The Photography Thread

ultimately it's all about the picture and the realisation of the idea of what the picture should look like. If you have a picture in your mind and you can make an image that looks like that, then how it's brought about doesn't matter

Exactly, I post on a photography forum and some people will give a poster a bit of stick over a photograph they have posted. Often the poster says "well I like it", my response usually is to ask "is the photograph what you you saw originally as your idea and does it represent your vision to you. Are you happy with the result. If the answer to that is yes, then you have a good photograph".

Some people like sugar in tea others don't like it it, that's taste.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

000000021.jpg

daughter eleanor riding Cisco in a cross country event

Nicely captured shot.

Personaly I'd be tempted to do a bit of a rotation and a tighter crop and boost the saturation and contrast a bit on the background.

Finally I'd do a bit of selective sharpening and gaussian blur.

If you don't mind me messing about with your shot I'll give it a go and post what I'm talking about.

Edited by Padge

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Nicely captured shot.

Personaly I'd be tempted to do a bit of a rotation and a tighter crop and boost the saturation and contrast a bit on the background.

Finally I'd do a bit of selective sharpening and gaussian blur.

If you don't mind me messing about with your shot I'll give it a go and post what I'm talking about.

to be honest dave I didn't take it. I just thought as you say it was a good picture for folks to look at.

I'd be interested to see what you come up with though.

Eleanor's really going for the competition cross countrys big time this year.

The horse you see her riding is one that belonged to someone else. This year she's taken a horse she's known for a long time on a kind of leasehold. I'm fancying getting into the horse photography game. Cross country is very photogenic

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Here you are Chris.

Forst I rotated the shot and then did a tighter crop.

Adjusted the Yellow and Green channels to boost the saturation of the grass and foliage.

Added some Gaussian Blur to the background and foreground and then sharpened horse and rider.

An overall adjustment of levels then to increase the contrast.

A little more sharpening of the horses eye and a final adjustment to tone down the front log and barrier.

000000021.jpg

Here you are Chris.

Forst I rotated the shot and then did a tighter crop.

Adjusted the Yellow and Green channels to boost the saturation of the grass and foliage.

Added some Gaussian Blur to the background and foreground and then sharpened horse and rider.

An overall adjustment of levels then to increase the contrast.

A little more sharpening of the horses eye and a final adjustment to tone down the front log and barrier.

000000021.jpg

superb mate

the pic looks much more dynamic and three dimensional.

At these events there's always a photographer and you can pic the prints/disc up pretty much straight away, so they don't do any tweaking with them

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

just like developing with different chemicals and dodging, burning along with using filters there is a lot of developing ot go on post picture take,

Ansel Adams didn't take a picture and send the negative to the chemist and then get a perfect print. Darkroom hours were spent getting right, now you work on a computer. It still needs skill, it still needs vision and it still takes time. The only difference is you don't work under a dim red light.

If people think its dead easy to do now then try and get one of your photographs accepted by a top pro stock photo site.

just like developing with different chemicals and dodging, burning along with using filters there is a lot of developing ot go on post picture take,

Ansel Adams didn't take a picture and send the negative to the chemist and then get a perfect print. Darkroom hours were spent getting right, now you work on a computer. It still needs skill, it still needs vision and it still takes time. The only difference is you don't work under a dim red light.

If people think its dead easy to do now then try and get one of your photographs accepted by a top pro stock photo site.

I was going to put this link on the random links thread but I thought it would be a good one to reply to your post with: Creative photo manipulations

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

It still needs skill, it still needs vision and it still takes time.

This is true.

I sometimes take upwards of 2-3 minutes in post-processing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This is true.

I sometimes take upwards of 2-3 minutes in post-processing.

It shows. :D

Wigan St. Judes versus West Hull, very tense game Judes eventually won 28-26

vWestHull_IMG_2118.jpg

vWestHull_IMG_2093.jpg

vWestHull_IMG_2074.jpg

vWestHull_IMG_2069.jpg

vWestHull_IMG_2064.jpg

I was going to put this link on the random links thread but I thought it would be a good one to reply to your post with: Creative photo manipulations

They all have one thing in common, they start with one or more good photographs.

Excellant stuff.

It shows. :D

:P That was a gimme but you took it well! Good shots from the rugby.

Anyway, rather than pollute with some soccer shots, here are some men leaping on each other:

4487665974_193eb4d0f8.jpg

I did actually do some post-processing on this. I nudged the contrast along. The jpegs from the D90 are coming back really flat - I probably should read the manual.

Anyway, some match photos here ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

:P That was a gimme but you took it well! Good shots from the rugby.

Anyway, rather than pollute with some soccer shots, here are some men leaping on each other:

4487665974_193eb4d0f8.jpg

I did actually do some post-processing on this. I nudged the contrast along. The jpegs from the D90 are coming back really flat - I probably should read the manual.

Anyway, some match photos here ...

Did he get the blow job.

That's for a hat-trick.

There is 3 of them he's going for.