Scoring system

The current scoring system is:

4 Try

2 Conversion

2 PG

1 DG

However, is this the best system?

For example, there are too many PGs in RU, but there are too small number of PGs in RL.  So I would like to see the value of PG being increased from 2 to 3.

Let's discuss anything.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would the game be more interesting/diverse if DG's were worth 2pts and conversions 3pts? In 1970 the ratio of a try to a DG was 3:2 and now it is 4:1

Or would the other extreme be better with reward only for tries (which I could see happening if scrums are abolished)?

Interesting.

And FK -- 1 point can be scored from FK

Just for the sake of throwing ideas out there, what about adopting the Nines rule that a try scored in the zone directly behind the posts gets 5 points? 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is that rule same in 7s?  And penalty-try too?

The rule was introduced (I think) for the Auckland Nines, so is very recent. 

I'd assume the rules for a penalty try would be the same in any form of RL.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Why not more points for a try outside the posts.

It seems a try behind the posts is normally a brute force one, that is a simple move normally straight from PTB, one pass to big forward and thump.

A try out wide is often a team try with many passes between backs and good handling skills.

Obviously some try's out wide are not always that, like a high kick won by winger... I would suggest more skills shown than the brute force one between the posts, etc...

Anyway can somebody whom suggests more for a try between posts is the more skillful.

No thanks.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Why not more points for a try outside the posts.

It seems a try behind the posts is normally a brute force one, that is a simple move normally straight from PTB, one pass to big forward and thump.

A try out wide is often a team try with many passes between backs and good handling skills.

Obviously some try's out wide are not always that, like a high kick won by winger... I would suggest more skills shown than the brute force one between the posts, etc...

Anyway can somebody whom suggests more for a try between posts is the more skillful.

also, the reward for scoring under the posts is already there in the form of an easy kick with near 100% success rates.

So many penalities are 'judgement' calls by referees that increasing a penalty goal's value above 2 points will just see players & teams invent new tactics to try and milk penalties if they're anywhere in the opposition half. Why waste time creating a try when you can get nearly as many points by conning the referee, law of averages says you'll get half of them.

The only possible change i'd like would be to devalue try's from kicks from 4 to 3 points. Its boring as hell when most teams just hoof the ball in the air on the last and hope there's a mistake. Reducing the value of try's from kicks should see more teams trying to be more inventive on the last tackle rather than just a kick & hope.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

How about if you score a try under the sticks your next set of six is done with a multiball system, let's say 5 balls.

If you kick a penalty the opposition must wear clown shoes for 3 play the balls.

If you kick a drop goal an eagle is used to restart the game, with the ball dropped randomly in play. Maybe.

Any knock on is an instant red card. Unless you remembered to play your joker, which will be the fattest fan in the ground.

All forward passes will be ignored if you wear red....oh hang on.

How about if you score a try under the sticks your next set of six is done with a multiball system, let's say 5 balls.

If you kick a penalty the opposition must wear clown shoes for 3 play the balls.

If you kick a drop goal an eagle is used to restart the game, with the ball dropped randomly in play. Maybe.

Any knock on is an instant red card. Unless you remembered to play your joker, which will be the fattest fan in the ground.

All forward passes will be ignored if you wear red....oh hang on.

I see a fatal flaw in your plan though - I dont think Stuart Hall is available to Ref the new style game ! ;)

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived