Tim Sheens says he would pick Gareth Ellis in the Australian team.

If Super League can only sell itself to one commercial channel that puts 1 game to air at 12:30am on a Monday Morning (same time as the Challenge Cup Final) why is it Australian ignorance? That TV deal was trumpeted as a big success for the English game in Oz, it lasted on Sunday afternoons for around 5 weeks before the NRL game was shown before being taken off altogether then moved to past midnight Sunday.

The NRL gets 3 games a week on TV either live or slight delay and all games are shown on Foxtel, most live.

Why would Aussies be looking at what is happening in England, when all most see is retirees moving over here for a pension.

Surely its up to the English League to sell its product and produce a product that will attract interest.

Most Australians will not know much about Badminton, should they?

How much do you know about the "A League" from Australia?

Then that proves the point that the majority of Aussies are only interested in the NRL not rugby league as a whole. Don't they have any means of recording a TV signal in Australia? Don't they have the internet in Australia? Games in Australia happen when I'm in bed or at work yet I am familiar with their top players? Does that make me an anorak or just someone who is actually interested in the game rather than one competition? The ignorance used to be compounded when the Australian commentators would usually refer to GB as England. At least we've taken that option away from them.

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then that proves the point that the majority of Aussies are only interested in the NRL not rugby league as a whole. Don't they have the internet in Australia? Games in Australia happen when I'm in bed or at work yet I am familiar with their top players? Does that make me an anorak or just someone who is actually interested in the game rather than one competition? The ignorance used to be compounded when the Australian commentators would usually refer to GB as England. At least we've taken that option away from them.

Maybe Australians get all they want from the game locally?

Do people that follow the Premier League have a wide knowledge of Australia A League Soccer/Football?

Do American Basketball followers know much about Basketball Leagues in other countries?

Etc Etc....

The Australians see the NRL as the premier game and do not get any coverage of the English game on TV or the Newspapers, should they be searching the Net to find out more about our game?

Which site streamed the Challenge Cup to Australia?

SL has positioned itself through lack of marketing and development as a secondary game that imports 1/3 of its players from the Southern Hemisphere of mediocre talent or over the odds wages. Why should the Aussies be scouring the Net to see what is going on?

All they see is a team that has only contested one Final series against them in recent memory only to be flogged by 30 points.

During the telecast of West Tigers vs Gold Coast Titans, the commentators referred to Mark Flanagan as "the Englishman Mark Flanagan."

So Australians are interested in who are English players in the NRL.

If the Super League was shown at a reasonable hour in Australia, more Australians would be familiar with English rugby league players.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

The comment by Tim Sheens was probably made by him as a compliment. From the mouth of Phil Gould it comes over as incredibly condescending. It's almost as if we should be thankful that we have a player who, in their opinion, is good enough to grace the Australian team. Unfortunately for the Aussies, wishing that an Englishman could play for them shows up the fact that their supposed strength in depth isn't as good as they say it is.

24 posts from you and you know me so well. ;):lol:

Paris dribbles male genitals all the time, if it's your dad, get some kleenex and tug together.

You'll see in time, same old same old + IF's, But's and Maybe's

One thing ..... How can may opinion be ignorant???

Oh, so because your a prolific contributor your more reasoned than anyone else!! all 3000+ posts of yours are probably in the same vein. I really don't need to 'know' you to know your just an abusive bully. Your attitude to this other guy stinks, It just so happens he is entitled to his opinion without being told by you that no-one else is interested in what he thinks or writes. Just because his view is superior to yours (and probably his intelligence too) your throwing a hissy fit. Grow up and get real.

Incidentally I have never met/spoke/communicated with Paris. You really should take some elocution lessons your grasp of nouns/pronouns/adjectives and split infinitives leaves a lot to be desired

2/10 must try harder

Oh, so because your a prolific contributor your more reasoned than anyone else!! all 3000+ posts of yours are probably in the same vein. I really don't need to 'know' you to know your just an abusive bully. Your attitude to this other guy stinks, It just so happens he is entitled to his opinion without being told by you that no-one else is interested in what he thinks or writes. Just because his view is superior to yours (and probably his intelligence too) your throwing a hissy fit. Grow up and get real.

Incidentally I have never met/spoke/communicated with Paris. You really should take some elocution lessons your grasp of nouns/pronouns/adjectives and split infinitives leaves a lot to be desired

2/10 must try harder

Correct on every point, :lol: (including never having met/spoken/coomunicated with me).

