Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

"Rugby"

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Apr 28 2010, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rugby means RL in Wakey - always has done, even when they had a pretty good Union side playing at College Grove. Underwood, Cusworth, Barley, Harrison all played for Wakefield Union at some time in the seventies and eighties. But Wakefield Trinity are a name in RL history and Rugby in Wakey will always mean Trinity. In Fev no explanation is necessary.

Yes, but anyone who happened to be driving past wouldn't necessarily be from Wakey. In many parts of Yorkshire, "rugby" would primarily refer to union.

#42 paley

paley
  • Coach
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Northern Sol @ Apr 29 2010, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but anyone who happened to be driving past wouldn't necessarily be from Wakey. In many parts of Yorkshire, "rugby" would primarily refer to union.

Not in Wakefield it wouldn't and if people driving past are unsure then so what?
Join team TRL to help cure cancer http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780 Team number 43780

Team summary: http://folding.extre....php?s=&t=43780

#43 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Northern Sol @ Apr 29 2010, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In some of the smaller market towns north of Bradford and Leeds that may be the case, but not in the bigger towns and cities where the vast majority of people live it doesn't.

Edited by Bulliac, 29 April 2010 - 11:45 AM.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#44 manofthematch

manofthematch
  • Coach
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

what happened to the term 'rugger'? - always used in our family to describe the union code, 'soccer' for the round ballers and 'rugby' was ALWAYS the game played by Vinty Karalius, Wally Hurstfield, Frank Myler, Ray Owens and co!

#45 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,919 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (manofthematch @ Apr 30 2010, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what happened to the term 'rugger'? - always used in our family to describe the union code, 'soccer' for the round ballers and 'rugby' was ALWAYS the game played by Vinty Karalius, Wally Hurstfield, Frank Myler, Ray Owens and co!

You mean pukah ruggah played at Twickahs.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#46 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (paley @ Apr 29 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not in Wakefield it wouldn't and if people driving past are unsure then so what?

Then there would be no point. The point is to reclaim the word "rugby"; if folk don't realise that you are talking about league when you use it then you aren't reclaiming anything - just confusing people.

#47 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Bulliac @ Apr 29 2010, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In some of the smaller market towns north of Bradford and Leeds that may be the case, but not in the bigger towns and cities where the vast majority of people live it doesn't.

There's about 600,000-700,000 people living in North Yorkshire and a lot more living in South Yorks.

#48 paley

paley
  • Coach
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (Northern Sol @ May 1 2010, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then there would be no point. The point is to reclaim the word "rugby"; if folk don't realise that you are talking about league when you use it then you aren't reclaiming anything - just confusing people.

A few confused people is of no consequence
Join team TRL to help cure cancer http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780 Team number 43780

#49 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:25 AM

It may seem irrelevant but can I ask where people think things such as 'moshing' and 'stage diving' came from?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#50 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,919 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

I went to a collectors fair at Pudsey this afternoon. There were quite a lot of old Rugby League programmes. Some from the fifties. Two that caught my eye were "Halifax Football Club" and "Wigan Football Club" . no mention or Rugby or League at all on the progammes' titles. I wonder how many other RL sides used the title "Football Club?" Hull FC goes without saying. In the sixties when my wife worked in Wakefield, she would be late home if Wakefield were playing mid-week in the the early evening. She would say "the traffic was bad because of the football match"
When did we allow the term "football" to mean just soccer?
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#51 no13benny

no13benny
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

Personally I'm proud to be a Rugby LEAGUE supporter, and wouldn't want it confused with Rugby Union in any way.
Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.
Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

#52 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

I understand all the points about reclaiming the name 'rugby' but I just think it would be a complete waste of time. At a time when the sport needs to develop its own sense of identity it would be counter productive. The sport gets confused with RU too often as it is. Anyone who lives/has lived in a 'non-heartland' area will no doubt agree.

When I lived in Crewe and I told people I liked watching rugby, they would usually ask about the England RU team and make reference to the 6 Nations. I always had to explain that I meant RL (at which point they usually began to lose interest).

If a story appears in a national newspaper about, say, a RL player doing charity work, the paper will refer to a 'rugby player'. If a story appears about a RL player who has robbed the local bank, he'll be referred to as a rugby league player. For years Teletext have always lumped RL and RU together on the one page. The national media needs no excuse to marginalise RL. Dropping the league bit would make it worse.

Harlequins is a good example. A RU name through and through, but when added to the RL team merely serves to marginalise RL in the capital. The sport should've developed its own identity with its own name decades ago.

