Scoring system

If I'd been working for them, I'd have suggested that drop goals could only be attempted after a scrum had collapsed six times consecutively. Points available doubled if the pitch is more than three inches deep in mud.

Now we're getting somewhere.  I have some interesting ideas around the re-start of the ball goes out of play I'll share with you some time.  Clue: we're going to need some taller players (shhhh!)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see drop goals increasing in value in a match. The first one is worth one point, the next one two and so on. Balance that by removing one point more than it would be worth if the attempt is missed.

:pickeat:

So a team could effectively finish the game on negative points.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I do not have statistic evidence, but I think that the number of PGs is much smaller than RU.

I agree with that.  But you were implying that this is a bad thing (i.e. there are not enough penalty goals) when the vast majority of RL fans will absolutely want to keep it this way as the alternative is attacking running rugby.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I agree with that.  But you were implying that this is a bad thing (i.e. there are not enough penalty goals) when the vast majority of RL fans will absolutely want to keep it this way as the alternative is attacking running rugby.

In RL, there are too much tap-kick restart in the case of PK.  So the significance of penalties is too small.

And, goal from FK (1 point) should be allowed.

Tackling the opponents' ball-holder in the opponents in-goal is 1 point; and carry-back is opponents' 1 point.

As the immortal and much missed Graham Chapman would say... I'm stopping this now as its getting silly!

Archived