_____

2/10 must try harder

you know me so well was taking the proverbial you silly person. (you haven't a clue how much rubbish paris posts)

BULLY.............. get real, far far from a Bully

His view is superior....... well put it on the Aussie forum for the w..kfeast to continue.

i don't need elocution lessons mate ( i do have dyslexia, so with no spell check i do struggle)

My attitude towards Paris stinks :lol::lol::lol:

I respect everybodys opinions on here excpect his, its total and utter ###### in most of his posts.

IF, but or maybe................ I think he read to many enid blyton books as a kid. :O

The Australian newspaper Sun-Herald has named Sam Burgess and Gareth Ellis in its 2010 Team of the Year:

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/rugby-l...0904-14v1l.html

The fact that the Sun-Herald included both Gareth Ellis and Sam Burgess in its NRL team of the year (17 players)shows that the high evaluation of these two English forwards goes far beyond Tim Sheens and Phil Gould.

_____

The fact that the Sun-Herald included both Gareth Ellis and Sam Burgess in its NRL team of the year (17 players)shows that the high evaluation of these two English forwards goes far beyond Tim Sheens and Phil Gould.

Who cares?

Does the fact that some Aussie newspaper rates these two make England more likely to win the 4N?

Gould talks even more sh!te than you, and that's saying something.

Anyhow, I really didn't think racists would be tolerated on here.

Maybe Australians get all they want from the game locally?

Do people that follow the Premier League have a wide knowledge of Australia A League Soccer/Football?

Do American Basketball followers know much about Basketball Leagues in other countries?

Etc Etc....

The Australians see the NRL as the premier game and do not get any coverage of the English game on TV or the Newspapers, should they be searching the Net to find out more about our game?

Which site streamed the Challenge Cup to Australia?

SL has positioned itself through lack of marketing and development as a secondary game that imports 1/3 of its players from the Southern Hemisphere of mediocre talent or over the odds wages. Why should the Aussies be scouring the Net to see what is going on?

All they see is a team that has only contested one Final series against them in recent memory only to be flogged by 30 points.

You've just pointed out that the NRL is the premier rugby league in the world. It's one of only two fully pro comps in the world. I'd expect the Aussies to at least have a passing interest in it. Plenty of Premiership football fans know about the Italian/German/Spanish league and their top players. It's not that difficult to find out info in this day and age IF you want to. You also pointed out that the SLE coverage was taken off after about five weeks. Is that because of the apathetic attitude of the average Australian rugby league fan who didn't bother to watch? By your own logic are the Aussies really well clued up on New Zealand domestic rugby league? After all they are the WC holders and have won the 3N and have also taken the Aussies close in a few finals recently. We'll agree to disagree on this one or we'll get nowhere.

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

You've just pointed out that the NRL is the premier rugby league in the world. It's one of only two fully pro comps in the world. I'd expect the Aussies to at least have a passing interest in it. Plenty of Premiership football fans know about the Italian/German/Spanish league and their top players. It's not that difficult to find out info in this day and age IF you want to. You also pointed out that the SLE coverage was taken off after about five weeks. Is that because of the apathetic attitude of the average Australian rugby league fan who didn't bother to watch? By your own logic are the Aussies really well clued up on New Zealand domestic rugby league? After all they are the WC holders and have won the 3N and have also taken the Aussies close in a few finals recently. We'll agree to disagree on this one or we'll get nowhere.

Maybe the channel that showed the SL games made a commercial decision that there was no interest? why was there no interest? You tell me.

Can you tell me about the Kiwi domestic League? How many players are selected from that League to play for New Zealand?

By my logic Aussies are comfortable with their local game and do not feel the need to see what England is doing.

Are they wrong?

There are couple of points to consider.

Young Australian fans know little about SL as there is no coverage of that League in Oz and they are saturated by the local game that they consider to be the pinnacle of the game (unlike the Premier League compared to Spain or Italy) different to your examples.

A better example would be an English Premier League fan knowing what is happening in Norway's League.

Lesser comps look up to the best at the Sport as the bench mark. The best do not really give a Rats whats below them.

Older NRL fans have never forgotten what happened in the SL Wars in Oz.

The decision by GB at that time will always stick in the neck of most Aussies.

Edited by AndyCapp

By my logic Aussies are comfortable with their local game and do not feel the need to see what England is doing.

Are they wrong?

There are couple of points to consider.

Young Australian fans know little about SL as there is no coverage of that League in Oz and they are saturated by the local game that they consider to be the pinnacle of the game (unlike the Premier League compared to Spain or Italy) different to your examples.

