Our game is dying...

I think the game has some pretty big problems.

Until more teams are competitive to the point where they challenge to be the best team in SL on a regular basis its a limited league with only half the teams with a chance and recently only a couple that ever win anything of consequence.

The Crowds are not really growing and the local players that are top notch world class would not make up one squad of 17.

Many of the sponsors are local and poor in all honesty and not anywhere close to National companies that relate to National exposure

If the TV deal is downgraded its curtains for half the Clubs.

Sorry to be negative but the game is at the crossroads.

The franchise points system was pretty pathetic and nearly half the Clubs need a new ground with little happening other than PR ######.

Several Clubs have a population base that ensures they can never be a big Club or be competitive over a number of years.

What's your thoughts on the actual topic of the thread, the financial returns, instead of just having another whinge?

What's your thoughts on the actual topic of the thread, the financial returns, instead of just having another whinge?

I think that amount of turnover is the minimum for a game that aspires to move forward.

Its chicken feed in the scope of things.

My post was more in reply to the subtext (oh no it isn't)

I take it you mean that many of the club sponsors are local, because at the RFL level, outside of Carnegie and Frontline, the rest of the companies are at least national organisations, or part of a multi-national setup.

Here is the current RFL Sponsors just to show:

- William Hill (National)

- Proctor & Gamble (Multinational)

- IHG (Multinational)

- BSkyB (National)

- Engage (National)

- The Co-Operative (National)

- Carnegie (Regional)

- Frontline (Regional)

- Serco-NedRailways (Multinational)

- Puma (Multinational)

- IrnBru (Multinational)

- Peters (National)

- Dewalt (Multinational)

- Valvoline (Multinational)

- Polar (Multinational)

- Steeden (Multinational)

- 2XU (Multinational)

You may be right.

I was talking about actual Club sponsors. What was Leeds Shirt sponsor again? (the club that is the shining light since Saints were)

Which team has a sponsor on their shirt, that is usually the major sponsor isn't it? that would be known around the World say in Australia or NZ

Irnbru multinational? you using The Isle of man as another Country?

Digger World? its almost smaller than Bobs Pie Shop. (in two locations)

Edited by AndyCapp

You may be right.

I was talking about actual Club sponsors. What was Leeds Shirt sponsor again? (the club that is the shining light since Saints were)

Which team has a sponsor on their shirt, that is usually the major sponsor isn't it? that would be known around the World say in Australia or NZ

Wire have Vestas, who are an international company (although I must admit to never having heard of them when they signed up!!!)

WHO?

;)

:P

After looking them up it seems they have bases in Melbourne, Palmerston North, Houston, a couple in Colorado, Portland, Toronto, South America, China, India, all over Europe, and of course, Warrington!

You may be right.

On this point, whilst it would be great to have the major sponsors lining up to have their names emblazoned on the RL shirts, this just doesn't happen, and the game can survive without them. If it means attracting more local sponsors who will put their name on the shirt and pay for the rights, then so be it, and we shouldn't be snobby about it (simply - we can't afford to be!).

On this point, whilst it would be great to have the major sponsors lining up to have their names emblazoned on the RL shirts, this just doesn't happen, and the game can survive without them. If it means attracting more local sponsors who will put their name on the shirt and pay for the rights, then so be it, and we shouldn't be snobby about it (simply - we can't afford to be!).

For a Carton of Beer and a BBQ (Premium Rib Eye Steak with all the sides) I wouldn't mind being a Sleeve sponsor.

Is that possible?

:D

One thing I would say about the quality of sponsor is that I haven't heard of many of the Aussie club main sponsors either, as they are local companies to the Australian market.

With the exception of a few like Sanyo, Toyota, Vodafone and perhaps Pirtek.

What was Leeds Shirt sponsor again? (the club that is the shining light since Saints were)

In the 1990s Leeds were sponsored by Carling, then in 200s by Tetleys, briefley their ground by Bass. The whole game had a 'beer and fags' mentality.

