Who was top 5 players today?

dipset11

All of whom were young, inexperienced players with something to prove when we had them.

Using experienced first team players (a current international in this case!) who play a couple of games for the partner club in order to gain a bit of match fitness is farcical.

I fully agree, Terminator.

When used "properly" (by which I mean to develop young talent in the game by regular game time in the Championship), then everyone benefits.

Perhaps an age limit should be applied to DR to prevent the "farce" to which you refer.

But maybe SL teams wouldn't be too happy with that...

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

I fancy that, considering Southernwood wasn't available for the first 2 friendlies, our halves will grow into a very capable pair quite quickly. They only had 2 games together before the real thing, and despite what work you put in in training, you're only up against your own mates who aren't out to knock you down and hurt you. They'll get 'attention' in games but if they keep pushing teams back like Sunday, it will be better for us playing at the opposition end of the field. I would agree though with one comment which referred to a few aimless and pointless kicks. For a long time we've been poor in that area. Regardless of the esteem in which Blacky was held he wasn't a great field kicker, nor was Moore. Kicks seem often a way of getting rid of the ball rather than making it work for us the way Oulton used to. (Could do worse than ring him for tips, he's get on our forum!!) All too often it's an easy collect for the full back or goes straight to hand. Yes, I know kicks produced results this game, but it's about time as we in turn have been exposed with kicks to the corners on many occasions. Work on the kicks as a way of getting results and these 2 will match anybody. Also, it's defence that wins games for you, and as JK said on the radio, ours is immense, after all it's a JK trademark.

Agree in relation to our kicking game.  Can't remember the last time we knew that we would consistently pin the opposition back with our kicking.  And how is it we never seem to even attempt to kick a 40/20?  With it being our home ground and being able to practice on it regularly you would think that we would at least be trying to kick some during the match but we never do.  In fact the have been occasions when the visitors have been more successful at it than we have!!

With regard to performances on Sunday, as already stated don't think anyone had a poor game, some maybe slightly better than others.  I especially thought Chandler had a very good game, probably his best in a Batley shirt.  Will be interesting to see what happens with Mitchell this week.  Thought he would have been a definite starter if he hadn't been ill. Don't think there were any serious knocks on Sunday so will JK change the line up or will he go with the same 17?

Didn't stop him though did it, kept coming and coming and coming, bet Mattinson was pig sick, and in return , what did Mattinson do other than stop Lillycrop.Not much as 30-6 confirms.

he can go as many times as he likes but if he's getting bashed about by a small hooker then hes not doing very well, especially for someone who normally has a lot of punch.

he can go as many times as he likes but if he's getting bashed about by a small hooker then hes not doing very well, especially for someone who normally has a lot of punch.

It's called having an opinion. Just because what they see differs from what you do, their opinion is no less valid than yours. l thought he went well. What l would want from my forwards is that they continue to run in hard, no matter how hard they get hit. This eventually softens up the opposition. Mattison might not have softened up, but the rest of the huge pack that Workington had certainly lessened in effectiveness as the match went on!

Archived