A better example would be an English Premier League fan knowing what is happening in Norway's League.

Lesser comps look up to the best at the Sport as the bench mark. The best do not really give a Rats whats below them.

Older NRL fans have never forgotten what happened in the SL Wars in Oz.

The decision by GB at that time will always stick in the neck of most Aussies.

Fine by me.

If Australians aren't interested in SL, then that's just great.

I honestly couldn't give a flying ###### if the inhabitants of some backwater 10,000 miles are not interested in SL.

The fact that some people feel the need to cream themselves over the NRL is, quite frankly, embarrassing.

Fine by me.

I honestly couldn't give a flying ###### if the inhabitants of some backwater 10,000 miles are not interested in SL.

The fact that some people feel the need to cream themselves over the NRL is, quite frankly, embarrassing.

Good for you Hannibal.

Not sure if Australia is a backwater, it is one of the wealthiest countries in the World in resources and enjoys a standard of living that is the envy of many countries.

I am thinking of going to the 4 nations this year, I will be disappointed if its third world.

You going?

Edited by AndyCapp

Maybe it proves that people with English genes in them are inherently better suited to be forwards? There are 4 English players in the NRL. 50% of them are in the NRL team of the year. Conclusive if you ask me.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Good for you Hannibal.

Not sure if Australia is a backwater, it is one of the wealthiest countries in the World in resources and enjoys a standard of living that is the envy of many countries.

I am thinking of going to the 4 nations this year, I will be disappointed if its third world.

You going?

I've been, on a number of occasions.

It's a backwater, you 'll be disappointed.

Enjoy anyway.

Maybe it proves that people with English genes in them are inherently better suited to be forwards? There are 4 English players in the NRL. 50% of them are in the NRL team of the year. Conclusive if you ask me.

By one Newspaper that has an interest in selling the game and any stories they can sell about something different.

The Dally M awards will see where its at, good chance that Ellis and Burgess will figure whether they win their spot in front of Thaiday and Gallen etc remains to be seen.

By one Newspaper that has an interest in selling the game and any stories they can sell about something different.

The Dally M awards will see where its at, good chance that Ellis and Burgess will figure whether they win their spot in front of Thaiday and Gallen etc remains to be seen.

Whoosh. I think it was a dig at another poster, Andy.

Not that it invalidates your point, mind.

People called Romans they go the house

you know me so well was taking the proverbial you silly person. (you haven't a clue how much rubbish paris posts)

OK reality time

Your posts =3071 since Sept 14th 2009

= 356 days = 8.626 posts per day.

And you claim Paris talks drivel.

Fine by me.

i personally love the super league, i did before i went to england and did so more afterwards.

as for backwater comment, i have travelled a fair bit and a backwater we aint buddy. maybe you should lighten up a little and try and enjoy it next time like everyone else does! ;)

i personally love the super league, i did before i went to england and did so more afterwards.

as for backwater comment, i have travelled a fair bit and a backwater we aint buddy. maybe you should lighten up a little and try and enjoy it next time like everyone else does! ;)

How does Sydney compare to Brisbane though Hutch?

Edited by AndyCapp

Unfortunately both of the two famous Englishmen missed out on winning any of the Dally M awards tonight. However one of St Helens' favourite sons did win a medal:

NRL Tue, 07 Sep 2010 20:49:00

Dally M:

The complete list of Dally M Award winners for 2010 announced tonight at the State Theatre in Sydney:

Dally M Medal: Todd Carney (Sydney Roosters)

Provan Summons Medal: Todd Carney (Sydney Roosters)

Captain: Braith Anasta (Sydney Roosters)

Fullback: Darius Boyd (St George Illawarra Dragons)

Winger: Akuila Uate (Newcastle Knights)

Centre: Jamie Lyon (Manly Sea Eagles)

Five-Eighth: Todd Carney (Sydney Roosters)

Halfback: Scott Prince (Gold Coast Titans)

Lock: Luke Lewis (Penrith Panthers)

Second Row: Sam Thaiday (Brisbane Broncos)

Prop: David Shillington (Canberra Raiders)

Hooker: Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers)

Coach: Brian Smith (Sydney Roosters)

Rep Player: Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm)

Rookie: Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)

Toyota Cup Player of the Year: Tariq Sims (Brisbane Broncos)

Peter Frilingos Headline Moment: Jarryd Hayne (Parramatta Eels)

Top Point Scorer: Michael Gordon (Penrith Panthers)

Top Try Scorer: Akuila Uate (Newcastle Knights)

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____