• Police Commissioner elections
    • Welsh Assembly elections
    • Scottish Parliament elections
    • Northern Ireland Assembly elecetions
    • London Mayor election
    • Other election(s) happening on 5th May
    • Can't vote in any election on 5th May
    • Won't use my vote in any election(s) on 5th May
    • I had no idea there were any elections on 5th May till you just mentioned it.
  2. 2. What will influence your vote?

• National issues.
    • Local issues.
    • Party allegiance.
    • Affinity for a particular candidate.
    • Whichever side of the bed you get out of on polling day.
    • Other reason.
    • Nothing. A plague on all their houses.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a strange old time in my local ward since the election. We were on a high after winning our seat with a majority of 912 and seeing Labour increase its majority on the Council.

But three days later, our successful candidate who had also been the leader of Bradford Council for the past four years was narrowly and controversially voted out of that position.

He and a fellow ward councillor who was previously on the Council Executive have since not been offered any roles by the new Council leader.

Our third ward councillor, died on Sunday morning after a long battle with cancer.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/14494064.Tributes_paid_to_senior_Bradford_councillor_who_died_today/

We now face the prospect of a by-election, on a date yet to be determined, but likely, I would imagine, to coincide with the EU referendum.

It's been a strange old time in my local ward since the election. We were on a high after winning our seat with a majority of 912 and seeing Labour increase its majority on the Council.

But three days later, our successful candidate who had also been the leader of Bradford Council for the past four years was narrowly and controversially voted out of that position.

He and a fellow ward councillor who was previously on the Council Executive have since not been offered any roles by the new Council leader.

Our third ward councillor, died on Sunday morning after a long battle with cancer.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/14494064.Tributes_paid_to_senior_Bradford_councillor_who_died_today/

We now face the prospect of a by-election, on a date yet to be determined, but likely, I would imagine, to coincide with the EU referendum.

Any reasons? Wild speculation will do!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Any reasons? Wild speculation will do!

Here's how the local paper reported things.

Councillor Susan Hinchcliffe to be elected new leader of Bradford Council

Former Bradford Council leader David Green speaks about 'funny old week' after being ousted from top role... and starts job hunting

New council leader Susan Hinchcliffe unveils her top team - and there's no place for her predecessor David Green

My own view is inevitably be clouded by the fact that David Green is my ward councillor and I've just spent the past couple of months campaigning alongside him.

I think it is a bit odd that the public have just voted Labour back into office in Bradford with an increased majority, suggesting something of an endorsement for what the Council was doing and the way it was being led, and now its leadership has been completely changed for reasons that as yet I don't think have been satisfactorily explained by anyone.

Politics, eh.

Seems to be something to do with ear rings....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Here's how the local paper reported things.

Councillor Susan Hinchcliffe to be elected new leader of Bradford Council

Former Bradford Council leader David Green speaks about 'funny old week' after being ousted from top role... and starts job hunting

New council leader Susan Hinchcliffe unveils her top team - and there's no place for her predecessor David Green

My own view is inevitably be clouded by the fact that David Green is my ward councillor and I've just spent the past couple of months campaigning alongside him.

I think it is a bit odd that the public have just voted Labour back into office in Bradford with an increased majority, suggesting something of an endorsement for what the Council was doing and the way it was being led, and now its leadership has been completely changed for reasons that as yet I don't think have been satisfactorily explained by anyone.

Politics, eh.

So he hadn't "completed his four-year term" as reported?

So he hadn't "completed his four-year term" as reported?

It's an interesting use of language.

Suggests it was either a voluntary or unavoidable change.

It wasn't.

It's an interesting use of language.

Suggests it was either a voluntary or unavoidable change.

It wasn't.

I've seen a lot of mention on social media of Susan Hinchcliffe being "from Bradford" whereas Dave Green obviously isn't. Can't be a simple case of regionalism can it?

I've seen a lot of mention on social media of Susan Hinchcliffe being "from Bradford" whereas Dave Green obviously isn't. Can't be a simple case of regionalism can it?

I doubt it. He has been an elected councillor in Bradford for 25 years and has lived in the city even longer.

Sam Macrory ‏@sammacrory  27m

And over in the Welsh Assembly, Neil Hamilton calls Leanne Wood "a political concubine in Carwyn's harem" & a "cheap date". Welcome back..

Archived