Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

On 31/01/2018 at 12:41 PM, Graham said:

Another Englishman keen to play in the NRL

Alex Walmsley is supposedly on the verge of signing a deal with a Sydney based club.

Standing 196cm and weighing 115 kilos, the prop is contracted to St Helens this year but ready to move to the NRL in 2019.

Well not long after posting this I find when looking at teletext today that he's gone and re-signed for St Helens for another four years!

Well would you Adam and Eve it?

Bulldogs have continued their lucrative signing spree, securing Gold Coast flyer John Olive effective immediately.

The 21-year old winger inked a two-year deal beginning next week.

Olive made his debut for Souths as an 18-year old in 2018, before signing with the Titans, where he made a dozen appearances.

The Bulldogs, today announced the signing of Olive, who once played in their junior competition.

Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan spoke highly of the injury-riddled outside back.

Penrith Panthers forward Bryce Cartwright has been granted an immediate release from the club to link with the Gold Coast Titans. 

The release was finalised on Saturday, allowing Cartwright to join the Titans on a four-year deal.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/03/bryce-cartwright-released-by-penrith-panthers-to-join-gold-coast-titans/

Shaun Johnson has undergone eye surgery – but it won't affect his 2018 NRL season.

The Warriors star had an operation on Thursday, to remove a benign growth on the surface of his right eye.

Called a Pterygium, it's a growth on the white of the eye.

It's common among sportspeople that spend a lot of time in the sun, particularly cricketers, surfers and tennis players.

Black Caps batsman Ross Taylor had a similar type growth removed in December 2016., which caused him to miss the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy series the following January.

Johnson's absence from action isn't expected to be as long.

He missed Warriors' training today, and will sit out tomorrow's session, but is expected to make a quick recovery and could be back in training as soon as next week.

The Pterygium had been causing irritation for the Warriors and Kiwi halfback and was first noticed about a year ago.

It wasn't affecting his eye sight – more a source of discomfort – but can impinge on vision if left unchecked.

Bryce Cartwright to the Gold Coast effective immediately!

Some things a miss at the Panthers

Edited by RabbitRhinoovOZ

1 minute ago, Graham said:

He wanted away. report above suggests he wanted a fresh start with a coach who knows him well and is a friend.

Sorry I missed that as I no longer look at duckys posts due to him being a thin skinned individual .

Cartwright & Moylan are two of Penrith's best three juniors in years, Something wrong there.

Hodkinson to Sharks:

Trent Hodkinson is set to sign with the Cronulla Sharks early this week after being granted a release from the Newcastle Knights.

The 29-year-old halfback will meet Sharks officials on Monday and NRL.com understands he could sign a contract with Cronulla as early as Monday to begin training with his new teammates on Tuesday.

He will touch base with Sharks coach Shane Flanagan along with other officials as he prepares to make the move from the Hunter after two seasons with the Newcastle Knights.

Parra chief executive Bernie Gurr says he can’t blame Semi Radradra for chasing another big payday following the Fijian flyer’s decision to remain in French rugby union.

The Eels’ hope of luring Semi Radradra back to the NRL club were dealt a blow on Thursday after he signed a two-year deal with first-division club Bordeaux.

The one-time Kangaroos representative moves from rivals Toulon, who signed Radradra to a deal worth an estimated $1 million at the end of last year’s NRL season.

Radradra had left the door open for a return to the Eels after he signed a one-year deal with Toulon with the option for a second.

But the powerhouse flyer will now remain in France with a view for selection in Fiji’s World Cup side at the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

“Quite frankly, with the money on offer over there and the fact he had a one-year deal and a one-year option with Toulon, we expected him to take up that option with Toulon,” Gurr told Fairfax Media.

“So the money he must have been offered not to take it up and go to Bordeaux must have been outrageous.

“The salary cap is a necessity in the NRL. We can’t let the odd player here or there dictate changes in the salary cap rules; it would be shortsighted and not prudent.

“As much as we would love to welcome him back — and who knows, maybe Semi may eventually come back — it’s totally understandable what he is doing.”

Billy Slater is a definite starter for next week’s World Club Challenge and isn’t ruling out extending his NRL career beyond this season.

The 34-year-old says he will play against Super League champions Leeds on February 16 at AAMI despite only recently returning to training. 

“I’ll be playing unless something happens in the next couple of weeks. I’ll be out there definitely,” Slater said on Monday.

“I know myself that I will have enough work in me to play a game.

“I won’t be 100 per cent fit but hopefully I will be pretty close.”

Slater believed Storm captain Cameron Smith would also be available despite only completing his first training session last week.

Melbourne have a trial match on Wednesday against Newcastle behind closed doors and will use that and the WCC to decide between Brodie Croft and Ryley Jacks as their starting halfback following Cooper Cronk’s departure to the Sydney Roosters.

Slater, who will sit out the Knights trial, joked that Melbourne recruit Sam Kasiano could fit into the No.7 jersey given the prop’s stunning weight loss since joining the club from the Bulldogs.

“I’ve never seen Sam look this good and you know what kind of player he is so I’m looking forward to playing alongside him,” Slater said.

