Compassionate Conservatism

Get a grip

All of you

For ###### sake

Happy New Year! :jester:

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy New Year! :jester:

Thank you. It is New Year here, and has been for about 40 minutes. All the best to everyone. Here's hoping for a peaceful New Year. :yes:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Oh yes! There is!

I think that's a matter of opinion.  A zionist in my 'terms of reference' (to coin a phrase) is an extremist Israeli.  However, that wasn't the context of the comment I responded to; a comment that referred to an either/or of pro/anti-American or pro/anti-Israel.

The US was - in the form of a war of independence with one side fighting the other, man on man.  If memory serves, the French sided with the colonials just for the fun of it.

As for Israel, I do believe the formation of that country was a little more complex than you are making out.  However, I found this reference to the gang you mentioned in Britannica.com:

After the creation of the state of Israel (1948), the group, which had always been condemned by moderate leaders of the Jewish community in Palestine, was suppressed, some of its units being incorporated in the Israeli defense forces.

So while clearly they were a terrorist organisation by my 'terms of reference', they were not tolerated by the new nation of Israel.  So neither example is really comparable to the IRA.

Menachem Begin was the leader of the Stern gang, he became PM of Israel.  Jomo Kenyata, leader of Mau Mau in Kenya was portrayed as a ruthless terrorist, he became president of the independent Kenya. I could go on.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I think that's a matter of opinion.  A zionist in my 'terms of reference' (to coin a phrase) is an extremist Israeli.  However, that wasn't the context of the comment I responded to; a comment that referred to an either/or of pro/anti-American or pro/anti-Israel.

You really are showing your ignorance tonight. I should do a little reading before you come back on here. (not the Daily Mail)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Ladies n gents, tonight is New Year's Eve.

I don't want to be moderating when I should be partying.

If you can't be civil to each other, step away from the keyboard for a bit and put the telly on with a glass of something nice.

Locking this for now. It will re-open, possibly with a few edits, in the New Year, when everyone will be asked to return to the original topic.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Archived