#53 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 25 2010, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went to a collectors fair at Pudsey this afternoon. There were quite a lot of old Rugby League programmes. Some from the fifties. Two that caught my eye were "Halifax Football Club" and "Wigan Football Club" . no mention or Rugby or League at all on the progammes' titles. I wonder how many other RL sides used the title "Football Club?" Hull FC goes without saying. In the sixties when my wife worked in Wakefield, she would be late home if Wakefield were playing mid-week in the the early evening. She would say "the traffic was bad because of the football match"
When did we allow the term "football" to mean just soccer?

Just to confuse matters, until fairly recently Huddersfield were officially the football section of the Huddersfield Cricket and Athletic Club. The programmes used to say "HC&AC" on them up until the 80s I think.

That's me.  I'm done.

#54 no13benny

no13benny
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Jul 25 2010, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand all the points about reclaiming the name 'rugby' but I just think it would be a complete waste of time. At a time when the sport needs to develop its own sense of identity it would be counter productive. The sport gets confused with RU too often as it is. Anyone who lives/has lived in a 'non-heartland' area will no doubt agree.

When I lived in Crewe and I told people I liked watching rugby, they would usually ask about the England RU team and make reference to the 6 Nations. I always had to explain that I meant RL (at which point they usually began to lose interest).

If a story appears in a national newspaper about, say, a RL player doing charity work, the paper will refer to a 'rugby player'. If a story appears about a RL player who has robbed the local bank, he'll be referred to as a rugby league player. For years Teletext have always lumped RL and RU together on the one page. The national media needs no excuse to marginalise RL. Dropping the league bit would make it worse.

Harlequins is a good example. A RU name through and through, but when added to the RL team merely serves to marginalise RL in the capital. The sport should've developed its own identity with its own name decades ago.

Agreed, what about, Origin Football? Leeds Rhinos OFC, St Helens OFC, Wigan Warriors OFC (you get the idea)

After all, football in any form originally came from towns getting a pig skin back to their town, vs the other. The Aussies would be up for it I'm sure, they love Origin!

Origin Super League
Origin Championship
Origin Four Nations
Origin Series (original origin)
Origin World Cup!

Let em have rugby, then no one can be confused which is which, and everyone can see rugby union for what it is, and also see an exciting different sport called Origin.

Edited by no13benny, 25 July 2010 - 10:32 PM.

Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.
Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

#55 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (Cardiff Cymru @ Apr 29 2010, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rugby is simply a place name in the midlands where the original rules of the handling game were drawn up. Anyone for a game of "Huddersfield"?

biggrin.gif

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#56 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (no13benny @ Jul 25 2010, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I'm proud to be a Rugby LEAGUE supporter, and wouldn't want it confused with Rugby Union in any way.

I agree.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#57 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:09 AM

i call them union and us league

in england league fans shouldnt allow union to monopolize the term rugby as it has connotations about them being more the "true" or proper branch of rugby

many RL clubs pre date the formation of the RFU and at the time of the split, the NU had the best clubs therefore meaning we have at least as much right to the history before the rfu was around

plus the name of the game was northern union, not as spiro zavious think northern league

the league term was only added much later.

#58 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Apr 26 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The nicknames don't help

When Leigh had a vote and stuck with the awful "Centurions", I was much more in favour of being called "Leigh Rugby" (with est. 1878 under it), and still am. I will support a return to this for the rest of my life.

As I pointed out a few months ago on the Leythers RLfans messageboard, a tiny village club in Surrey now uses "Leigh Rugby"

The problem is that people don't seem to be respecting history much in RL, especially people running the clubs.

Any club formed before 1895 should use purely RFC

even worse is clubs like huddersfield saying they were formed 1895 when its more like 1864

its bad enough other sports taking our history, whats worse is when we hand it to them on a silver platter

#59 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:20 AM

allowing union to claim ownership of rugby adds further weight to their belief that we are the "bast&rd offshoot" of union.

its just not on.

#60 paley

paley
  • Coach
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Jul 26 2010, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i call them union and us league

in england league fans shouldnt allow union to monopolize the term rugby as it has connotations about them being more the "true" or proper branch of rugby

many RL clubs pre date the formation of the RFU and at the time of the split, the NU had the best clubs therefore meaning we have at least as much right to the history before the rfu was around

plus the name of the game was northern union, not as spiro zavious think northern league

the league term was only added much later.

There was never a game called northern union - there was a governing body called The Northern Rugby Football Union - the sport played was and remains rugby football, or rugby for short. Australian rugby league folk might be keen to hand over their identity to union but that is because rugby league in australia is very weak - it shouldn't be allowed to happen in the UK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users