Scoring system

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about if you score a try under the sticks your next set of six is done with a multiball system, let's say 5 balls.

If you kick a penalty the opposition must wear clown shoes for 3 play the balls.

If you kick a drop goal an eagle is used to restart the game, with the ball dropped randomly in play. Maybe.

Any knock on is an instant red card. Unless you remembered to play your joker, which will be the fattest fan in the ground.

All forward passes will be ignored if you wear red....oh hang on.

I think the IRB have already copyrighted those rules!

I like the current system but think we should also have:

5 for a left-handed try

(or 5 for a right-handed one if you are left-handed.  A bit unfair on the ambidextrous but you can't please everyone)

4 for a penalty or conversion scored with your eyes shut

10 for a back-heeled drop goal

Some wonderful wit - my thanks to many contributors above.

Meanwhile, Tonka, don't worry about being unfair on the ambidextrous.  Let's face it, Ambidextra aren't exactly setting international RL alight and I cannot see them qualifying for the world cup any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...

The current scoring system is:

4 Try

2 Conversion

2 PG

1 DG

However, is this the best system?

For example, there are too many PGs in RU, but there are too small number of PGs in RL. So I would like to see the value of PG being increased from 2 to 3.

Let's discuss anything.

I would like to hear your reasoning for coming to the conclusion that there are not enough penalty goals in Rugby League.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'd like to see drop goals increasing in value in a match. The first one is worth one point, the next one two and so on. Balance that by removing one point more than it would be worth if the attempt is missed.

:pickeat:

...and the match was sealed by an 11 point drop goal by Leeds in the last minute...

I'd like to see drop goals increasing in value in a match. The first one is worth one point, the next one two and so on. Balance that by removing one point more than it would be worth if the attempt is missed.

:pickeat:

Do you work for the RFU and this is part of your master plan to make RL as boring as yawnion so they can make a complete takeover ?

RL evolved to get rid of the boring elements like lineouts, 5 minute scrums and constant to you / to me kickathon's. Anyhting that encourages more of these boring elements in our game needs stamping out not encouraging.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Do you work for the RFU and this is part of your master plan to make RL as boring as yawnion so they can make a complete takeover ?

RL evolved to get rid of the boring elements like lineouts, 5 minute scrums and constant to you / to me kickathon's. Anyhting that encourages more of these boring elements in our game needs stamping out not encouraging.

If I'd been working for them, I'd have suggested that drop goals could only be attempted after a scrum had collapsed six times consecutively. Points available doubled if the pitch is more than three inches deep in mud.

I read a suggestion somewhere that the point scoring system should be changed at the lower levels, with a punt goal being worth 6 points in veterans' games.

That's just reminded me of an under-11 game I played in where one of my team mates (Chris Richmond, whatever happened to him etc etc) punted it straight over the sticks, and the young ref gave it! I'm pretty sure Chris meant to drop-kick it...

Archived