Unofficial World Club Champions

On 31/03/2024 at 10:35, sam4731 said:

I have undertaken a project to find the unofficial club world champions. Let me expand.

I have gone back to the 1987 WCC (the 1976 one would have been too much work) and crowned Wigan world champions. In the next match that Wigan played, they defended that title. The first match they lost, that team became new Champions which they then had to defend and so on and so forth. 

Each line is when the title passed on to its new champion.

I hope I haven't made any mistakes which would invalidate the whole thing but I hope you enjoy it for what it is, which is a bit of fun.

So without further ado, please bask in the glory of having been the world champions without even knowing it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FnrR8QuYLxsgBRW4dXt77UtsRHahbqNeEouaMAQk2Jg/edit?usp=drivesdk

Edit: Updated access now

Further edit:

Here's a version for internationals too. It starts at the beginning of international rugby league though.

No touring sides, countries only so no other Nationalities side.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y9bS9cs2nmeFofYr5_XtDrangiIESQiD0Q2vPaU_pkc/edit?usp=drivesdk

I feel like you are only scratching the surface here @sam4731.

What you should do is highlight or colour the font for a team which went from winning the World Championship to win the domestic title to demonstrate teams which won the double.

Then, we also need to factor in all the other WCC fixtures (final) to determine the holders of the other versions and then cross collate when there were unification matches and then put the attendance next to those unification fixtures to see just how big a draw the matchup was or wasn’t. I mean wouldn’t it be amazing to learn that only 3,500 turned up to watch Huddersfield beat Salford in a twelve title unification matchup 😂 

6 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I feel like you are only scratching the surface here @sam4731.

What you should do is highlight or colour the font for a team which went from winning the World Championship to win the domestic title to demonstrate teams which won the double.

Then, we also need to factor in all the other WCC fixtures (final) to determine the holders of the other versions and then cross collate when there were unification matches and then put the attendance next to those unification fixtures to see just how big a draw the matchup was or wasn’t. I mean wouldn’t it be amazing to learn that only 3,500 turned up to watch Huddersfield beat Salford in a twelve title unification matchup 😂 

And have it worth 0.003 IMG points?

14 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Sorry, I'll take this very serious and important project which has a massive impact on all of RL, determining its very existence and shelve it because I didn't do it to your specifications. I can only offer my sincerest apologies and promise never to insult the sacred name of this completely fictional competition ever again.

You said yourself that you couldn't be bothered.

Lazy

• Haha 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

IMG should push to get this ratified as official by the RFL for marketing purposes. Otherwise what are we paying them for? It would make for some great straplines wouldn't it:

"Wakefield Trinity - six times world champions"

"Rochdale Hornets - six days world champions". 

Edited by north yorks trinity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, N2022 said:

So, with minutes left, still not clear who the unofficial world club champions will be at the end of this.

Catalans now UWCC, meaning Huddersfield get the chance next weekend to prove they are the world's top club XIII.