Billy says his body is feeling good before his 300th NRL game, which will be in round one against the Bulldogs.

He said he hadn’t make a decision about his playing future but wouldn’t leave it until season’s end like last year.

“Naturally you do have thoughts but I haven’t made a decision on what I do past this year,” Slater said.

“I’ll make that decision down the track but I don’t think I’ll leave it until the end of the year.”

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have extended the contracts of forward Raymond Faitala-Mariner and local junior Brandon Wakeham.

Faitala-Mariner, who debuted in the NRL for the Warriors back in 2015, made 16 appearances for the Bulldogs last season, many of them off the bench.

The hard-running 24-year-old second rower was a major impact player with his aggressive running style and ability to offload.

Faitala-Mariner has had his contract extended for an additional year until the end of the 2020 season.

19-year-old halfback Brandon Wakeham has received a two-year contract extension, keeping him at the Bulldogs until the end of the 2020 season.

Wests Tigers have entered the race for the signature of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck as they attempt to land a long-term replacement for James Tedesco.

Tuivasa-Sheck, off contract at the end of the year, is one of the hottest properties on the open market as league and union clubs clamour for his signature. Tigers have contacted his management to register their interest in the hope of bringing the former Roosters fullback back to Sydney.

The departure of Tedesco to the Roosters – who will line up against his former club in a blockbuster opening to the NRL season – has left a void at the Tigers. Tui Lolohea is likely to get first crack at the position, although Kevin Naiqama will also have claims after a starring role in Fiji's Rugby League World Cup campaign.

However, Lolohea is equally adept at playing anywhere in the back line and there is a feeling the club needs a superstar replacement for NSW custodian Tedesco.

RTS is at the top of the Tigers' wish list, although they face stiff opposition for his signature. 

Ryan James will retain the Gold Coast Titans captaincy and could be joined in leading the club by a reformed Kevin Proctor.

New Titans coach Garth Brennan told The Courier-Mail he has found no reason to take the captaincy off James.

James and Proctor were installed as co-captains of the Titans for the 2017 season by former coach Neil Henry.

Proctor’s stint in the position lasted just seven games after he was involved in a drugs scandal while in camp with New Zealand for the Anzac Test.

Proctor was stripped of the co-captaincy, leaving James as the sole captain for the remainder of the season as the Titans plummeted to finish second last.

When he arrived at the club, Brennan said he would monitor the leadership credentials of his players before deciding on a skipper.

Ryan James will captain the Titans. Brennan said he had been impressed by James since joining the club and was set to stick with the local product.

“Ryan James is the current captain and I probably haven’t seen a lot to really change that,” he said.

“There is Nathan Peats, Kevin Proctor and Michael Gordon ... there are some names, but to be honest I haven’t seen too much to change my view on why Ryan James needs to have the captaincy taken off him at this point.

“He is a local guy who loves the club. He is passionate about the club and that’s important to me.

“I want a club that’s community built, which we are on the way to doing. I want the local kids to have aspirations to be a Ryan James, play for the Titans and captain the Titans.

Cronulla Sharks have ended the search for a new CEO, replacing former chief executive Lyall Gorman with club legend Barry Russell

Russell comes from a successful business background where he managed Harvey Norman’s group sales for almost a decade, while also holding the role of the NRL’s commercial sponsorship manager for 12 years.

Sharks chairman Dino Mezzatesta announced Russell’s appointment on the club's website.

“We had many worthy and highly qualified applicants for the position, however Barry’s business background, knowledge of the NRL and his commercial expertise, not to mention his enthusiasm and love of the Cronulla club, made him a standout amongst the candidates,” Mezzatesta said.

“We welcome him on board and look forward to him getting started, confident he will make a significant contribution towards the continued success of our club.”

Russell, a former Rothmans Medallist, was thrilled to reunite with his beloved club after 27 years since he last wore the black, white and blue jersey.

“I have a deep understanding and passion for our club and its proud history,” Russell said.

“I look forward to representing our Board, community, members and fans in building our great club into the best in the NRL on and off the field.”

His appointment comes as good news to the Sharks after an unsteady 2017 which saw the departure of Gorman to Manly and the resignation of chairman Damian Keogh who pleaded guilty to possessing cocaine in May 2017. 

Russell spent his entire playing career at the Sharks between 1985-1991, making 76 appearances and scoring 31 tries.

Chris Danks:

In huge news for Melbourne’s post-Big Three plans, Curtis Scott has re-signed with the Storm for a further three years

While Cameron Munster’s future is reportedly up in the air/secure at the club, Scott’s $1.5 million contract extension will keep him at the club until the end of 2021.

In just his second season of first grade, Scott tasted grand final success with the Storm in 2017 only days before his 20th birthday.

Having played all his junior footy as a right centre, Scott shifted to the left after making the move to Melbourne with two NRL games under his belt to accommodate Kangaroos star Will Chambers, proving such a revelation that he now sits on the cusp of Origin selection in 2018.

