Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

North Queensland Cowboys captain Johnathan Thurston has called for the NRL to introduce a five-minute sin-bin to deter defenders from taking out playmakers after they have passed the ball.

Speaking at the 2018 Telstra Premiership season launch in Sydney on Thursday, Thurston was quite vocal in suggesting the governing body reassess the rules regarding players whacking halves off the ball, adamant the game needed to do more to look after the little men.

''I just think we need to protect our players,'' Thurston said.

''It’s like when we took out the spear tackle and the punching and the shoulder charge. I think this is another thing we don’t need in our game. If you take it to the line, it’s fair game.

''But I’m talking about three seconds after you’ve thrown the ball and your body is all relaxed and someone jams you in the middle of the back and your neck gets whiplashed and you start getting tingles down your arm and start getting back spasms. You need to protect the players.''

384770-keith-galloway.jpg.7b5066796edde5cea75821285c7d3f05.jpg

Leeds Rhinos and former Wests Tigers fan-favourite Keith Galloway has announced his immediate retirement from professional rugby league.

Galloway, who was still contracted to the Rhinos, confirmed his decision in a statement on Thursday morning (AEDT).

The popular red-headed prop, currently in Australia recovering after rupturing his Achilles tendon for a second time last season, admits the time is right to hang up the boots at the elite level.

“It has been a tough decision but I know it is the right one for me and my family,” Galloway, who left the door open to returning to rugby league as an amateur, said.

“Despite my two major injuries at the Rhinos, I have loved being part of this fantastic club. I have made friendships that will last forever and I have enjoyed living in Leeds.

“The time is right for me to move onto the next chapter of my life. I haven’t decided yet if I will play on at some level, if possible I would like to finish my time on the field on my terms but that will not be as a full time professional now as I look towards a career after rugby.”

The 32-year-old joined the Rhinos in 2016 after a successful 210-game NRL career for Cronulla and Wests Tigers.

He managed 43 appearances for a Rhinos stint that was punctuated by Achilles injuries in 2016 and ’17.

Galloway made his NRL debut for the Sharks in 2003 as a 17-year-old high-school student.

He joined the Tigers in 2006, playing 173 games for the joint-venture club over 10 seasons.

The giant prop also played five Tests for the Kangaroos in 2011 and played one State of Origin for NSW in the same year.

23 minutes ago, Graham said:

North Queensland Cowboys captain Johnathan Thurston has called for the NRL to introduce a five-minute sin-bin to deter defenders from taking out playmakers after they have passed the ball.

Speaking at the 2018 Telstra Premiership season launch in Sydney on Thursday, Thurston was quite vocal in suggesting the governing body reassess the rules regarding players whacking halves off the ball, adamant the game needed to do more to look after the little men.

''I just think we need to protect our players,'' Thurston said.

''It’s like when we took out the spear tackle and the punching and the shoulder charge. I think this is another thing we don’t need in our game. If you take it to the line, it’s fair game.

''But I’m talking about three seconds after you’ve thrown the ball and your body is all relaxed and someone jams you in the middle of the back and your neck gets whiplashed and you start getting tingles down your arm and start getting back spasms. You need to protect the players.''

Why not? As long as it ensures the safety of the players...

But why 5 minutes and not 10? And why limit this to 'playmakers'? Any late tackle should be punished the same not depending on who the victim is. Next thing we know, the halves will be protected species like the NFL quarterbacks.

If a team fields a forward at 5/8 (Not quite sure if it has happened before, but you know, one day a coach is bound to think out of the box), is he too considered a playmaker/little man or is he fair game?

All things considered, although I like the intent, I don't like the proposed solution.

Late tackle, high tackle, spear tackle... penalty. And if it was deemed dangerous, a red card. Just follow the rule book. Things will improve very quickly.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

24 minutes ago, Graham said:

384770-keith-galloway.jpg.7b5066796edde5cea75821285c7d3f05.jpg

Leeds Rhinos and former Wests Tigers fan-favourite Keith Galloway has announced his immediate retirement from professional rugby league.

Galloway, who was still contracted to the Rhinos, confirmed his decision in a statement on Thursday morning (AEDT).

The popular red-headed prop, currently in Australia recovering after rupturing his Achilles tendon for a second time last season, admits the time is right to hang up the boots at the elite level.

“It has been a tough decision but I know it is the right one for me and my family,” Galloway, who left the door open to returning to rugby league as an amateur, said.

“Despite my two major injuries at the Rhinos, I have loved being part of this fantastic club. I have made friendships that will last forever and I have enjoyed living in Leeds.

“The time is right for me to move onto the next chapter of my life. I haven’t decided yet if I will play on at some level, if possible I would like to finish my time on the field on my terms but that will not be as a full time professional now as I look towards a career after rugby.”

The 32-year-old joined the Rhinos in 2016 after a successful 210-game NRL career for Cronulla and Wests Tigers.

He managed 43 appearances for a Rhinos stint that was punctuated by Achilles injuries in 2016 and ’17.

Galloway made his NRL debut for the Sharks in 2003 as a 17-year-old high-school student.

He joined the Tigers in 2006, playing 173 games for the joint-venture club over 10 seasons.

The giant prop also played five Tests for the Kangaroos in 2011 and played one State of Origin for NSW in the same year.

He was a young promising Shark. I always liked him, even when he played at the Tigers.

I think he was smashed by Hopoate while at Cronulla... an awful hit which could have gone very wrong.

He's had a good career and a lot to be happyproud about.

Enjoy your post-retirement career, Keith.

• Like 1

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

STORM captain Cameron Smith says the club’s troubled five-eighth Cameron Munster has turned the corner after a rocky off-season and is well on his way to sorting out the “small issues he has”.

Munster was pulled into line by Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy last year after the young playmaker got into a physical altercation with Ben Hunt while in camp with the Kangaroos during the World Cup.

That story prompted reports that the Storm were considering drastic action, with one NRL.com story suggesting he was close to getting released.

Close to getting released?

Surely not.

Too good to release.

Okay he's a bit of a maverick and tough with it.

He's at the best place in melbourne with Bellyache and mature players around setting the standard.

Manly have started talks with troubled teen Moses Suli and could become the young centre’s third club in just over a month, according to a Fairfax Media report.

Suli was sacked by the Bulldogs on Wednesday after a nightmare stint at Belmore that was marked by laziness and a lack of desire to put in for his massive contract.

According to the report, Suli and his manager were spotted with Manly officials at Narrabeen on Thursday morning to discuss an NRL lifeline.

The North Queensland Cowboys have announced that Michael Morgan has agreed to a five-year contract extension with the club.

Morgan, 26, will remain at the club until the end of the 2023 season as football staff plan long-term for life after Johnathan Thurston.

Thurston and Morgan will spearhead the Cowboys’ attack this season in what will be Thurston’s last year of playing, with Morgan stepping into the chief playmaker’s role from 2019 onwards.

It was a role he carried out with class and skill last year during the Cowboys’ golden run to a second grand final appearance in three seasons after Thurston was sidelined with injury.

“I’m stoked to be staying at the Cowboys, a club I grew up supporting and, later in life, proudly playing for,” Morgan said of his re-signing.

“Townsville is my home, I’ve been involved with the Cowboys since I was 17, I made my NRL debut as a Cowboy and all the positives in my career have come from me proudly wearing this great team’s colours.

Cowboys General Manager – Football Peter Parr said Morgan’s career at the club to date typified what it meant to be a homegrown Cowboy.

“Michael was a Townsville junior, was identified at an early age, and came up through our elite pathways system, from which point he earned an NRL contract with the club,” Parr said.

“It’s no secret the sort of career that Michael has had since then. Since making his NRL debut as a teenager in 2010, he has helped the club to its maiden premiership and two grand final appearances in three seasons. He’s also made his Queensland and Australian debuts while playing for the Cowboys, something he and the club can be extremely proud of.

“To have him remain a Cowboy for a further five seasons is tremendous news for Michael, the club and all of North Queensland.”

Is this a dig at Kearney by Hingano as he exits Warriors?

Ata Hingano has delivered a veiled but stinging swipe at Warriors coach Stephen Kearney.

On his way out the door after signing with Canberra this week, Hingano as much as stated Kearney wasn’t as good a coach as Ricky Stuart.

The 20-year-old playmaker was released by the Warriors to join the Raiders immediately, adding to Stuart’s halves depth in the nation’s capital.

And he shot a cheeky dig at his now-ex coach Kearney when speaking to the New Zealand Herald.

“The Raiders are missing a hooker but for me it’s more being under a coach that has success behind him and hopefully I can develop as a player,” Hingano said.

The implication is Kearney wasn’t going to better Hingano as a player, and therefor he feels Stuart is a better man to do the job.

The Warriors are the NRL’s perennial battlers and Kearney hasn’t been able to arrest the slide of the trans Tasman club.

The former Kiwis international coach will lead the Warriors again in 2018.

Hingano, meanwhile, will be moving to Canberra where he will bne trying to snatch the vacant hooker role at the Raiders.

With the two halves spots filled, Hingano will fight it out with Siliva Havili, Craig Garvey, and Sam Williams for the No. 9 jumper.

“The indication Canberra has given me is if I can prove myself and stand out in Cup games then ‘we’ll give you a crack’,” he said.

“I know they’ve got established halves but if I can get that development under Ricky, I can really challenge and try and get in front of them, or else just play consistent footy.

“But I don’t mind attacking other positions whether it’s hooker or half. I’ve just got to keep working hard for it.”

Edited by Graham

17 hours ago, Graham said:

Close to getting released?

Surely not.

Too good to release.

Okay he's a bit of a maverick and tough with it.

He's at the best place in melbourne with Bellyache and mature players around setting the standard.

He is a young man behaving like many do. The difference is he is in the spotlight. He just needs some help and guidance like many do. There is no better place than Melbourne for various reasons. I doubt the Storm will Release him unless he continually makes big problems for the club-which it is not by all Accounts, except for ###### stirring Journos. 

MATT Lodge is reportedly free to play in NRL Round 1 for the Brisbane Broncos despite the emergence of a shocking video, showing his violent rampage in a terrified family’s New York apartment.

The 2015 incident was exposed in footage for the first time on Friday (watch below). The CCTV vision shows the drunken, aggressive NRL player - who is a powerful 110kg - viciously attacking a defenceless man.

The Broncos are standing by their previous statements on Lodge and a club spokesman said they were limited by the fact there was an ongoing civil matter, which could yet end up before an Australian court.

It is believed club officials are under the impression he had reached out to his victims via correspondence two years ago to apologise. The couple’s lawyer Renan Varghese said neither he nor the victims had seen anything of the sort.

More Matthew Lodge opinion:  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-05/hinds-matthew-lodge-return-testing-nrls-scandal-threshold/9507650

And Lodge's days were clearly not filled with the acts of contrition and, particularly, compensation that would guarantee the privilege of playing in the NRL.

Again with the compensation. Where do these people think he's going to get $1 million from to pay the bill? Go back to his old brain surgeon job? I don't think he should be playing but you can't keep going on about the $$$ then ban him from the only possible avenue he has to ever get that kind of money.

Sydney Roosters enforcer Jared Waerea-Hargreaves says his troublesome knee has never felt better and, with a new baby at home, is ready to throw himself back into football.

The 29-year-old prop had a progressive stem-cell treatment in his knee over the off-season that curtailed his training program until January and limited his involvement across two trials to 30 minutes in the final hit-out against the Sea Eagles.

He also became a father for the second time a week ago when his wife Chelsea gave birth to the couple's second daughter, Harper, younger sister to two-year-old Zali.

"It's been a week today, everything's going good, Super-Mum's going good," Waerea-Hargreaves smiled on Monday.

TODD Carney has reportedly entered serious talks to join the North Queensland Cowboys in 2018 after declaring he is ready for another shot at the big time.

Carney returned to Australia in the summer in an attempt to land a shot at redemption with an NRL club and he is finally poised to do just that, according to Channel 7 reporter Josh Massoud.

Massoud on Monday night tweeted that Carney was on the verge of a one-year deal with the Cowboys as a back-up utility after recently undergoing testing with the club.

It is understood that Cronulla Sharks are still chasing the signature of Ben Barba. The former Dally M Medal winner is under contract at St Helens until the end of the 2019 season but with the way he is playing in Super League, a lot of people are expecting him to return to the NRL ahead of next season. Cronulla are believed to be very keen on bringing Barba back to the club.

The Parramatta Eels have re-signed outstanding young forward Daniel Alvaro on a one-year extension that will see him in the Blue and Gold until the end of the 2019 season.

The contract extension is the third in as many days for the Eels, with the Club continuing to lock in key players ahead of returning home to the new Western Sydney Stadium in 2019.

Parramatta Eels Head Coach Brad Arthur said, “Daniel has an outstanding work ethic, he’s an impressive young footballer on and off the field, and I’m confident he will continue his development over the next couple of seasons.”

Josh Dugan’s try celebration on Cronulla debut on Friday night had plenty of people talking.

Fox Sports commentators were among those baffled to see Dugan drop to one knee and then simulate wrapping something around his wrist after scoring his first Sharks try.

We can reveal the celebration is a nod to hit online video game ‘Fortnite’, which is all the rage with gamers at the moment.

Themovement Dugan simulated is the act a character in the game will make when they are using a health pack to heal themselves.

Now don't you feel soooooo much better for knowing that?

Yes, that's a minute of your life you are never going to get back.

Today’s been a good day for Nathan Browns; firstly, with news that the Knights are close to extending the contract of their head coach Nathan Brown, and now with the Eels re-signing a Nathan Brown of their own.

The Eels have announced the signing of forward Nathan Brown to a two-year extension with a third year option (the announcement doesn’t clarify if it’s a team or player option). The deal will see Brown remain with the club until at least the end of 2020.

Brown has played 54 first grade matches for the Eels, and 3 Tests for Italy.

ARL Commission Chair unable to name Cronulla Sharks!!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-13/peter-beattie-can-not-name-the-cronulla-sharks/9541774

"Before you're officially welcomed, you've got to answer one question," Gould said.

"The team that plays out of the Sutherland Shire — is it the Cronulla Hawks, the Cronulla Seagulls or the Cronulla Sharks?"

In an embarrassing faux pas, Beattie stumbled over his answer and seemed unable to name the 2016 premiers.

"I'll be honest, I wouldn't have a bloody clue but I'll know next week," Beattie said.

"It's got to be Cronulla of some kind.

"It's too bloody hard Gus, that's too difficult."

I listened to it. It was brilliant!

Alas he wasn't even taking the ######, if one of his later tweet is to be believed... The game is in good hands.

* Subject to change

What a pillick!

In almost the same breath he noted what a huge supporter of RL he is. He made out he was the sports number 1 fan.

Pathetic, especially considering he was in the Sharks changerooms on Friday night after the game, speaking with Gal.