full back

dydo

Steve Collins was the best I've seen for the Rovers.

Whilst acknowledging what has gone before I would like to include Brian Wrigglesworth as a full back that made a significant contrbution to our team. My mind goes back to the 1967 cup final. Burgess the Barrow wingman was an international and very fast and wily. He broke clear on the right wing and had only Wriggie to beat to our amazement Wrigie offered him the outside. Burgess took it and hit his stride. On more stride and he was clear. Then Wriggie timing his tackle to perfection took him out at the final split second. A tackle thatstill sticks in my memory. We have had numerous good full backs that have all played their part. This was one of them.

Steve Collins was the best I've seen for the Rovers.

Me too by a mile ,pure class and faultless every game

IMO Zak wasted on the wing. Worth remembering that he has only ever played wing in last few months while with 1st team. When you watch him play FB its obviously his 'natural' position. An opportunity at FB in first team would be a chance to show what he can really do! Being a utility player is not always what its cracked up to be, less chance to hone your skills in preferred position, however Hardman playin well so difficult choices!!

He's been excellent on the wing, can't wait to see his chance at full back in the league then! he did do excellent at Hunslet.

Cummins Out.

Yeah and a good winger for us too.

yeah good at scoring a few nice trys and a nice lad ,but an absolute nightmare and liability at letting them in especially from kicks , i cringed big style with every kick that went his way

They were never 1st choice full back though, only cover unlike matt!

Ah! thought you meant who'd played there at all, but they were pretty gash, Moss was full of effort but got steamrolled by Robbie Paul in the cup game other year, Bower... everything just went wrong if it went near him.

Cummins Out.

The worse one for me ( and I do admit that I didn't go from 96 -06) is a surprise one to some. It was because of the reputation that he came with. He was an Australian test Full Back, who toured in '78' and came to play with us in 83/84. He was ######, his name; Alan McMahon. He wasn't the worst Australian Full back we had though, who remembers Rodney Pethybridge?

Best Full Back in my time. Chris Bibb.

By the way just to answer a poster earlier on, the reason that you would but Zak Hardaker in at Full Back instead of Ian Hardman is that Zak Hardaker is a better Full Back in MHO.

As for the other Poster who said we have been a selling club, yes you are correct, but aren't we still? or still at least a "losing players to bigger clubs" club.

Parker's probably gone now, as predicted by some of us in April, to a club in a higher division (allegedly).

How long do you think Rovers will keep Zak if his progression stays the same?

The kid's going to want to test himself at higher levels, playing against the better players and deservedly, enjoying the financial trappings that this will bring.

I bet someone now going to say ' We've got him on a long contract'.

That bit of paper is about as useful as a piece of Izal when you've had a tindaloo.

Edited by Andrew Vause

The worse one for me ( and I do admit that I didn't go from 96 -06) is a surprise one to some. It was because of the reputation that he came with. He was an Australian test Full Back, who toured in '78' and came to play with us in 83/84. He was ######, his name; Alan McMahon. He wasn't the worst Australian Full back we had though, who remembers Rodney Pethybridge?

Best Full Back in my time. Chris Bibb.

By the way just to answer a poster earlier on, the reason that you would but Zak Hardaker in at Full Back instead of Ian Hardman is that Zak Hardaker is a better Full Back in MHO.

As for the other Poster who said we have been a selling club, yes you are correct, but aren't we still? or still at least a "losing players to bigger clubs" club.

Parker's probably gone now, as predicted by some of us in April, to a club in a higher division (allegedly).

How long do you think Rovers will keep Zak if his progression stays the same?

The kid's going to want to test himself at higher levels, playing against the better players and deservedly, enjoying the financial trappings that this will bring.

I bet someone now going to say ' We've got him on a long contract'.

That bit of paper is about as useful as a piece of Izal when you've had a tindaloo.

Chris Bibb was a cracking fullback, and probably the most stylish i've seen in a Fev shirt. can't agree about allan McMahon though, his length of the field chase and tackle on widnes winger David Bently was breathtaking.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif