• Police Commissioner elections
    • Welsh Assembly elections
    • Scottish Parliament elections
    • Northern Ireland Assembly elecetions
    • London Mayor election
    • Other election(s) happening on 5th May
    • Can't vote in any election on 5th May
    • Won't use my vote in any election(s) on 5th May
    • I had no idea there were any elections on 5th May till you just mentioned it.
  2. 2. What will influence your vote?

• National issues.
    • Local issues.
    • Party allegiance.
    • Affinity for a particular candidate.
    • Whichever side of the bed you get out of on polling day.
    • Other reason.
    • Nothing. A plague on all their houses.

So with one council to declare Labour have lost 23 seats and the Tories have lost double that at 46. So the Tories have done twice as bad. Moreover, the BBC have the national projected share of the vote at Lab 31%, Con 30%, Lib Dem 15%, UKIP 12%

Very odd that this is being presented as bad for Labour.

It isn't being presented as bad for Labour.  It's being presented as not good for Labour.  Labour should have trounced the Tories.  Like I wrote earlier, outside of an election year this is the first time an opposition party has lost seats in the local elections since 1985.  And Labour is in its worst position in Scotland since universal suffrage was achieved.  Tories may have lost loads of seats but that is to be expected mid term for the sitting government.  However, they only lost one council but gained another.  Labour lost one council. Labour didn't achieve a majority government in Wales and Labour slipped to third position in Holyrood.  Only in the London mayoral race did Labour actually achieve anything.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the usual suspects have nothing to say about the rampant islamaphobia that is now official policy within the Tory Party? Figures.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

So the usual suspects have nothing to say about the rampant islamaphobia that is now official policy within the Tory Party? Figures.

Look, just because the Tories ran an official and hightly visibke campaign based on stoking anti Muslim feeling does not mean we should call them anti Muslim.

Something something Livingstone something.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Had Labour an able leader and credible policies, they would have actually made some progress. As it was, they went backwards when, following the pattern of previous elections, they expected to win many more local council seats. If they'd lost the 2 Parliamentary by elections, then they would have reason to worry.

In Wales, Labour suffered something like a 20% reduction in the share of the vote from something like 43% to 34% approx and does not have an overall majority. In Wales, FFS!!!

In Scotland, Labour came in 3rd place. That really must have taken some inspired campaigning by Labour!

The only possible in all this was the London Mayoral victory where the voters spoke clearly, unambiguously and unequivocally. Keep an eye on Khan...you may just have seen the future for Labour.

Look, just because the Tories ran an official and hightly visibke campaign based on stoking anti Muslim feeling does not mean we should call them anti Muslim.

Something something Livingstone something.

######.. Still waiting for the names of "the usual suspects"

######.. Still waiting for the names of "the usual suspects"

Then watch 'The Usual Suspects'. 

Labour are rubbish at the moment, but the definition of antisemitism has been stretched to equality with Islam IMO.  This is why there have been campaigns for banning the ritual slaughter of animals, but excluding kosher.  It is why there is a campaign about Labour antisemitism problem, while at the time running a nudge-nudge campaign that Khan is a bit dodgy, y'know - takes Fridays off campaign.

The term is now abused by the right as much as racism has been abused by the left, at this particular moment I would say more so, but hopefully for not as long.

The fact is that there are people who are racist, but most people in Britain are racist and most who are racist are only a bit racist.  Which is why, as you reasonably point out, Khan could well be successful Labour party leader.  It would appear that the anti-Muslim campaign backfired as much as it worked, and that the Conservative party are blaming it all on Zac Goldsmith would appear to suggest that they think the same.

The idea that there is a huge vein of anti-Jewish racism in Britain is ######.  I am also aware I had this argument in Oxford several times with people, who were frankly very racist (as in they thought I should accept my ethnic inferiority to Jews).  If antisemitism in the original sense of anti-Jewish was a major thing, it would have affected Milliband.  He was instead unpopular as he sounded like a geeky school pupil.

While GingerJon is a little factious, I do agree with him.

I also very much agree with you on how ###### Labour are.  I put this down to many MP's acting like spoilt children.  But this is similar to when petty players refuse to play for a coach, it is easier to replace the coach than all the players.

Now I am thinking back to what a good player Bobby Goulding was, as I have had a couple of beers.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

My representitive here in Rotherham has hardly surfaced yet..3 months of graft to hold off ukip.... then 3 days of celebration.... jeez have they partied.

Back to it tomorrow.... 4 more years of community servitude to do.... He loves it.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

:biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Desperation stakes when you contradict your own party's assessment. I  know you left wing Corbyn groupies like to re-write history but puleeze... have the decency to wait a few more days before doing it..   Clue: Labour lost 18 seats. UKIP gained 25 vand the Lib Dems gained 31   

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2016/may/05/uk-election-results-tracker-2016

You need to add the number of seats contested - by number and as a proportion of the whole. You do realise don't you that not all councillors were up for re-election? Or have you not been told by Spin Central?

Can you also post a similar infographic for Scotland and Wales?  

:biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Desperation stakes when you contradict your own party's assessment. I  know you left wing Corbyn groupies like to re-write history but puleeze... have the decency to wait a few more days before doing it..   Clue: Labour lost 18 seats. UKIP gained 25 vand the Lib Dems gained 31   

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2016/may/05/uk-election-results-tracker-2016

You need to add the number of seats contested - by number and as a proportion of the whole. You do realise don't you that not all councillors were up for re-election? Or have you not been told by Spin Central?

Can you also post a similar infographic for Scotland and Wales?  

The general trend seems to be Labour and UKIP up in big cities but a swing from Labour to Conservatives in small working class towns. Basically they'll increase majorities in many seats but lose the swing seats they need for a majority by much larger margins.

This map shows the ares where elections were held..and not held.  There were no election in Lincolnshire, but had there been, the indications are that UKIP would have won more at the expense of Left Unity

400px-2016_local_election_results_map.pn

Metros

There are 36 metropolitan boroughs

3 of 36 Metropolitan boroughs had all of their seats up for election.

32 of 36 Metropolitan boroughs had one-third of their seats up for election

Unitary authorities

There are 55 unitary authorities

3 unitary authorities had all of their seats up for election

16 unitary authorities had one-third of their seats up for election

District councils

There are 201 district councils

12 District Councils had all of their seats up for election

7 District Councils had half of their seats up for election

51 District Councils had one-third of their seats up for election

This map shows the ares where elections were held..and not held. There were no election in Lincolnshire, but had there been, the indications are that UKIP would have won more at the expense of Left Unity

400px-2016_local_election_results_map.pn

Metros

There are 36 metropolitan boroughs

3 of 36 Metropolitan boroughs had all of their seats up for election.

32 of 36 Metropolitan boroughs had one-third of their seats up for election

Unitary authorities

There are 55 unitary authorities

3 unitary authorities had all of their seats up for election

16 unitary authorities had one-third of their seats up for election

District councils

There are 201 district councils

12 District Councils had all of their seats up for election

7 District Councils had half of their seats up for election

51 District Councils had one-third of their seats up for election

I never knew that Left Unity had any council seats. You live and learn.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

13119945_10209649783827955_6177966853734

All from different election cycles though so no direct comparison , I'm sure it gives a comfort blanket though.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

http://www.theguardian.com/global/commentisfree/2016/may/08/jeremy-corbyn-local-election-results-labour-leadership?CMP=share_btn_tw

This is an another angle from the Guardian worst performance by a new opposition leader in 50 years , no one else lost council seats.

Just to be clear it's not a disaster but I would have normally expected better especially as the Tories are in the middle of a EU split.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

All from different election cycles though so no direct comparison , I'm sure it gives a comfort blanket though.

Yes, of course it was from a different election cycle. The cycle is such that the seats being contested on Thursday were the same ones fought in 2012 when Labour had 38% of the popular vote, took 823 seats off the Tories and LibDems. For Labour to make any further gains it would have taken Dodgy Dave to get up to his porcine love antics live on Britain's Got Talent every Saturday night for preceding month.

They were down on seats. it's a shame that seems to be the best strategy hope the Tories do something daft. Well I think that's not good enough as much as it seems to be Labours best hope. I wonder if Sadiq Khan could be the next leader ?

[

They were down on seats. it's a shame that seems to be the best strategy hope the Tories do something daft. Well I think that's not good enough as much as it seems to be Labours best hope. I wonder if Sadiq Khan could be the next leader ?

But the Tories lost more, so that makes everything OK. :dry:

Labour need to look at the seats they are conceding to UKIP.

Edit to add:

When he was elected leader lots of Corbyn supporters were predicting that he would bring back the dissolutioned non voters. Looking at the turnout numbers they seem their usual disappointing low.

Not seats but votes , in tight races the votes they lose to UKIP will mean something.

[

Not seats but votes , in tight races the votes they lose to UKIP will mean something.

Indeed. UKIP came second in a fair number of urban wards.

Wonder what the Euro Ref hanging over everything had on the UKIP vote?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived