Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Menzie Yere launches 'Kits For Kumuls' charirty

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

Some of you may have seen this mentioned in League Express - here's the full story smile.gif

We want your support, too, so have a rummage around the bottom of your wardrobes and see what you can find.

MENZIE YERE LAUNCHES ‘KITS FOR KUMULS’ CHARITY

Papua New Guinea international wants your used football boots and rugby kit

Sheffield Eagles’ star Menzie Yere has set up a charity to donate used football boots and rugby kit to impoverished players in his home country of Papua New Guinea – and he wants your donations.

The Papua New Guinea international got the idea for the ‘Kits For Kumuls’ campaign during his first season in England last year. Every two weeks the hard hitting centre and Sheffield Eagles fans’ favourite would buy a new pair of football boots and send them back to his home village in PNG. By the end of the season, he’d collected enough used kit from teammates to more than fill his luggage allocation on the long flight home.

Now, with a little help from Sheffield Eagles and the Rugby League family, he’s decided to turn his idea into a full-blown charity campaign.

‘Kits For Kumuls’ – which will be officially launched this week at Sheffield Eagles’ televised game against Keighley Cougars (Thursday 27 May, kick off 7.30pm, Sky Sports) – aims to collect donations of used rugby kit, cleaned, used football boots and other rugby league equipment from Rugby League fans, clubs, sponsors and sports fans in the UK and distribute them to needy youngsters and amateur players in Papua New Guinea. It is hoped that the first container load of donations will be sent over to PNG in time for the 2010 Gillette Four Nations tournament, in which Papua New Guinea will feature alongside Australia, England and World Champions New Zealand.

Papua New Guinea is a Rugby League mad nation, and is officially the only country that calls the 13-a-side code its national sport.

Menzie Yere said: “In Papua New Guinea the people love Rugby League, but it is very hard to get boots and kit. Many people live in rural areas and have very little money. Some youngsters do not have shoes, let alone rugby boots.”

“When I started playing in England last year I decided to use some of my pay to buy new boots and send them back to my village. I bought a new pair every few weeks. At the end of the season, I collected used rugby kit from other players at the Eagles and took those back with me to give to youngsters.”

“This year, with the help of Sheffield Eagles, I have decided to launch The Menzie Yere Foundation and the ‘Kits For Kumuls’ campaign to collect donations of used kit from Rugby League clubs, fans and players all over the UK to send to Papua New Guinea. I would like to ask everyone to give what they can to help my countrymen and women.”

‘Kits For Kumuls’ is a not for profit campaign and neither Sheffield Eagles nor Menzie Yere will take a penny from donations.

Clubs and individuals can pledge their support and find out where to send kit donations by logging on to www.kits4kumuls.com. Monetary donations to cover the costs of shipping are welcome.

Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#2 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

Surprise there's no love for this, surely some of you have old replica shirts etc you could donate?
www.bristolsonics.com

#3 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (West Country Eagle @ May 24 2010, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surprise there's no love for this, surely some of you have old replica shirts etc you could donate?

Any of my old replica shirts mate would be classed as a tent for the small Kumuls.

#4 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (West Country Eagle @ May 24 2010, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any of my old replica shirts mate would be classed as a tent for the small Kumuls.

#5 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

Id send my old boots, but all the studs have worn through the sole, so ill just bin em instead.

Cummins Out.

#6 Jeffles

Jeffles
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ May 25 2010, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kamping 4 Kumuls? laugh.gif

Great initiative. I've only just read about it but am already thinking of what I can do at my local club Newtown Jets here in Sydney. We have two Kumuls in our team - Tu'u Maori and Keith Peters.

#7 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:55 AM

i binned a whole bunch about 4 months ago.. but will hunt out and see what we can find!

#8 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

Great idea - will have a look and see what I can muster

#9 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

Someone just emailed me and offered an entire team kit (20 shirts, pairs of shorts, pairs of socks etc).

We'll definitely take that!
www.bristolsonics.com

#10 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,345 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (West Country Eagle @ May 25 2010, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Someone just emailed me and offered an entire team kit (20 shirts, pairs of shorts, pairs of socks etc).

We'll definitely take that!

They must be virtually unused as well - the chances of retaining all that kit after playing for a season are pretty low!!
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#11 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (tim2 @ May 25 2010, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They must be virtually unused as well - the chances of retaining all that kit after playing for a season are pretty low!!

Probably. It's a Super Laegue kit as well, though the offer didn't come from the club itself (long story!).

Lots happening, including a letter of support from Deputy PM Nick Clegg!
www.bristolsonics.com

#12 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

Good reactions to this all round.

BBC Radio Five Live's George Riley evens mentions it in his latest RL blog on BBC Sport >>
www.bristolsonics.com

#13 jonny

jonny
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

hopefully i'm not too late for this. !?. posting off a wee parcel today that hopefully will help.

#14 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ May 24 2010, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Flog 'em on ebay and give the money to the cause.

rldfsignature.jpg

#15 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

Just thought I'd give this a bump. Lots happening, and loads of donations coming in…

* Letters of support from Sports Minister Hugh Robertson and acting Labour leader Harriet Harman
* A parcel arrived yesterday from Melbourne Storm star Ryan Hoffman (really!), featuring Storm and NSW Origin gear
* Another Super League club has pledged a full kit - more details of that soon
* Loads of stuff coming in from supporters

A piece on the charity will be aired on Boots N All tonight (6pm, Sky Sports 2, and various repeats) - Bill Arthur headed down to Don Valley yesterday, via the store room over in Stockport

Due to reasons that are too complicated to explain, the name of the charity has now changed to KITS 2 KIDS. We're collecting stuff for adults and kids, still, so feel free to send over whatever you have smile.gif

Find out more here: www.kits2kids.com
www.bristolsonics.com

#16 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

A worthy cause which ALL OF US CAN HELP in some way. don't just leave it up to others do your bit as well where ever possilble. so dig out them shirts and boots and send them to this great cause.

#17 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (The Future is League @ Jul 3 2010, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A worthy cause which ALL OF US CAN HELP in some way. don't just leave it up to others do your bit as well where ever possilble. so dig out them shirts and boots and send them to this great cause.

Indeed smile.gif

What he said, basically.

www.bristolsonics.com