Leeds Rhinos 2010 shirt features sponsorship marques from:-

Leeds Building Society (top 10 Building Societies and one of the more solvent financial institutions in the UK)

Leeds Carnegie (one of the largest universities)

Jet2 (international airline based at Leeds Bradford International Airport)

Berrys (most exclusive jewellers in Leeds, set in the most valuable and prestigious shopping arcade probably anywhere outside London)

All locally based but all with prestige attached and the right associated values.

Now come on, thats not bad work

One thing I would say about the quality of sponsor is that I haven't heard of many of the Aussie club main sponsors either, as they are local companies to the Australian market.

With the exception of a few like Sanyo, Toyota, Vodafone and perhaps Pirtek.

Most of the NRL sponsors though are pretty large in the Australia / NZ markets though. Here are some of the more significant kit sponsors:

These are the on kit sponsors:

Broncos - WOW : National Retailer / Nike

Bulldogs - Jaycar : National retailer / Autobarn : National retailer

Raiders - No one of major note

Cowboys - Toyota / Harvey Norman: Multinational retailer

Titans - Jetstar : Qantas low cost brand / Adidas

Sea Eagles - No one of major note

Storm - Suzuki : Multinational car company / Jayco : Multinational caravan company

Knights - Coal & Allied : This is Rio Tinto / Bluetongue : This is Coca-Cola / McDonalds

Eels - Pirtek : Multinational fluid transfers solutions

Panthers - Sanyo : Multinational electrical goods manufacturer

Sharks - HiSense : Multinational electrical goods manufacturer

Rabbitohs - NAB Bank : Top four bank / Delonghi : Multinational / V8 Supercars : Sponsored by another sport

Dragons - St George Bank : Part of Westpac, top four bank in Australia

Roosters - Steggles : One of the largest

Warriors - Vodafone : Multinational phone carrier / Lion Beer : Multinational Beer brand

Wests Tigers - Proton Cars : Multinational car company / UD Trucks : Multinational

And then with all clubs they have deals with soft drink deals of note (Coke, Pepsi), Alcohol deals (Fosters, Lion Nathan), and Sports Drink deals (Powerade, Gatorade), which I'm amazed not all the Super League clubs have....

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Most of the NRL sponsors though are pretty large in the Australia / NZ markets though. Here are some of the more significant kit sponsors:

These are the on kit sponsors:

Broncos - WOW : National Retailer / Nike

Bulldogs - Jaycar : National retailer / Autobarn : National retailer

Raiders - No one of major note

Cowboys - Toyota / Harvey Norman: Multinational retailer

Titans - Jetstar : Qantas low cost brand / Adidas

Sea Eagles - No one of major note

Storm - Suzuki : Multinational car company / Jayco : Multinational caravan company

Knights - Coal & Allied : This is Rio Tinto / Bluetongue : This is Coca-Cola / McDonalds

Eels - Pirtek : Multinational fluid transfers solutions

Panthers - Sanyo : Multinational electrical goods manufacturer

Sharks - HiSense : Multinational electrical goods manufacturer

Rabbitohs - NAB Bank : Top four bank / Delonghi : Multinational / V8 Supercars : Sponsored by another sport

Dragons - St George Bank : Part of Westpac, top four bank in Australia

Roosters - Steggles : One of the largest

Warriors - Vodafone : Multinational phone carrier / Lion Beer : Multinational Beer brand

Wests Tigers - Proton Cars : Multinational car company / UD Trucks : Multinational

And then with all clubs they have deals with soft drink deals of note (Coke, Pepsi), Alcohol deals (Fosters, Lion Nathan), and Sports Drink deals (Powerade, Gatorade), which I'm amazed not all the Super League clubs have....

I don't doubt the credentials of these sponsors, it was purely in response to AC claiming that he hadn't heard of many of the SL sponsors, yet many over here won't have heard of the sponsors on the front of the NRL shirts.

The fact is that the sports are on different scales, and also sports sponsorhsip is a different thing in the two countries. It appears to be much larger in Australia than it is in the UK (not necessarily in

Is Nigel Wood worth his

Edited by amh

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

• 7 years later...

I understand why you've done this, but dredging up threads from 8 years ago has the potential to get very confusing.

Please stick to the current discussion on the RFL's finances in the thread linked below.

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/328407-rfl-makes-loss/

Thanks