Alongside Chambers, who re-signed with the Storm through 2021 last year, Melbourne have the best defensive centres in the game when it comes to try causes - the number of times a centre had a chance to stop a try and didn't. 

With Josh Addo-Carr on his outside, Scott also crossed for six tries, with three try assists and nine line breaks in his 13 appearances in 2017.

In 2015, Melbourne had to beat 11 rivals to lure Scott to bleak city after Scott captained Cronulla’s SG Ball team to a premiership as a 17-year-old, but it hasn’t been a completely smooth road for the talented back.

According to Sam Ayoub, Scott’s manager, injuries and limited time on the paddock had Scott questioning his future in the purple before regular game time midway through the 2017 season solidified Scott’s future at the club.

Storm regulars Tim Glasby, Felise Kaufusi, Billy Slater and Cameron Smith all come off-contract at the end of 2018.

So Ben Barba has a really good game in SL for St Helens and is quoted as saying that one day he'd like to return to NRL

That signal has been picked up at least but Cronulla who say they would welcome him back - this the bloke the some in the media call 'the fallen hero'.

Cronulla says their welfare people keep in touch with Ben and his wife.

My favourite RL (TV) commentator, Vossy, reckons that G C Titans ho finished second last in 2018 will likely sink to wooden spoonists this season.

I don't get that vibe, do you?

Here's Vossy's reasoning:

In his “Vossy’s Verdict”column for Big League Magazine, Voss proclaimed 2017’s second-worst side would be sinking even lower this year.

“Here’s a club with a rookie coach, coming off a tough year after finishing 15th,” Voss said. “The turbulent era of Jarryd Hayne has come to an end, but it’s with a little bit of ‘fear’ that I make the season forecast.

“The last time I tipped them as wooden spooners (in 2016), they left me with egg on my face. But a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.”

“The potential ‘plus’ in their draw is that they will appear in 11 daytime games,” Voss said. “The negative is they are scheduled to play what I call this season’s ‘big three’ twice, the (North Queensland) Cowboys, (Melbourne) Storm and the (Sydney) Roosters.”

Coach Brennan responded to doomsday wooden spoon predictions, admitting the upcoming season looks grim on paper with the odds stacked against the struggling club.

“We’re not going to win every game but I want teams who beat us to go away saying, ‘Gee they were a hard team to beat’,” the 45-year-old said.

The signing of former Penrith front-rower Leilani Latu, a powerful prop Brennan oversaw while filling the assistant coach’s role at the Panthers, has the new coach excited.

“He’s a big body, he carts the ball forward well but he’s also got some silky skills, which is handy in a big man. I’m excited he’s made the trip up here and I think he can improve even more.”

NRL have decided to register Matt Lodge's contract with Broncos despite him having pleaded guilty to assault.

Surely Broncos don't really need him with their pool of young talent?

Wayne must think he will mprove their chances though.

Is this damaging to Broncos image, the NRL's image or what?

12 hours ago, Graham said:

NRL have decided to register Matt Lodge's contract with Broncos despite him having pleaded guilty to assault.

Surely Broncos don't really need him with their pool of young talent?

Wayne must think he will mprove their chances though.

Is this damaging to Broncos image, the NRL's image or what?

Well, the NRL open Pandora's box with the return of Russell Packer... It gives Anthony Watts and others plenty of hope.

No doubt that Bennett likes the motivator in him. Imagine that a player, say Thaiday or Bird, is dodging it at training, he'll train a lot harder if Lodge whispers "Work harder you fat slob, or this is the day you are going to die!" in his ears.

He's no fool, that Bennett fellow.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

Titans recruit Bryce Cartwright has revealed the mixed emotions he encountered surrounding his Penrith exit.

Cartwright had been training during the pre-season with the Panthers until his shock four-year deal with the Gold Coast was announced last weekend.

Realising his chances in the halves with the Panthers would be limited, Cartwright was excited to accept new Titans coach Garth Brennan's invitation to take on a role in the forwards on the Gold Coast.

Penrith general manager Phil Gould was criticised for his role in the move, with rumours circulating that Cartwright was released to allow the Panthers a greater chance in retaining star playmaker Nathan Cleary.

However, the Titans recruit said that Gould was upset to lose Cartwright's services, but didn't hold any grudges towards the high-profile switch.

"(Gould) was fine with it. He thought it was a good move for myself to get out of Sydney and for a fresh start. He was also upset too," Cartwright said on Friday.

"I signed my first contract there when I was 15 so I’ve been there since I was a young kid.

"It was upsetting but he said to me that he thought it was the right move. Luckily we worked something out."

Cartwright also denied he had a tense relationship with Penrith coach Anthony Griffin.

The 23-year-old said he and Griffin were on good terms, despite Griffin being pinpointed by fans as being the reason behind the departure of both Cartwright and former Panthers skipper Matt Moylan.

"I had a great relationship with (Griffin). He's a straight-up guy, he's really honest, it's hard training down there but he'll give it to you really honest," Cartwright said.

"I'm not too sure what happened with all the boys leaving, but I had a close relationship with him and he gave me a ring as soon as it all happened and he wished me all the best."