500/£750 and then give Bevan French, sitting on 300k or whatever the same fine, for the same offence. 

On 03/04/2024 at 21:32, yipyee said:

Most youngsters who play sport will train 20 hours a week in the gym, group training sessions and games etc.. a lot of people spend 10 hours a week in the gym without playing sport. 

Guessing its more night time training and not many film sessions for championship especially when there's a distinct lack of film to watch

Well, from a few posts here I'm getting the sense that you could run another job alongside Championship training and playing load, so fair enough. However, I am not sure that 'Most young people who play sport will train 20 hrs a week'? 

Think you're talking about a different level here to just 'playing sport', pretty elite like uni 1sts or a big club academy, because I find it hard to see 3 to 4 hrs a day 6 days a week as the average in work / term time for someone who turns out for a local football team or is a member of a local tennis or cricket club.

• Like 1