12 replies to this topic

#1 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

Daily Telegraph Australia
Sydney Morning Herald

After the progress they had made in the Pacific Cup, this is a big blow to PNG. I thought he was a great coach, but even if they were to replace him with someone better I doubt the results could be achieved because obviously this coach would only have four weeks preparation before they face The Kangaroos in Sydney.

Why do you think he left though - it sounds to me like he's using St George Illawarra to cover up the feuds.

PNG could have got third place in this years tournament. England did poorly last year on home soil, and awful in Australia in 2008. Remember the game in Townsville finished 32 – 22. This year the same fixtures in Auckland. I think they're certain for fourth now. A national team needs a strong coach who has had past experience when it comes to big competitions.

#2 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

Expect Stanley Gene to take the post...................

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#3 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,768 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (Mumby Magic @ Sep 15 2010, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't be daft.

For a start, how many international coaches are still in their teens.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#4 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:06 PM

Odd decision to leave it so late in the day, with the first game against the AusPM'sXIII side a few weeks away. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Sydney papers has an interview with him soon spilling the beans, so to speak. Concentrating on St George in the play-offs is a bit of a lame excuse.

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (Mumby Magic @ Sep 15 2010, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Already has
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

Gene to be new PNG Boss

#7 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Sep 15 2010, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't be daft.

For a start, how many international coaches are still in their teens.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

(Not because you were wrong - because that was very funny).
People called Romans they go the house

#8 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (brooza @ Sep 15 2010, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Already has

Haha I was only having a wild guess!!

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#9 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:13 AM

Does Stanley have any coaching experience at any level?

If not then this suggests that the administration of rugby league in PNG is uttterly crazy. Coaching is a skill that requires apprenticeship. Adrian Lam had his apprenticeship as an assistant coach in the NRL.

There are plenty of other experienced candidates. Wayne Bennett's brother was the coach for a time in the past.

I hope that this appointment doesn't ruin the PNG performance, which it may well do.
Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#10 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 16 2010, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does Stanley have any coaching experience at any level?

If not then this suggests that the administration of rugby league in PNG is uttterly crazy. Coaching is a skill that requires apprenticeship. Adrian Lam had his apprenticeship as an assistant coach in the NRL.

There are plenty of other experienced candidates. Wayne Bennett's brother was the coach for a time in the past.

I hope that this appointment doesn't ruin the PNG performance, which it may well do.

Been coached by top coaches over the years and years and years and years.

No chance of ruining their chances, PNG love him and the biggest name from PNG

#11 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Sep 16 2010, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Been coached by top coaches over the years and years and years and years.

No chance of ruining their chances, PNG love him and the biggest name from PNG

Plenty of players have been under good Coaches but made ###### Coaches themselves.
Its a totally different skill with different aspects, same as plenty of average players have made good Coaches.
Whether PNG love him or if he is the biggest name from PNG as you say will have little bearing on his Coaching ability.

#12 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (AndyCapp @ Sep 16 2010, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plenty of players have been under good Coaches but made ###### Coaches themselves.
Its a totally different skill with different aspects, same as plenty of average players have made good Coaches.
Whether PNG love him or if he is the biggest name from PNG as you say will have little bearing on his Coaching ability.

Time will tell

Biggest problem PNG is the lack of resources and structure they have as a Rugby Playing nation.

Gene is in a lose no situation, no one expects them to beat the BIG 3, getting close will be classed as an acheivement.

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Sep 16 2010, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Time will tell

Biggest problem PNG is the lack of resources and structure they have as a Rugby Playing nation.

Gene is in a lose no situation, no one expects them to beat the BIG 3, getting close will be classed as an acheivement.

At this late stage, man-management and inspiration will be pretty much all Stanley could (and probably will) deliver. Hopefully, he will have assistants around him that can fill in the technical coaching bits.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users